Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol... since we like to pick on ebay auctions here... just seen this one and got a little chuckle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZU...tegoryZ35586QQitemZ4585011802QQrdZ1QQtcZphoto

notice they use the nice side of the tank for gallery pic and then in description it says "some damage" :D

that looks more like "a lot of damage" to me ::)

any takers? might be good to use to create a tank mold maybe... but don't know how you would flip the good half to make the other side :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sv650nate said:
You would probably either fill in the dents or at least push them out partially and then fill them with bondo if you wanted to make a mold of that tank.
with that kind of damage in those areas of the tank... I guarantee that you will never make the damage side shape look like the other side with just bondo... you will have to pull the dents out and then if you are lucky... you might be able to massage the metal area so its "close" and then add bondo work.

many people don't realize this... I didn't and friend didn't at least when trying to bondo dents in tanks... usually the dents pushes the metal out around the dent and even if you fill in the dent with bondo... the area where metal was pushed out from the dent will still show problems because it becomes near impossible to match all the curves smoothly like it was new. ;)
 
G

·
syntheticton said:
... usually the dents pushes the metal out around the dent and even if you fill in the dent with bondo... the area where metal was pushed out from the dent will still show problems because it becomes near impossible to match all the curves smoothly like it was new.  ;)
The metal defoms and becomes 'stretched' if you will You have to shrink the metal down with a torch. I've reshaped chromed fenders this way and it's a long, slow, tedious pita.
I got the privilege of seeing some true masters at work doing this on old cars in a shop in CA. They used no plastic filler whatsoever. They massaged the metal, drilled tiny holes in it in places and shrink the metal into the holes (it needed a place to go). They would sometimes tack in a little material as filler and grind it off. It was the most amazing process and I've never seen anything like it since - my description doesn't do it justice. The shop owner was a true artist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
syntheticton said:
any takers? might be good to use to create a tank mold maybe... but don't know how you would flip the good half to make the other side :D
IF the SV was a good bike for stunting, and IF I was a stunna, I'd be all over that. Especially since there's no reserve on the auction.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toddpnewton said:
The metal defoms and becomes 'stretched' if you will You have to shrink the metal down with a torch. I've reshaped chromed fenders this way and it's a long,  slow, tedious pita.
I got the privilege of seeing some true masters at work doing this on old cars in a shop in CA. They used no plastic filler whatsoever. They massaged the metal, drilled tiny holes in it in places and shrink the metal into the holes (it needed a place to go). They would sometimes tack in a little material as filler and grind it off. It was the most amazing process and I've never seen anything like it since - my description doesn't do it justice. The shop owner was a true artist.
those kinda metal workers are hard to find... I bet their work doesn't come cheap either. wish I had those kinda of talents and tools ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Definately an understatement, but they do sell a lot of bike parts, and they use the same description for at least one other item, so it's more laziness than anything else. The typing in all caps really pisses me off. I'll often not look at an item if the seller insists on typing in all caps. It's simply too difficult to read.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top