Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php

Who is going to buy a silent bike? Or a street bike with a max sustained speed of 75mph? I wonder who was able to come up with the money to back up this oxymoron idea... Oh, and don't forget the hours of charging time and 40-60 miles highway range ... What a sad joke... I say "no" to electric bike!

·
Registered
6,546 Posts

Who is going to buy a silent bike? Or a street bike with a max sustained speed of 75mph? I wonder who was able to come up with the money to back up this oxymoron idea... Oh, and don't forget the hours of charging time and 40-60 miles highway range ... What a sad joke... I say "no" to electric bike!
People that live is San Francisco ;D
If you think about it actually makes sense. Short trip to and from work and bike on charger while at work.
May not see any in Kansas :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's sad that you are so closed minded. We all want a bike that doesn't use gas that can go 200 miles on a single charge. We aren't there yet. You can purchase home chargers for the Zero that will cut the charge time down to a few hours. This isn't the bike that you ride for hours on the freeway. When am I ever going to ride faster than 75mph in the city? I say YES to electric bikes. They are only going to get better and evolve with time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The only thing I'm concerned about is that the bike is silent. Ive seen a few here in SF and even saw one ride by me in a Ducati/Triumph dealer while I was standing looking around. The thing just snuck by me. On the other hand, no gas is pretty awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
850 Posts
I don't understand the problem with it being silent? Of course, I don't buy into the "loud pipes saves lives" thing. Being alert and driving defensively will do you more good than being heard. I doubt most people hear me until I'm past with the stock SV pipes.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts

Um...a LOT of people. Apparently you don't know trends or desires beyond your narrow world view.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The Brammo is a lot more awesome looking than the Zero. 100 mile range? Perfect. I'll take one :)

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Our long term goals include buying a farm so that my wife can have her horse at home and then get a couple more. I will, of course, want a dirt bike to play around with on our farm. You know what would be a great bike to screw around on for a while that wouldn't upset the horses and neighbors? A SILENT electric bike. A Zero is at the top of my list of toys to buy as soon as we get our farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I totally welcome different opinions normally heard on these forums, but I definitely don't consider myself "narrow-minded". Life is all about balance. If this point of the scale works for you, great. For me, it does not.

I FIRMLY believe in "LOUD PIPES". This might not be very applicable in your kind of place, but here around NJ/NY/PA, in cities like NYC, Philadelphia, and other places I ride I am constantly surrounded by cars, and it matters. I have seen people changing lanes into the one where the bike is but never with an obnoxiously loud Harley. Have countless examples, from this area, but that's a matter for a different thread...

What we all like in our SV is its versatility. Electric bike will not have this. Do I care about fuel prices to justify a zero emissions for my bike? Not as much as all those monstrous SUVs I see around me should...

And last but not least, you know what 75mph means? It means that you will not have nearly enough power to get out of the way of that semi at 70 mph that suddenly decides to change lane into yours. This electric toys are good at low speed where they have tons of torque ( and no sound!! :-() but don't you get it what 88mph top speed means, and thats not even sustained?

That means with a fresh battery and lighter rider, your engine power will equal something that 125-250cc gas engine will produce - something around 10-25hp. This will be a cruel joke on NJ turnpike where most of the traffic is moving at 85-90mph these days. I am not laughing...

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
1. A lot of people want electric bikes, that's why there are at least 4 separate companies manufacturing electric bikes.
2. You're about two years behind the curve for complaining about this.
3. How often do you need 75mph in the city, and how often are people hearing your pipes on the freeway? With a little more research you might begin to understand the common causes behind the majority of traffic accidents and why neither speed nor sound will save you...

And while I'm on the topic of research, you probably should do a little more research into electric bikes. Did you know there is a full race class dedicated to them on many circuits, as well as the IOMTT? Those sure as hell don't max out at 75mph. This thread is like saying the Chevy Volt will never be a Corvette without knowing anything about a Tesla...

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Come back in a few years, ym, when your horizons are broader and you understand more of the nuances of riding and differing riders' needs.

Oh, and point your pipes forward so that noise can be put to good use. Otherwise, you've been proven wrong o'er and o'er.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Electricity is not free, I would first want to see a cost comparison, it would have to be a lot cheaper to offset the refueling time

does your employer pay for your gasoline to drive home?

plug in at work sounds convenient but I doubt it will happen most places of employment

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Electricity is not free, I would first want to see a cost comparison, it would have to be a lot cheaper to offset the refueling time

plug in at work sounds convenient but I doubt it will happen most places of employment
This is what concerns me about electric vehicles. I over heard on the local news that businesses were gonna soon start implementing charging costs when you plug your electric vehicle in to charge. So it will kinda be like your filling your tank up with gas. Will eventually electric vehicles be cost effective? I'm not sure. Something to watch I guess and see what happens.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts

They already have "pay as you go" charging stations. I don't know how installation costs are offset, but agree there is no free lunch. Electric vehicles may not be burning hydrocarbons directly, but until the entire electric grid moves to 100% solar/nuclear/wind/tides/hydro, they are being burned somewhere.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Exactly. The carbon footprint electric vehicles create are WAY larger than their fossil fuel counterparts. Google where lithium ion batteries come from. And when they're dead, what you have to do to process them to make them safe for the environment. And if you're plugging in your bike, the juice has gotta come from somewhere. I know in ABQ, it comes from a coal-burning plant about 3 hours away.

The local Ducati/Triumph dealer carries the Zero electrics. I sat on one, wasn't impressed. Felt like a plastic toy. Or like a child's dirtbike. The sales guy asked me if I wanted to take one out for a spin, I declined, and went back to looking at Streetfighters and Speed Triples.

The Brammo Empulse, on the other hand... that's a good looking bike! I like the headlight, hehe...

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I want one!!

I've got a 60 mile round trip commute. To not use gas for that would save me a ton of money.

My truck is approx. $500 a week
SV is approx $20 a week

For me though the price just isn't good enough for me to justify dropping my trusty ol' SV.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It isn't a cross country tourer. It's a perfect commuting bike. I don't see it as any worse than something like a Rebel, TW200, or even a DRZ.

1 - 20 of 287 Posts