Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know there's a million tire threads on here, but I haven't seen any references as to how long these tires are lasting. I'm due for a new rear tire and was wondering if anybody had their Roadsmarts on long enough to give me an idea of what kind of mileage to expect out of them?
Right now I've gotten 8000 miles out of my Strada and have been very impressed with their performance, so am between another of those, a Road Attack or a Roadsmart.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I haven't tried roadsmarts, but I think I'm going to. I have conti road attacks and they are done at 9k. I have also been impressed with their performance, but the last 1k or so they have gotten squirmy on tar strips and painted lines. They have been heat cycled a few times though from the drag strip. Hope the roadsmart dual compounds will last a little longer with comparable or better grip.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'm really liking my Roadsmarts. I have nearly 4500 on them and they're not half worn yet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I was really hesitant to start another tire thread, I know how that is frowned upon, but had yet to see any posts where anybody had said how long their Roadsmarts lasted. Believe me I spent hours on here reading about tires before posting this thread. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
i will have about 8k out of mine when i pull them, and i have also heard of 10-11k from some others. Overall i think they are a pretty good tire, i'm debating these or stradas for the next set.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up going with the Diablo Strada again. I was at 8K miles, and had incredible stick, so I sure can't complain. It was hard making a decision though. LOL

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dang, only 8k. I was hoping for at least 10k. We'll see I guess, as I ordered the Roadsmarts :). Gotta try somethin new.
I have 10K on mine so far with quite a bit of tread left. I'm 155 lbs, commute and ride pretty hard on back roads. Found the harder center tread to be exactly as advertised. Grip is very good for the mileage I'm getting. Love these tires.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Would you guys put a Roadsmart up front with a Pilot Power in the rear? I have an almost new PP rear, but an almost dead PP front.

I know the general rule of thumb is to have the stickier tire up front, but I don't want to buy another PP front, since I plan on switching to Roadsmarts when the rear is shagged.

So, my goal would be this: Replace front with Roadsmart now, finish PP rear (prolly another 5k), add Roadsmart rear. I figure the RS front will last thru a couple rears.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as you got used to it before you got too aggressive I would think you'd be ok. I've dragged pegs with an Avon Storm up front, no reason a Roadsmart wouldn't work that I can think of, unless maybe they're profile was completely different?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have road smarts front and rear. The fronts grip very well and unless the profile of the tires are different, I'd say the move would be fine.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I don't have any experience of them yet but unless something even more kickass comes along, they'll be my next tyre. I've gone off the Stradas that were my last favourites after seeing a couple of fronts (including my own) develop really uneven cornering wear- they're still decent tyres but I just had to bin a tyre with a good few thousand miles of tread left, because they wore so out-of-round. Not squared, but wavy. Shame.

·
Banned
296 Posts
I have had both Roadsmarts and Stradas. I have about 300 miles on my 2nd set of Roadsmarts and intend on getting 7-8K miles of HARD mountain riding again. The stradas performed as well but got slightly less miles with the same riding intensity - I think 6,500 miles.

Strangely on this set I can see the duel compounding in the tires - the last set wasn't visible! Think this is a problem? Buddies say it's cool looking, LOL. I'm worried about separation.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
As long as you got used to it before you got too aggressive I would think you'd be ok. I've dragged pegs with an Avon Storm up front, no reason a Roadsmart wouldn't work that I can think of, unless maybe they're profile was completely different?
I think you're probably right. It just makes sense to replace the front wit a RS right now. That is until I see what the annual Cycle Gear tire sale brings us.

What was it last year? The guy at my local CG said it would likely be the same tire.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Would you guys put a Roadsmart up front with a Pilot Power in the rear? I have an almost new PP rear, but an almost dead PP front.

I know the general rule of thumb is to have the stickier tire up front, but I don't want to buy another PP front, since I plan on switching to Roadsmarts when the rear is shagged.

So, my goal would be this: Replace front with Roadsmart now, finish PP rear (prolly another 5k), add Roadsmart rear. I figure the RS front will last thru a couple rears.

I'm kind of wondering a little about this, as my roadsmart front actually wore at the same rate as the rear. I don't know if any RS havers have had similar experiances or not.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
i was pretty surprised as well, it could be an anomaly, but figured it was worth mentioning. I'm interested to know if others had similar experiences

1 - 20 of 36 Posts