Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earplugs for motorcycle riding

Do you guys wear earplugs?

I really need a pair because I was recently diagnosed with mild tinnitus and mild hyperacusis(noise sensitivity). Was not a fan of earplugs because I have narrow ear canals that makes wearing a pair painful and uncomfortable. Any recommendation or suggestion? Should I buy custom molded ones?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Earplugs for motorcycle riding

I used earplugs during my 20+ years of sport shooting activity (handgun practical shooting), where in training sessions I shot at least 350/400 rounds at time.
I too have very narrow ear canals.
Although I don't plug for riding, I understand your need (btw, I too suffer from tinnitus): the best advice I can offer (in your case) is go for a pair of custom moulded soft ear plugs.
Generic foam ones are a good and cheap solution for those who have normal size ear canals, but for us they start to feel uncomfortable after less than an hour, while custom moulded hard (resin) plugs fit perfectly and have the best noise reducing ratio, but you can't wear them for long.

Btw, when shooting I found out that the best "plugs" in terms of noise reduction and comfort to wear were an innovative (15 years ago) product called ZEM Sensgard.

·
Registered
118 Posts

I can wear the foam plugs from Howard Leight or Permatex for a few hours, but they get uncomfortable after a while. I can wear Mack's Ultra Soft foam plugs all night without discomfort. Hearos Ultimate Softness are also fairly comfortable in my sensitive ears.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts

Yes, I wear earplugs. Religiously. Tinnitus and hearing loss from stupidity when I was younger and damage from years in the Marines.

The most comfortable I've ever used? The formed green plugs from WalMart. I've purchased custom made silicone plugs from various companies but none have been as comfortable as the WalMart plugs.

·
Registered
140 Posts

I use These and they have been comfortable for hours at a time. They have a noise filter in them to attenuate certain frequencies, meaning they really help with wind noise, but I can still hear the speakers from my Sena and talk to people. I bought them after I kept getting a ringing after long freeway runs. It always went away after a few hours, but I know it's cumulative so better to deal with the issue now while it's not permanent.
The added benefit is that muting out the drone of wind helps with mental fatigue and allows me to concentrate more on what I'm doing without being distracted. Two years later and I still have the same set and love them. They disassemble and wash up easily so they should last a long time, or until I lose them.

·
site supporter
6,092 Posts

After years of riding with foam ear plugs (which were OK) I found Mack's Ear Seals.
Thay're cheap and you can get them at just about every chain drug store and most large supermarkets. The two plugs are joined by a yellow nylon braided thread, which sometimes helps avoid losing them. They attenuate sound well and give a more positive seal than the soft foam plugs, and are just as easy to put in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys.

Just want to know if you have any hearing protection for someone with weird angled, narrow ear canals.

Most of what I use over the years doesn't work that well and sometimes even caused pain in the ears.

I'm planning to purchase custom-fitted ones but I want to hear from you first.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I got custom fitted ones. They're awesome. Those foam universal ones never stay put when I put my helmet on.

I also use my earplugs at concerts, monster jam, the drag strip, the shooting range, and the air show.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got custom fitted ones. They're awesome. Those foam universal ones never stay put when I put my helmet on.

I also use my earplugs at concerts, monster jam, the drag strip, the shooting range, and the air show.
Where did you purchased yours? I'm planning to get one from these guys called
. They have a service provider near me and I really liked this product of them. They have to get my ear impressions first and wait for at least 3 weeks based on their website but I'm willing to wait.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
That's just because you never found the right pair, or you didn't put them in right. They should never stick out far enough for a helmet to snag them. Unless you mean you wore those christmas free style silicone ones, in which case, yeah, can't help you there.

To OP: try the skin tone Hearos. They're very soft and should compress to fit you.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts

I always recommend Hearos. Go to CVS and get a small pack, see how they fit. The blue ones are larger than skin tone.

I've had them in for a full day and like 650 mile rides and had no issues with discomfort.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
That's just because you never found the right pair, or you didn't put them in right. They should never stick out far enough for a helmet to snag them. Unless you mean you wore those christmas free style silicone ones, in which case, yeah, can't help you there.

To OP: try the skin tone Hearos. They're very soft and should compress to fit you.
Agreed...can't tell you how many times I've seen people wearing the expanding foam plugs with 9/10ths of the plug just resting on their ear lobes.

They are supposed to go INTO your ear canal, and just leave a tiny bit sticking out so you can remove them later. The 3M ones (yellow with pink stripes) that kind of look like wire nuts are made with a memory foam like material and don't really put pressure on your ear walls like some of the barrel-shaped expanding foam ones can.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

I always wear ear plugs, always!

I buy the foamies at Walmart, change them out every so often.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I have sensitive ear canals as well, and have had custom plugs made - which were worse.

I've found the soft disposable ear plugs like these - (https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Visibility-Disposable/dp/B0007XJOLG) , sometimes sold in small quantities under the Stanley brand at home improvement stores, to be the best for me.

I recently wore them 12 hours straight on a cycle trip without any discomfort.

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
One time I used those molded silicone things that you put around the ear and try to jam inside the ear canal.

They are form fitting. Trouble is, you might start sweating, or for whatever other reason, the silicone will start making contact with the skin, then detaching. That in itself will create noise. Plus it will let in noise. That's what I imagine custom plugs might feel like so never had a drive to try them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts