Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Boston and soon very soon it will be 20-15 degrees and need of electric vest.Has anyone installed one?If so what brand,where to purchase and anything else I should know.Do I have to worry about drainting the battery?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Gerbing and Widder are the blue-chip in this market. I have an Aerostich Darien with a Kanetsu integrated liner. It's not as warm as the Gerbing and Widder, but it zips in and out really nicely. I'd recommend that if you are considering the Aero gear.

If your charging system is working properly, it won't drain your battery. And it will make winter riding SO much more pleasant. I rode without electrics for my NH-Cambridge commute until it got to around 30F, and it was unpleasant.

I bought the electrics after I moved to Philly, so I haven't seen temperatures below 20, but it's been pleasant to 30 or so. If you're more flush than I am, you may want to put a rheostat on the connection to regulate heat. I've actually broken a sweat when the temperature went above 40 and the heater was on.

As for wiring, I've found that it's hard to do a clean installation- I just tuck the leads from the battery under the seat (and the + side is covered in rubber using the SAE connectors.

An electric vest might seem expensive, but it's a good thing. I'd try just the vest to start before doing heated gloves and pants. If you warm your core, your body keeps pumping blood to your extremities, and they feel warm too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reverendlex said:
Gerbing and Widder are the blue-chip in this market. I have an Aerostich Darien with a Kanetsu integrated liner. It's not as warm as the Gerbing and Widder, but it zips in and out really nicely. I'd recommend that if you are considering the Aero gear.

If your charging system is working properly, it won't drain your battery. And it will make winter riding SO much more pleasant. I rode without electrics for my NH-Cambridge commute until it got to around 30F, and it was unpleasant.

I bought the electrics after I moved to Philly, so I haven't seen temperatures below 20, but it's been pleasant to 30 or so. If you're more flush than I am, you may want to put a rheostat on the connection to regulate heat. I've actually broken a sweat when the temperature went above 40 and the heater was on.

As for wiring, I've found that it's hard to do a clean installation- I just tuck the leads from the battery under the seat (and the + side is covered in rubber using the SAE connectors.

An electric vest might seem expensive, but it's a good thing. I'd try just the vest to start before doing heated gloves and pants. If you warm your core, your body keeps pumping blood to your extremities, and they feel warm too.
Thanks a lot,very helpful.Does Gerbing come with the connectors?or I must purchase the wiring parts seperetly. and how much of a PINA is istalling heated grips

1 - 4 of 4 Posts