Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm a noob and I made a mistake. Sprayed some of that tire shine stuff on my m/c tire and service people at the shop gave me a stern warning. In fact, they told me to get a new set of tires cuz you can't take this stuff off, really? Should I just scrub it real hard or do I really need new set of tires? Anyone else did something like this? Would make me feel a bit better :oops:

·
Registered
369 Posts
New tires my ass!! ride the bike for a few miles slowly increasing your lean angle. Then take it out on the highway and heat the tires up really good (like 110 mph). That crap will come off in less then 10 miles man.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I'm not sure what to tell you... are you any good at ice skating? Is your insurance paid up? :lol:

I found out the hard way why you shouldn't use Armor-All on motorcycle seats and grips... went up a big hill on my dirt bike and slid right off the back :wink: Take it easy and see what happens, please report back... if we don't see you around anymore I'll just assume what happened :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since you're a noob I do not recommend heading out on the highway to do a 110mph...maybe a 110 mile ride to scrub them in, and you'll prolly be okay..

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
gonzo221 said:
New tires my ass!! ride the bike for a few miles slowly increasing your lean angle. Then take it out on the highway and heat the tires up really good (like 110 mph). That crap will come off in less then 10 miles man.
Definitely not sound advice.

This is what you have to do...

1) Do NOT ride the bike for now.
2) Go out and get yourself a gallon of isopropyl alcohol and lots of paper towels
3) Mix the alcohol 50/50 with water
4) Soak the tires in this mixture for at least an hour,
5) Scrub like mad with the paper towels.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
DO NOT RIDE THEM

Go to the local auto parts place and get two cans of BraKleen (or similar safety solvent brake cleaning) spray. Put the bike where it won't matter what drips (driveway? It won't make a big mess, it will all evaporate). Spray the tires thouroughly with BraKleen, letting the runoff drip off. Don't wipe it up. Start at the top and work towards the bottom. You only have to clean the tread area. When you finish one section let it dry (takes seconds) and roll the bike and get the next section.

The BraKleen will get the slime off. NOW take it out and ride to warm the tires up. Approach cornering carefully until you are sure the grip is all there.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: DO NOT RIDE THEM

andyauger said:
Go to the local auto parts place and get two cans of BraKleen (or similar safety solvent brake cleaning) spray. Put the bike where it won't matter what drips (driveway? It won't make a big mess, it will all evaporate). Spray the tires thouroughly with BraKleen, letting the runoff drip off. Don't wipe it up. Start at the top and work towards the bottom. You only have to clean the tread area. When you finish one section let it dry (takes seconds) and roll the bike and get the next section.

The BraKleen will get the slime off. NOW take it out and ride to warm the tires up. Approach cornering carefully until you are sure the grip is all there.

That's a good idea, and my suggestions works. That's what my friend did when he armor all'ed his tires. Just rode the bike like he had just put new tires on and scrubbed them in that way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks people, for your suggestions. I've actually ridden the bike for a while, bout 2 weeks since putting the stuff on and I'm still alive. I'll try some solvents to get the rest of that stuff off. Really appreciate the advice!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
my friend did something similar and went to a car wash and sprayed everything with the spray wax. he was slippen everywhere

T

·
0 Posts
Greased Lighting Soak and Scrub! (a really good solvent, i suggest u look into it)

O

·
0 Posts
110 going straight to get rid of it? Are you kidding?

I am glad you have survived for two weeks like that, but, the only place it has come off of more than likely is where you have leaned it to. In other words, whenever you lean the bike over farther than ever beofre, there will be more armor all there waiting to slip you up. I am not so sure about being able to wash it off, as these guys suggested, but its better than nothing. Also, if you are going to use a solvent type (like Isopropyl alcohol) make sure that you don't get any anywhere but your tires, it can loosen paint. And for the heavy duty cleaners, I would suggest scrubbing them with a hard bristled brush, and then washing them with a hose for what seems like forever. Leftover soap on the tire could be more slippery than the armor all.

Lesson learned, don't armor all your tires. Your lesson could have been a hell of a lot worse. Consider yourself lucky.

Keith

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
That's the problem

Riding it off only gets rid of it where you ride on the tread. Solvent off with BraKleen does the job perfectly, plus it's cheap and requires no post-cleanup cleanup. Brakleen is also absolutely safe for tire rubber, proven for decades to be so.

Experiment if you like, but I like to stick with proven solutions, especially if they're cheap and easy. Cheap, fast, good. You don't get that combination often.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up using a degreaser solvent, a non oil based one. It seemed to have an effect. After doing that, I took a bristle brush with soap and water and scrubbed real hard, the parts of the wheel that had it on. Sprayed it all off good. After it dried, the glisten from the tire shine is gone, that's a good sign. I think most of it is off, I will definitely still be careful when cornering. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
369 Posts
He only took the bike to the highway after he scrubbed a good amount of it off normally. Then he took it past 100 to cook the rest off and get the rubber soft again. It worked for him just fine.

O

·
0 Posts
I don't want to get into an arguement, but highway riding, reagardless of speed only really heats up the middle tread you are using, it will not "cook" the whole tire. ONly through leaning the bike over will you get the kind of heat in a tire that will get rid of any residual crapola left on there. And that goes double if he is using the stock tires, which take a ridiculous amount of stress to get to a hot temperature.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i did that ONCE...and will NEVER do it again!!! :p

It didnt take to long for the crap to come off..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Armor-all is crap in all forms...it's just cheap glossy/greasy junk and won't protect shit, in fact, it will do the opposite, and dry out what you apply it too...

Use a rub on like mothers for the tire black, and use something like mcguire's vinyl conditioner on the vinyl.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts