Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Its just another cheap, mass produced, ebay product... but it works.

My friend has it in orange. But it was faded to yellow in <3 months.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK cool. I don't care about it being cheap; I was just curious about the smaller size and whether it is a legitimate design or just a squid fad.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried asking people what the pros/cons are of shallow reservoirs, but nobody seemed to have an opinion. Oh well, I bleed my brakes at least every year anyway.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think he just means that the original bleed will take some (more) time due to it constantly having to be refilled...

I doubt it will have to be bleed more often.

Looks good though. I'm probably going to pick one up this winter and have the top painted.

·
Banned
686 Posts
What I mean is, being that shallow, there will be many times when you will actuate the brake lever, and there will be no fluid over the fluid line leading from the reservoir to the master cylinder. A stock reservoir is tall for a reason, because it allows more volume of fluid thereby reducing the risk of drawing air into the system.

But I guess if you're only bleeding your lines once a year, you're probably not all that concerned with motorbike maintenance in general, so I'm really just wasting my time here. ;D

·
Registered
747 Posts
What I mean is, being that shallow, there will be many times when you will actuate the brake lever, and there will be no fluid over the fluid line leading from the reservoir to the master cylinder. A stock reservoir is tall for a reason, because it allows more volume of fluid thereby reducing the risk of drawing air into the system.

But I guess if you're only bleeding your lines once a year, you're probably not all that concerned with motorbike maintenance in general, so I'm really just wasting my time here. ;D
:facepalm:

If you're using that much fluid, it means you have a leak...

·
Registered
151 Posts

I just realized I might be the only one but I may be wrong. My OEM reservoir came with a removable diaphragm: wouldn't that negate the problem, no matter the height, because it creates a barrier between the fluid and any air from not topping off (well almost, you can let air in till it reaches the 'full' mark'). The reservoir appears full until a large majority of the brake fluid has been drawn..... or am I the only one that has one? :naughty:

Simple idea/fix if this actually ever becomes a problem.

(the removable white 'spacer' has an extruded inner ring that helps seal the diaphragm against the reservoir; it's in the cap on the triple)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
That shallow res is a bad idea. Just like some mentioned earlier, we you are leaned in a corner and add inertia and your fluid will not cover the opening inside and if you happen to be actuating the lever you could introduce air into your system and lose some braking, that could just be enough not to slow you down or stop you when you got on the brakes when you really needed them. I'd go back to a OEM size if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
That shallow res is a bad idea. Just like some mentioned earlier, we you are leaned in a corner and add inertia and your fluid will not cover the opening inside and if you happen to be actuating the lever you could introduce air into your system and lose some braking, that could just be enough not to slow you down or stop you when you got on the brakes when you really needed them. I'd go back to a OEM size if I were you.

I'd like to see you corner an SV to the point where he would "suck" air into the brakelines! There is a diaphragm in there to separate fluid from air. That diaphragm won't allow air past it no matter how leaned. you can lay the dang bike on it's side and it won't suck air! as far as the shallowness is concerned has anybody looked at what GP bikes run for reservoirs? They run a chunk of Tygon tubing. Look OP don't worry bout your resevoir, just keep an eye on the fluid level but you'll be fine! In order to use up all your fluid you would have to burn up your pads and part of the metal backing to use all the fluid. With an SV the brakes don't get used as hard as a SS due to engine braking.

·
Registered
546 Posts

:lmao:
That's the dumbest thing Ive ever heard... Take a physics class (or use your critical thinking skills) and come back to us. Even if you did a flip, the inertia could keep the fluid covering the hole. Even if you were leaning into a corner at Mach III the fluid is pushed DOWN into the opening.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's not the not cornering forces it's the fluid moving to one side in the res bottle without a diaphragm. It's the lever action that would pull the air into the line. Why attack people, just trying to help out? By the way both of you guys could go **** off!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts