Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the bike 3 weeks ago (my first bike yay) and I've been riding it every other day or so to get used to it and suddenly it wont turn on. Fuel pump runs like normal. bike is in neutral (I've tried all gears), kill-switch is off, side stand is up, clutch is held in and when I go to press the starter absolutely nothing happens, no clicks, no noises. Dash and lights are all working correctly. Bump starting doesn't do anything either. Here's what I got so far:

2.8 quarts of Valvoline 4 stroke 10w40
New battery (I've tried two different ones both fully charged)
Clutch is good, ran through all of it to see if it wasn't engaging
The starter relay clicks ONCE when I turn the key to ignition (idk if this is normal)
I tried bridging the starter relay with a screwdriver and it didn't do anything although I don't think I did it correctly so I'll try again

And that's all I got, please help :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I bought the bike 3 weeks ago (my first bike yay) and I've been riding it every other day or so to get used to it and suddenly it wont turn on. Fuel pump runs like normal. bike is in neutral (I've tried all gears), kill-switch is off, side stand is up, clutch is held in and when I go to press the starter absolutely nothing happens, no clicks, no noises. Dash and lights are all working correctly. Bump starting doesn't do anything either. Here's what I got so far:

The starter relay clicks ONCE when I turn the key to ignition (idk if this is normal)
I tried bridging the starter relay with a screwdriver and it didn't do anything although I don't think I did it correctly so I'll try again

I had the same issue, it ended up being the switch in the clutch leaver. To test, pull the plug off the switch and jump the plug with a u shape wire. Mine started...
I was able to take the switch apart clean it and put it back together and wala..
If the clutch leaver switch checks out do the same with the kick stand switch.
Worth a try..
Yes fuel pump and click are normal..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same issue, it ended up being the switch in the clutch leaver. To test, pull the plug off the switch and jump the plug with a u shape wire. Mine started...
I was able to take the switch apart clean it and put it back together and wala..
Worth a try..
Alright I'll try it out, I finally got some time off work and I'll post back tomorrow, thanks man

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
You can test the kickstand switch by leaving the bike in gear (not neutral) and the stand down. Turn the key on and you should not hear the fuel pump prime. Then, put the stand up and the fuel pump should prime.

So, if the fuel pump primes, all the safety cut switches (kill, neutral, stand) are satisfied. That leaves the clutch switch.

The clutch lever on my cousin's Triumph Bonneville has a little bit of up and down play and if you don't pull it straight back (like if you pull it back and up) it won't trip the clutch switch.

So, take a look under the lever and watch carefully to see if the lever actually depresses the switch, and obviously check to be sure it's plugged in properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worth a try..
Yep. clutch switch was barely holding on and basically fell out by touching it, fixed it all, thanks man

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can test the kickstand switch by leaving the bike in gear (not neutral) and the stand down. Turn the key on and you should not hear the fuel pump prime. Then, put the stand up and the fuel pump should prime.

So, if the fuel pump primes, all the safety cut switches (kill, neutral, stand) are satisfied. That leaves the clutch switch.

The clutch lever on my cousin's Triumph Bonneville has a little bit of up and down play and if you don't pull it straight back (like if you pull it back and up) it won't trip the clutch switch.

So, take a look under the lever and watch carefully to see if the lever actually depresses the switch, and obviously check to be sure it's plugged in properly.
I did actually test the kick stand switch cuz I was looking around online and heard about that but never anything about clutch switch until this post, and yep it was the clutch switch, barely hanging in there, plugged it back in and works like a charm, thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts

Yep. clutch switch was barely holding on and basically fell out by touching it, fixed it all, thanks man
No worries, happy to help..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts