Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an issue with battery not charging when revving. Probably a stator issue as I've had something similar happen in the past. Anyone around the Tempe area familiar with electrical issues and willing to give a quick primer on diagnostics? I would t/s myself but I'm bad with electrical and I don't feel like spending 50 at a shop for what amounts to testing a few holes\terminals with a voltmeter.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I've heard the first gens had trouble with the regulator/rectifier. A cheap battery tester available at any auto part store will help. Connect to battery and you should have @ 13 volts at idle, going up to 14.5 -15 volts at 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found an old voltmeter. It's at 12.01 Idle and at 5k rpm it goes up to 12.4-12.5 range. I replaced stator last year. It was a headache to deal with.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
I found an old voltmeter. It's at 12.01 Idle and at 5k rpm it goes up to 12.4-12.5 range. I replaced stator last year. It was a headache to deal with.
If you replaced stator, then probably your best bet to replace the regulator/rectifier. There are several threads about this.

You get it fixed or still need help?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"If you replaced stator, then probably your best bet to replace the regulator/rectifier. There are several threads about this.

You get it fixed or still need help?"

You'd think so but the stator I put in was in questionable shape. But of course you could be right. I still could use help if you're offering.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
12.5 is still low. When I get to a real computer I can link D'Eccosse thread, or you can just search it.

·
Greetings Program
6,272 Posts
12.5 is still low. When I get to a real computer I can link D'Eccosse thread, or you can just search it.
You can also check the three coils of the stator independently. While running check output voltage at each of the three pins that feed into the reg/rec - at 5k rpm should be in the 50-60V range iirc, and all should be nearly the same. If one is low (or only one is high), then you have a bad coil (or 2) in the stator.

If the stator checks out fine from that test, it's probably a bad reg/rec. You can also search YouTube for "motorcycle stator test" - there are a few really good vids, and one links back to another for the reg/rec by the same shop.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
The other test is to measure the resistance between each stator line. The YouTube search should bring up both tests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts