Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently dumped my 2004 Suzuki SV650s at a low speed resulting in the following damage on the left hand side of the bike...

- broken mirror
- front and rear fairings scratched to hell
- gas tank has a softball size dent in it
- left side foot peg/rest is broken off
- heel plate appears to be bent
- gear shift is broken
- end of the fork is scratched
- clip on handle bar is bent
- bar end is damaged
- the left hand grip and some of the buttons around it are smashed
- left turning signal case was smashed

I am in no way a mechanic, but that appears to be all that's damaged.

I realize that I'll obviously need to get the gear shift, foot rest, heel plate, and handle bar fixed before I can ride it again, but how important is that dent in the side of the tank? It obviously didn't puncture it, or I wouldn't be asking.
I was also wondering whether or not I should try to bend the handle bar and heel plate back properly, or just replace them. As for the fairings and such, that's cosmetic and that can wait.

I'm also now on the prowl for cheap places to replace these items. I know that ebay is probably going to be the best place to look, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Oh, and in case anyone's interested, I was wearing full gear, and despite some pain in my left hand and knee region, I'm ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd say you can try to bend the heel plate back but replace the clip-on. You may be able to bend it back without breaking it but it would be weakened considerably and that is not a piece you would want to lose while on the road. I'm not positive but I think the tank dent is only a cosmetic issue, no real harm in leaving it as a battle wound (tank capacity will be down slightly as well by about 250mL?)

Have you tried to start the bike since the crash? If the switches are mangled on the left side your clutch sensor could be shot, check that the signals and hi beam are still functioning too.

As for parts eBay and this board are your best shots.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions skidlidkid.

I did indeed start the bike and with a friend following in his car close behind, I managed to drive the bike a mile or so back to my house. I haven't checked the lights at all, but the clutch appeared to be working fine. the only button that seemed really smashed was the yellow highbeam "passing" button.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured adding some pics might help put things into perspective...

This is of the end of the fork on the left side

This is the left side tail plastics

This is of the swingarm. When I was taking the pictures I noticed some slight scratching at the end. I've heard bad things about scratched swingarms. Does this look like it might be problematic?

This is of the gearshift/foot peg area.

This is of the front fairing area.

This is of the handlebar/gas tank area.

·
Registered
58 Posts
After you get her fixed back up I would reccomend some Intuitive pro frame sliders, some spools for the swing arm and maybe some bar sliders.

This small imvestment of less than $100 would have saved you from lots of damage, not all but I bet a lot less than you have now.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i have some stock parts from my 05svs that are brand new that i could sell ya...PM me and let me know what you might need. Id be happy to help

·
Registered
17 Posts
man, what happened??? i low sided mine at 70 and it wasnt NEARLY that bad. it didnt even touch my tank or my tail section. no frame sliders or anything of that nature were on the bike.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, in response to the question "what were you doing?", I was coming down a street that curves very hard to the right and ends in a stop light before opening into another street. The light turned red, the 2 cars in front of me (which were rushing to beat the light but decided they couldn't) stopped, and I realized I was going too fast. The silly thing about it is that by "too fast" I mean 30mph tops, maybe less. That light is a long one and that street gets a lot of traffic, which results in a lot of cars spilling fluids and all sorts of other debris. I think that when I slowed down I just grabbed too much break and hit a slick spot and that was it.

As much as it may sound like it, I'm really not trying to blame the people in front of me on going down. I should've been going slower and I should've kept a greater distance between me and them. It just boils down to a matter of me not making the right choices. At least I made the right choice to wear my gear.

·
Registered
434 Posts
the tank is nothing to worry bout as long as the cosmetics don't bother you. used to run a trak bike with a tank dent no problem.

+1 frame sliders are saviors

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, for the "light" drop you had, you got screwed on bike damage. I have seen much less damage from much worse accidents. At least you are OK. I would worry about replacing the clip ons, the switches, the shifter, and then I would check the FORK. The easiest way is to loosen the lower triple a little bit, and spin the fork. If it gets tigt and then loose while spinning it, it is bent, and needs reaplaced. Of course to do this, you need a front end stand, see if someone near you has one.

Also, for reference to people, why not post some pics of the gears damage, and any that happened to you.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice on the forks. I might know someone who knows someone who has one.

When I get some time I'll be sure to take pics of my gear and injuries (minor scratch/bruising on left knee).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts