Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a stage performance coming up for my SO, and they want me to do a burn out on a stage, making as much smoke and stinky as possible. to be exact its the dodge theatre in phoenix az. anyways they have a wood stage, im assuming there gonna put something over it to protect it, but how dumb would it be to do it on wood? what about that concrete sheet stuff you can get. there gonna get me new tires.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wood can have a lot of grip. Make sure the place is ventilated or that smoke detectors won't go off, otherwise you may get a bill from the fire chief. I'd be worried about the front tire slipping on an especially nicely waxed bit of flooring.

If you burn out directly on the wood stage, who will be paying for the damage?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Mmm, it'd probably destroy the wood, a peice of 1/2inch treated plywood would be good enough to protect the stage, I've done a nice smokey burnout in the grass so I know wood will produce one.

I'd be more concerned about reving the snot out of the bike with no air moving through the radiator other than what that tiny fan can draw through only one side of it.

Oh, just make sure whatever you do it on is big enough to get both tires on, you don't wanna rip someones ankle off with a concrete shingle or something when it gets flung out from under the back tire....or ignore what I said, that would make a cool youtube video, Actor dismembered during boring old stage play.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
just put down some plywood, hell make a wheel chock out of some 2x4's and maybe even use a little bleach for some added smoke.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
keyword was plywood, so you don't damage the stage.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
as cool as it would be, i have to go with bad idea. Too much chit to go wrong, and if it does go wrong you'll be on stage trying to fix your fubar with everyone watching.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
just put down some plywood, hell make a wheel chock out of some 2x4's and maybe even use a little bleach for some added smoke.
The wheel chock is a good idea. Even if it's only an inch high, it'll help keep the front tire in place while holding the entire board under the bike, plus it'll still be short enough to hide from the audience and to ride over after the burn out.

Also, if the board isn't bolted to the floor, put some tacky material underneath it so it doesn't scoot off when you try to ride on and off of it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you do this, make sure a video is posted.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Hell if you got a 4x8 sheet of plywood laying around try it and decide if it's doable for you or not, just make sure you have both tires on it and grab the front brake as tight as you can, oh and make sure the bikes straight up and down, don't want it coming around on you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just talked to my lawyer buddy and he thinks that it's a REALLY bad idea. Too many things can go wrong, and if something were to go wrong, it would go really wrong.

If you were to do it, make sure that either the promoter or the arena has a no liability form that you would sign...

But his words were, "if I were him, I'd pass. These are the kind of things that can impact someone's life - and not in a good way. He could hurt or potentially kill someone... Not worth it in my opinion. Let someone else F up their life."

·
Registered
723 Posts
Do a rehersal to see how its goona go and work out the bugs. Not doing it is probably best.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'd say go for it but not untill you have a really good (safe) plan. There have been some really good ideas said on here. Take them and expand upon them. Everything we do in life has potential for disaster. Just take your time and do it right. Could turn out to be really awesome.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I'm gonna have to say bad idea unless you know someone who does this kind of thing and knows what exactly to do and what can go wrong.

The stage owner should have some say in this if you consider doing it. If things go wrong and the stage owner claims they had no idea someone was going to do that, it's all on you. No liability forms can be busted with a good lawyer.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im leaning towards not doing it, they want it to be a intro to some sort of dance, SO is a choreographer there talking about pyrotechnics and such, and it being in the dark with lasers and such. they mentioned the idea of a cart to remove it on/off stage quick, no thanks doing a burn out on a non stationary object, would be fun though. but not worth risking mesing up my only mode of transportation right now. maybe if bike was bolted down and such. but na

1 - 20 of 34 Posts