Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always surprised to see how many people on the forums have quotes, avatars, or make references to F. Herberts' Dune.

I own it on DVD (the old original, not the remake) and haven't popped it in a DVD player in years.

I guess my questions are...

Why have you seen dune?
When did you see dune?
Have you read the books?
Did you play the games (dune, dune 2000)?
How old are you people?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I've seen it. When I did see it, I was far too young to comprehend it or to enjoy it. i'm 33.

Never read any of the books. About twenty years ago I tried to read one, but couldn't get past all the strange names and odd language.

Wasn't Sting in it?

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I will say on the conservative side that I have seen Dune (short) over 300 times and Dune (Alan Smithy dir) about 30 times. I have both on DVD, I have both on VHS. I have Dune 2000 when it came out but nearly played it much. I've watched the Scifi remakes but didn't like them at all. I've almost read the first Dune book, but I'm not a huge reader.

I never tell my age but I will say that I didn't purchase a DVD player (back in 99-00) until 5 specific movies came out on DVD: Aliens, Excalibur, Bladerunner, Flash Gordon and Dune. And after hearing this track in a Visage (dance club) I spent nearly 6-8 months till I got a copy of it on CD back in 2000. Still love this track today!!
==> Eon - Spice

Also this other classic industrial track, Nothing Stays by Cyberaktif (side project of Bill Leeb, Front Line Assembly) uses a sample from the movie Dune. Use to play both when I was a DJ at WFIT 89.5 FM.
==> Cyberaktif - Nothing Stays (time index 2:28 )

"He who controls the Spice Controls the Universe!!!!!!!!"

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
I read Dune in 8th grade. (1970 or so)
I saw the movie on VHS in the mid-90s because my (now ex-) wife thought the story had some mystical hyper-truth she needed to learn.
I have not played any Dune games.
I am old.

·
Registered
683 Posts
8th grade.

old my friend, would be a conservative estimate.

:D

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Honestly I never cared much for the movies, having read the books first. No I'm not old. I'm not due for my mid-life crisis for a few years yet. I think it's going to be a KTM, not a Corvette or a bimbette though.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I recall seeing parts of Dune as a child but never watched the movie in its entirety.
Then about 2yrs ago I rented it on DVD as it was something I wanted to at least be able to cross off my list of movies. I thought it was a decent story and I liked it.
I never saw the remake or anything like that though, nor didnt read the books.
Im 30.

What do you mean, "you people"??

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I've read a lot of sci-fi novels, but never got around to the Dune series until someone strongly recommended it to me. So I read all the original Dune books and was blown away, they're awesome!

The movie was pretty good, but mainly cause I learned how to pronounce words like "Bene Gesserit". ;D

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I loved the book. The follow ups weren't as good but they continue the story which makes a difference. None of the movies came close to the brilliance of the book though. No games here

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I have read all the original Dune books from Frank Herbert and bought all the prequels written by his son Brian Herbert.

Last week I bought the latest one "Paul of Dune" and the saga continues.

I will be buying the entire set in hard cover and giving it to my oldest grandchild as he is a voracious reader.

It is an incredible saga.

http://www.dunenovels.com/

·
Registered
750 Posts
This makes me want to read the book again and watch the movie. I read only the first book as a kid and have seen the film 5-6 times. Maybe this summer I will get a copy of the sequel to read on the beach. Age-28.

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Love the movie! Saw it at the theatre and remember them handing out little pamplets with all the terms and names, etc......As I got older, I looked for the movie and "I think" it was out of print for quite a while before bringing it back....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts