Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out with the guys at the Midwest sv rally today and had a problem after leaving from dinner.

I turned the ignition on and started up the bike no problem, but after like 2 maybe 3 seconds it cut out. No ignition no nothing.

I turned the ignition switch on and off a few times and eventually every thing came back on.

We took a look at it after gettin it back to the motel and couldn't make the problem happen again. I checked my green connectors (wiggled around the wires and it didn't cut out or anything) and I just couldn't get the bike to show the same problem again.

Me and Raul checked the voltage on the battery and it was a little low but not enough to cause any issues.

Anyone know what I can check out?

I'm like 185 miles from home and really wanna make sure im
Up and running good.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
You probably already checked, but make sure the battery terminals are tight.

Did you completely unplug the green ignition switch connector and visually inspect, or just wiggle? If not, the green connector is a prime suspect. There are three release tabs on the green connector, two opposite each other, one in between. The one in between is the only one that need be lifted to open the connector. Good luck.

·
Vendor
182 Posts
+1 on checking the connectors. Take every one you can clear apart and inspect it if you can see it. Taking apart and reinstalling is much better than a "wiggle" if there is corrosion present. Probably not the battery, but while you are there, take the terminals OFF and scrape them with a knife to remove dry corrosion. This could lead to the battery not charging well but that is rare. Try tapping the ignition switch itself if it happens again, the electrical parts at the bottom might be dirty ( not likely, but who cares if you are beside a road trying to get home!).

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike ran great today so I haven't touched it. I'm gonna tear all this apart tomorrow when I get home and get to the bottom of it. I'm running on hopes and prayers at this point, hopefully I dont have to tow it home.

Thanks for the advice though! I'm gonna tear the connector wires apart when I get home. Everything was taken apart already and the wires were directly connected but it was a pretty hack job of wiring. I'll make sure to clean it all and solder it.
Fingers crossed that that was what needs to be fixed, if not it might be quite a pain to find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts