Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always entertained the idea of making my own rear seat cowl or mini fairing.Would fiberglass raisin and cloth work?or is there a better way.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I could go on for hours about this ;)

For your first one try this...

Make the piece out of cardboard and masking tape.
Get some fiberglass cloth and poly resin... also get small paint brushes (tin handle or acid brushes are cheap and work great too) and paper cups (I rinse out my coffee cups from work and save them). Maybe keep some little body putty squeegies too.
Using 3M super 77 spray adhesive spray your cardboard piece and lay a layer of glass (glass = fiberglass) over it. The 77 adhesive is inert to the glass and won't effect your piece. Brush on the resin and add another layer of glass. 3 layers is good for final strength. Squeegie out the extra resin and allow overnight to dry. After it's dry, sand, fill and finish...

Making your own body work is a *ton* of work.

D

·
0 Posts
donniej said:
Making your own body work is a *ton* of work.
+1 I did the interior in the car I used to have, hope you have LOTS of patience and buy stock in sand paper, don't forget the rubber gloves either

go to www.the12volt.com and go under forums and click on fiberglassing, there is a wealth of knowledge there I basically learned how to do it properly from that site.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silly me yes DIY ;D
Thank you both for info and the link.I am generally curious by nature and like learning new skills.I will give it a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts