Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not looking for a bunch of my helmet is bigger than your helmet :p Not really looking for info specifics on helmet noise per model.

Do you wear them?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your helmet probably is bigger than my helmet, I'm a pinhead. Keeps people from trying to borrow it.
Yes, I wear earplugs for anything more than twenty or thirty miles an hour around town. I find I ride smoother and faster with earplugs, and for any trip on the freeway I find them a must.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I wear them on long trips....they're great for avoiding the perpetual droning and wind roar, and increase endurance.

.....I mean....you can ride further.

However, around town I don't wear them...they feel too isolating to me....I like the visceral sounds/feel.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I just bought a box full from an industrial supply house.

For 20 bucks, I got over 200 pair.  I know these are good as I used them over 12 years working in a paper mill.  I tried many kinds but always go back to these.  They have a respectable 29 db noise reduction rating.

They are yellow foam and you roll them between your fingers and insert them deeply in the ear.
to remove them, you tug gently on your ear lobe and they come out after 3-4 tugs where you can grab them with your finger tips.

The brand is EAR and they are meant to be disposible after a couple of uses.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just to hear the other side...
No, I've never worn them. It never seemed all that loud to me, even at highway speeds.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I just let my earwax build up real big.

Actually, a month ago my roommate and I were hanging out, talking, and something fell out of his ear. He didn't notice until I told him and he leans down and picks up a pea-sized ball off the floor and says casually "oh, it's my earwax." :eek: As you guessed, I told him he's disgusting for letting it build up that bad. Then he ate it!!! okay, that part isn't true

Josh

·
Registered
836 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
I just let my earwax build up real big.

Actually, a month ago my roommate and I were hanging out, talking, and something fell out of his ear. He didn't notice until I told him and he leans down and picks up a pea-sized ball off the floor and says casually "oh, it's my earwax." :eek: As you guessed, I told him he's disgusting for letting it build up that bad.  Then he ate it!!! okay, that part isn't true

Josh

Wow...that's happened to me twice when I was younger. When it came out it was black on the end, then reddish orange, then light crusty orange.

It tasted kinda bland.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same mentality until I tried on a pair. What a difference! Now if I'm riding for more than 30 mins, I definitely put them on.

BTW... I hear you can do some long term damage to your ears without them.

overtorqued said:
Just to hear the other side...
No, I've never worn them. It never seemed all that loud to me, even at highway speeds.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i just wear my headphones w/mp3 player...haven't tried earplugs yet....but i should sometime in the future

·
Registered
419 Posts
As you age I think you tend to value your hearing more. If you're really smart you figure that out young. I need to protect what I've got left so I wear foam earplugs whenever I ride. I hear it's not legal everywhere, so you may want to check on that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about traffic noise.. total block out with helmet?

i use them for highway, but I am finding that even intown is starting to bother me. As a street biker (bicycle) for so many years, I really value hearing everything around me.

Just got a Shoei RF-1000 - I am hoping it is not just hype over my HJC AC-11 - my goal is I don't really want to use them intown.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wear it ALL the time. Even if the ride is going to be about 5 minutes long. I love my hearing too much to not use them.

Even in city, I find that it does not affect my hearing adversely.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i never wear earplugs even on long rides.  i guess i really just like all the engine noise and the wind and everything else around me.  i think it is kind of part of the whole motorcycle experience.  then again i play drums and have been in a band for years so my hearing is GONE, so maybe i just dont notice that riding is actually deafening  :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wearing plugs the engine and exhaust note actually sound better to me... especially on a twin. You get the nice bassy tones and less of the harsh crackly stuff. (as well as killing many frequences that bring on fatigue and damage to your ears) I feel so much more in tune with the bike with plugs in. Used to play full stacks of guitar amps up to "11" ;D and still play drums. I can't deal with the loud factor much anymore... my ears have become more and more sensitive over the past decade.

I'd recommend anyone to just try it for one day of riding. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Yes. You still can hear traffic noise, certainly better than you would in a car with the windows up.

:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
i use earplugs all the time where i work, on the flightline. i also like the EAR brand, they're yellow like mentioned earlier. i think they're the best ive used so far cause they roll up and go in the ear easily.

never used em on my bike yet, havent taken a long enough trip to consider them. ill use em when i go back to cali sometime this year.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Maritan said:
I wear it ALL the time. Even if the ride is going to be about 5 minutes long. I love my hearing too much to not use them.
A five minute ride is not going to affect your hearing adversely....it's the prolonged exposure which does it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
S0! said:
BTW... I hear you can do some long term damage to your ears without them.
Most likely can....
nc_sv650 said:
Yes. You still can hear traffic noise, certainly better than you would in a car with the windows up.
:)
I can hear better with them on then I can in the car and the radio is on, or the window is down. I think having the earplugs in and not all the wind and engine sound makes me more alert to everything around me.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts