Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to send the ECU for the 2017 SV650 to Superbikes Unlimited for a flash. They have lots of options and I'm looking for answers from experienced folks. They sent questions that I think I know the answers to but can be swayed. Used for commuting, backroads, and 4 hour trips, don't anticipate any track days. Reason for the ECU flash was the addition of TERMIGNONI slip-on, runs fine with that but next is adding a Black Widow De-Cat pipe (header). Thought it would be lean without a fuel controller or ECU flash. They will bump the timing a bit and change fuel map to compensate for the exhaust changes. They also offer free re-flashes or return to stock. I have a Bazzaz on another bike and Dobeck on another. Dale Walker offers a Dobeck set-up for the SV, not many available maps for the Bazzaz, more for the Power Commander, the flash is less expensive than a fuel controller and plug and play vs the wiring for the fuel controllers. After playing with the controllers it's fairly easy (for me) to screw up the tune, thought I had one bike running pretty well, changed the pipe and it wouldn't even start, loaded a new map and runs like a champ. Knowing my tuning abilities I'm better off letting what someone else did. On carbureted bikes I use needle position and jets that others have used. Tried Kehin flat slides on a bike once and was hopelessly lost for weeks, finally got it with help from Sudco.

Would you like to:

Adjust rev limiter? - don't see a need on a street bike
Disable the OEM O2 sensor? don't see any benefit, don't think the bike will ever see a dyno
Disable ISC? don't see a need to disable the idle speed control
Disable radiator fan? hard no
Disable STP? from my understanding there is minimal gain, less power down low with more of a rush as RPM's increase, will be ridden in mid-RPM 99% of the time so no need
Disable PAIR? yes - should help eliminate any popping on deceleration
Disable EVAP? No don't see any advantage
Enable ECU-based quickshifter? No
Disable wheel speed sensor? no

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disable the OEM O2 sensor? don't see any benefit, don't think the bike will ever see a dyno
Wouldnt this be necessary if you're installing a decat pipe?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldnt this be necessary if you're installing a decat pipe?
No, decat pipe has the bung for the stock O2 sensor. If using an auto-tune for Bazzaz I would have it disabled because the Bazzaz Auto Tune uses a different O2 sensor. The benefit for adding a Bazzaz with a ECU flash seems to be minimal for the street.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi. Just for reference, I went the PC5/dyno route about 2 years ago. It did help smooth thing out, but if I had to do it over again I would do a flash as you are. For me, it was all about smoothing out low RPM snatch. If that's the case with you, I would make sure your flash guy knows that implicitly. Spell it out for them so there is no confusion.

Regardless, give us a post mort when you get it situated. We'd be curious.

Cheers!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did the same thing on Thursday and sent it out yesterday. Looking forward to getting it back and seeing how things improve.

·
Registered
2016 SV650
3 Posts
I got a dyno tune after fitting K&N and Black Widow decat headers with fart can muffler. Noticeable increase in the midrange, chews gas, sounds ridiculous. Tuner used Woolich. Required unplugging the 02 to hold the tune

·
Registered
1 Posts
Real happy with Super Bike Unlimited ECU remap om my 2020 SV560 with M4 full system, K&N filter and 1 1/2" hole airbox mod (left snorkel in). Noticed broader power and great sound. Keeping it below 7500 rpm until I reach 1000 miles on odometer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weather and vacation has limited riding time but have been pleased with the results.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sent mine in to Superbike for a flash. Due to work and family I have only gotten in 1 ride but it was about 130 miles so gave me a good feeling of how it changed.

Throttle feels a little snappier. Not gonna get my front wheel up but a noticeably smoother and faster response. I'm chasing buddies on 600s and 750s and I felt like I had to turn my wrist less to keep up (Obviously when they gunned it I can't stay with. The flash won't make your bike a 600). Also a fan of the lessened amount or engine braking allowing me to coast better without the need for my clutch.

My bike:
2019 SV650X
Full M4 race exhaust
K&N air filter (no airbox mods, snorkel is even in still)
STV plates removed
R6 throttle tube
DynoJet PCV (2 map setup. Run a custom map that I have "tuned" with the auto tune. Its good on fuel and great for commuting. Second map is a zero map to force the use of the ecu map done by SuperBike)
DynoJet Autotune (I'm in the military and want to make sure I can adjust my map to wherever I move. Elevations between bases can be several thousand feet)

What I did:
Adjust rev limiter? Ya
Disable the OEM O2 sensor? Have the high-band o2 sensor from the autotune so I don't need the oem.
Disable ISC? Disabled incase to want to remove it and set a manual idle speed some day.
Disable radiator fan? No nope nah.
Disable STP? Plan to remove.
Disable PAIR? yes, however, make sure you bike has PAIR too. I went to pull it and slap on plates and found out my bike does not have PAIR, at least from what I see and what my manual tells me. Make sure you check before you buy block off plates.... (smartmoto makes them for gen3)
Disable EVAP? I did due to all the extra crap I have stuffed in the tail. Will remove the can and hoses.
Enable ECU-based quickshifter? Yes because.... quickshifter?
Disable wheel speed sensor? Did not disable.

Disabling something doesn't mean it's switched off, at least not in all cases, instead it turns off the FI light for that sensor so that if/when removed the FI won't populate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a full race M-4 exhaust on my SV, called 2WDW, sent off ECU, got ECU back runs like a champ. I also did my MT07 with same results.

·
Registered
2016 SV650
3 Posts
Real happy with Super Bike Unlimited ECU remap om my 2020 SV560 with M4 full system, K&N filter and 1 1/2" hole airbox mod (left snorkel in). Noticed broader power and great sound. Keeping it below 7500 rpm until I reach 1000 miles on odometer.
What's the airbox mod? I'm wondering if my lower top end is an intake restriction

1 - 12 of 12 Posts