Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do I need? What should I look for? What should I stay away from? Pros? Cons?

They look super cool and are extraordinarily bright....but beyond that I know nothing.

Edit: I saw that there are color options.....how does that affect brightness? Is it legal?

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
You need a kit that includes the bulbs in the same form-factor as your current bulbs, matched ballasts, and ideally some new relays and fuses. You can get HID Conversion Kits that include the bulbs and ballasts. If your bike has H4 bulbs stock (which I think it does), you want to find an H4 HID Conversion Kit. The HID bulbs should fit into your stock headlight setup (but may require some trimming or grinding here and there to work). Of course, you'll also have to find a place to stash the ballasts, and have to wire everything up.

I suggest that while you're doing that, you also re-wire so that the headlight switch is just driving the low and high beam relays, and you have the ballasts wired directly to the battery (fused, of course) so that you don't have so much current going through that switch on the handlebar. I think it's also a good idea to include a diode to ensure that the lowbeam stays on when you hit the high, because I believe it takes a second or two for the HID bulbs to light.

Others can provide more info on the color/temp/brightness stuff, or details of shopping and installation concerns.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
For using a high & low I'd recommend getting a bi-xenon unit as it will use an actuated-shutter system for controlling high & low, vs using a seperate high and low beam.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Your headlight reflector is not designed for an HID bulb which can result in poorer lighting and dazzling of oncoming drivers. Where the light does shine it will appear brighter but that may or may not be where you want the light to be. Also HID light lessens color perception. If you don't ride much at night it may not matter.

The best HID conversion would be with an entire HID headlight assembly. Perhaps some auxillary lights to augment your normal headlights.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
For using a high & low I'd recommend getting a bi-xenon unit as it will use an actuated-shutter system for controlling high & low, vs using a seperate high and low beam.
How would that work with the existing reflector setup, which has 1 dedicated to low beam and the other dedicated to high?

Or am I confused about the stock SV setup? It's been a while since I've had one. ???

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
How would that work with the existing reflector setup, which has 1 dedicated to low beam and the other dedicated to high?

Or am I confused about the stock SV setup? It's been a while since I've had one. ???
It doesnt work with a stock SV light setup.
You have to retrofit a projector unit from any HID equipped vehicle, that of course has bi-xenon projectors.
Some vehicles just have HID low (my audi, for example) but halogen high beam. The HID stays on ALL the time, and doesnt go off with the high beams. For vehicles with bi-xenon, the high beam bulb and low beam bulb are the same with a small shutter acting as the cut-off for the low setting and high setting.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Those articles are very interesting.

I am using an Acerbis Cyclops, and the night performance is just plain not good. I have seen a writeup from a guy who used an H3 conversion kit in his Cyclops and is happy with his results. I found his pics of the beam spread and illumination at night to be pretty impressive.

I really like the looks and size/shape of the Cyclops and I don't want to change to something else. I sure would like some brighter lights, though, so I'm planning to give one of these retrofit kits a shot. The articles show that that might be an overly naive approach - I'll consider it carefully if I go ahead with my plan.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
2 facts about Daniel Stern:

1) He has never fitted a cheap HID kit to an SV and
2) He wants you to buy his expensive retrofits, not a cheap kit

Of Ultrachrome, only the 1st is true.

;) The articles are very good in general but the fact is nobody knows without trying it how well a HID will work in any particular halogen headlight. Some are horrendous, some work pretty well (HID in a VW Golf Rallye headlight is just appalling, for instance, it's more like a mirrorball than a headlight. People make a lot about halogen reflectors not being optimal for HID capsules- and they're entirely correct. But the SV headlight isn't optimised for a Halogen either, that's why it's so poor! Inefficient doesn't mean ineffectual.

Now, i've only put a HID in my UK spec headlight, I have no idea how well it'll work in a US one, but on the UK one it's very, very effective. I have to aim it slightly lower than I would a halogen, which diminishes the range slightly, but it's still more effective at distance than standard (standard washes out so much at range that it really doesn't matter how far the beam reaches, it's ineffectual well before that point) It does have hot and cold spots, but the coldest spots are still better lit than the best halogens on the market can manage (Osram Nightbreakers) so that's not a concern at all. As far as dangerous glare goes, there's none, period. I've followed police traffic cars for miles with this, they don't take kindly to dangerous glare in their mirrors ;D I'm not some daft boy racer, I spent a lot of time testing and observing the kit before I ever took it on the road, and then I put 5000 night miles on it over the last winter without a single issue.

(though to be fair, I did remove the left hand HID capsule and revert to halogen- the adjuster is damaged on my headlight and I couldn't get it adjusted far enough to the left. It's OK with the halogen but the HID kicked off further to the right, which was a problem. It appears this is just because of my damaged headlight- and one HID is more effective than 2 halogens.)

My personal advice is just approach with caution, treat every post pro and con on this subject with total skepticisim, too many people have an agenda or want to push their own method, or are too pleased with themselves to really rate their results objectively... But don't just write it off.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Oh yeah, there's a central european carbed model SV650S which has a projector halogen in one headlight- ideal for a HID install. But it dips the wrong way for me, we drive on the left.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Of Ultrachrome, only the 1st is true.
Not sure what that statement implies but I've never tried them although until I found Daniel Sterns site, I did want them for my Outback.

I learned of Daniel Stern through subaruoutback.org where he enjoys a good reputation. His bulb recommendations have been spot on although I've never purchased anything from him. One member, jazzymt I believe, went ahead and tried an HID conversion for his projector beams and was not happy with the results.

I'll agree that it's possible they'll work okay but that's an expensive gamble. But if you can return them for a refund, go for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.