Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up this months issue of sport rider magazine. they tested 27 street tires. i originally bought the magazine to see the difference between the pirelli diablo's and the pilot powers. but got a seriously rude awakening when the new Dunlop Qualifier got a higer rating than both. the Dunlop got a 91.4 overall rating, the pilot power got a 89.3 and the diablo got a 86.0. the three criteria tested were braking, traction and steering. the only area the pilot got scored higher was in braking. the two bikes used for testing were a gsx-r 1000 and a cbr 600RR. the dunlop recieved .6 points higher than the pilot power for traction on the cbr, and .6 point higher in steering than the pilot power.

maybe dunlop has finally come out with a good street tire.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I received my copy but haven't read that article yet. Sportrider (same publisher) did a review on them an issue ago too. They ranked the Dunlop slightly higher than the pilot powers too. The downsides of the Dunlops (compared to the Michelins) were slower warmup time and faster wear.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they didn't say any thing about slow warm up. but they did state "Qualifiers showed significant wear after the test loop, with the tread grooves' edges quite rounded and the rubber itself quite rippled."

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rereading the article i still think the pilot powers are still gonna be your best bet for the street. they said that "wear was minimal compared to the other tires..." the only thing they didn't like was that the front tire was tall and the rear tires were shorter causing the initial turn in to be a little slow. but they said dropping the forks by a few mm's fixed the problem.

·
Registered
571 Posts
the thing i hated about that article was that they lure you in with "we test 27 different tires" but in reality they only tell you any real info about the sportiest tire from each maker. but i guess i shouldn't expect anything less from a magazine that is called sport rider. apparently they think everyone goes around turns at max lean and don't care about tires they might actually get some miles out of. :mad:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
schultzboy said:
the thing i hated about that article was that they lure you in with "we test 27 different tires" but in reality they only tell you any real info about the sportiest
yah that kinda ticked me off a bit too.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Magazines are in the business of selling what their advertisers are hocking. These reviews are all the same--whatever is the latest thing is the "best" thing. Period.
Well sorry... No way am I going to use those Dunlops... they'd last maybe 3k and they'd be done. The 208s were the same way. I'll stick with the Pilot Powers thanks. Well over 4k and still going strong here. :)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i got 10 k out of my front stock dunlop and about 6 k outta my stock rear. but by the time they had to get replaced they were all kinds of messed up. so far i've gotten decent wear out of my diablo with little signs of cupping or any thing. i'm gonna get a brand new set of diablos come spring and replace them when the rear wears out with a brand new set of pilot powers and see what i like better. and mayve be if i feel like it i'll test a set of the new dunlops but i have a feeling they are going to have to be replaced at like 3k unlike the pirelli's and michelins. supposedly there wear on both is supposed to be very good.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm going to get the Dunlops when they come out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought the most suprising part of the article were the Michelins.
They scored just a tick under the Dunlops (Dunlop 91.4, Michelin 89.3) yet both riders said that the Michelins had an easy break in period and the testers said there was minimal wear compared to other tires in the test.
I'm not going to be leaning bikes like these riders anyway, so the fact they handle just a hair under the Dunlops doesn't really bother me.
If there's any truth to the article, they scored second best in handling, last a long time, and have a short break in period.
Sounds like a winner to me.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Novadesigns said:
Magazines are in the business of selling what their advertisers are hocking. These reviews are all the same--whatever is the latest thing is the "best" thing. Period.
yeppers!

damn yooz corporate america!! damn yooz all ta hell! :mad: :p

·
Registered
153 Posts
So has anyone tried the Qualifiers out? I just picked up a set and will have them mounted tomorrow. Im switching from pilot powers so I hope the mileage isnt too bad

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
haha, prepare to be disappointed.

edit: i'm not joking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts