Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you already know I am regearing my bike. I have been told I will need an impact wrench to remove the front sprocket. Someone told me they make electric ones. Where can I get one anybody have any experience???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
i dunno how crazy your gonna have to get as far as torque but if its gonna be a high amount get the pneumatic. I have 3/4 electric impact and my half inch pneumatic has an obvious amount of extra power. Electrics do have their convenient points tho so if you just need somethin for "light or normal" use it should b efine. By the way my electric one is a Makita.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
toobrokeforthat said:
i dunno how crazy your gonna have to get as far as torque but if its gonna be a high amount get the pneumatic.  I have 3/4 electric impact and my half inch pneumatic has an obvious amount of extra power.  Electrics do have their convenient points tho so if you just need somethin for "light or normal" use it should b efine.  By the way my electric one is a Makita.
A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well actually I don't really know what I need. I am just starting to wrench on my bike and was told I would need to use an impact wrench to get the front sproket off my bike. I won't use this wrench on anything but my bike so would a smaller less powerfull wrench be ok?

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
B.C. said:
  Well actually I don't really know what I need. I am just starting to wrench on my bike and was told I would need to use an impact wrench to get the front sproket off my bike. I won't use this wrench on anything but my bike so would a smaller less powerfull wrench be ok?

Thanks
Generally speaking, you don't need a very powerful impact gun for workign on your SV... except for that countershaft nut and a couple others :-\
If you ever wanted to get an air compressor for anything else then this might be a good excuse. Even a small one would do fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
I've taken countershaft sprockets off lots of times with an electric impact, a good rule of thumb is as long as it costs you over $50 it will probably work fine! ;) If you get the $25 eBay special made in Timbuktu, you may not have such good luck....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw some electric impact wrench on craftsman's page that did 300ft pounds is that alot for an impact wrench? It was 225$ What is a good cheaper one? What exactly does an impact wrench do and when do you use it? Told you I was just starting out. Thanks alot fot all the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
jarelj said:
I've taken countershaft sprockets off lots of times with an electric impact, a good rule of thumb is as long as it costs you over $50 it will probably work fine!  ;)  If you get the $25 eBay special made in Timbuktu, you may not have such good luck....
Fooking Timbuktu..... thats funny as shit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Ours is a Dewalt, and it's good. I've always had good luck with Craftsman stuff as well. Things are Harbor Freight are hit-and-miss, some of it is usable and some is junk. Check out overstock.com, sometimes they have good deals on closeout power tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,458 Posts
B.C. said:
  Well actually I don't really know what I need. I am just starting to wrench on my bike and was told I would need to use an impact wrench to get the front sproket off my bike. I won't use this wrench on anything but my bike so would a smaller less powerfull wrench be ok?

Thanks
The $50-$60 Harbor Freight one works fine for me. If I used it all the time I'd have sprung for a better one, but I only need it at the track since I've got air tools at the shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,347 Posts
Have you actually tried it with a breaker bar? An impact gun's by no means essential. Still good to have, and you may find that you can't shift it with a bar, but don't asume that you'll need one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awsome! Thanks alot. I will have to check out overstock. Next week I should start tearing my forks off and installing a new rear set and shock. For some good laughs check out my posts on how that goes. If I get the impact wrench I will also be putting on my new Driven sprokets and chain. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,458 Posts
B.C. said:
Dumb question but what is Harbour Freight? Web page maybe? Would I want 1/2 or 3/8 drive?
Big discount tool outfit. Retail stores, catalogs, web site. Most of their stuff is on the cheap side, sometimes even bordering on downright crap. Any tool you use a lot, get elsewhere, but for the occasional use stuff there are some deals to be had.
I've only seen the impact wrenches in 1/2" drive.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top