Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: Dumb Maintenance Question...

Cycle shops are about it in my experience! Online would be the only other way I can think of!

·
Registered
722 Posts

Our Wal-Mart just started carrying some bike stuff. Sadly they don't carry my oil, and they don't carry Maxima. But they had some chain lube and helmets, Mobil 1 Bike oil, and Fram filters.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts

What does the owners manual reccomened? If they reccomend motor oil then when at the gas station look in the trash cans... the amount of oil left in the bottom of a 1 quart container is about how much you need to lube your chain ;)

I used to be a poor college kid too ;D

·
Registered
238 Posts

I got my Maxima Chain Wax at Cycle Gear...small rattle can 5 bucks.

What I can't figure out is....whether I put enough on.

I spent a good hour cleaning my chain and sprockets with kerosene. Even after I applied the spray lube, it's still blingin like Lil John's mouth.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Yeah, that's why I get Bel Ray Super Clean Lube something or the other.

It's white when applied, so I know where it's been sprayed. Also, I LOVE the fact that it does not attract dirt or grit.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts

Honda makes some chain wax, pretty much equal to maxima chain wax from my experience.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

I bought my Maxima Wax at a little rinky dink dirt bike repair shop run by some college kids.

·
Registered
17 Posts

slappermouth said:
I spent a good hour cleaning my chain and sprockets with kerosene.  Even after I applied the spray lube, it's still blingin like Lil John's mouth.
Think O-ring. As in your chain has lots of them. No need to clean it for an hour. More than a couple minutes and you're wastin time. Get the grime off, hit it with something to coat the metal and get on with your day. Unless of course, the bling is what you're after, then knock yourself out.

BTW - Bel-Ray Super Clean is the best stuff I've ever used. Goes on white, dries white. Does NOT throw off at all. Does not wash off in the rain...much. Won't mess up your rear rim or your jacket.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

donniej said:
What does the owners manual reccomened?  If they reccomend motor oil then when at the gas station look in the trash cans... the amount of oil left in the bottom of a 1 quart container is about how much you need to lube your chain  ;)

I used to be a poor college kid too  ;D
BOO!!! It slings eveywhere :'(

·
Registered
359 Posts

I like the honda stuff. Got a thing for 4 bucks at cycle shop and lasted pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts