Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a little leak going on with my fork seals (9k miles, not too surprised). The original owner of questionable intelligence had some sort of sticker applied to the right stanchion and I think this may have been the cause (because that side is leaking much worse).

Anyhow, I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and have the seals fixed (haven't gotten a quote yet, ~$300?) or go for the GSXR swap. I know it is common on the SVs, but could only find one memeber ///Matt who went through with the swap on a Gladius. Have people decided it isn't worth it on these bikes or something? Maybe there are more swappers out there -- I had a hard time sorting through all the SV search results.

Is the swap more complicated on the Galdius? I'm especially hoping to hear from others that have faced this same predicament.

·
Registered
326 Posts
if your pulling the forks, either A send them to traxxion dynamics. or B do a gixxer swap. both cost and perform about the same. i prefer the traxxion job, because they bolt right back in, and perform flawlessly!!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I'm not a Glady owner, but unless you have issues with your front suspension and brakes, I would just replace the seals, and replace the stock springs with ones better suited to your riding wgt and install emulators. If you don't have issues with the way the front handles, then just fix the seals and replace the fork oil. It's not a big deal to work on the forks yourself.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ehhh, change the fork seals. Do it yourself or find someone local who can help you. It really isn't an incredibly difficult procedure. Though it takes some mechanical aptitude. But if you swap your forks, you're likely going to do even more work -- and spending more money.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Heh, that's like saying "I'm due for an oil change, maybe I should replace my engine with one from a Corvette."

A GSXR front will likely cost you $600, which I believe is without the wheel, which you might need to buy separately. Then you'll probably have a lot of d1cking around with fitting headlight brackets, etc, so you'd add to that considerable labor costs.

So these aren't cost comparable operations. A seal is what, $20? They aren't hard to change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your guys' input. I ended up going for the fork seal replacement -- the swap would have totalled more than I'm willing to foot and I probably would have ended up with some wonky light and gauge mounts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a 30year old harley that still isn't leaking fork oil and my Glady is over 11k miles and no leaks. How aggressive do you ride? 9k seems awfully short.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Could be a bit of dirt stuck between the seal and fork. Try sliding something thin, like a piece of camera film or something, between them to see if anything comes out. Seals usually last a lot longer than that.

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
Heh, that's like saying "I'm due for an oil change, maybe I should replace my engine with one from a Corvette."

A GSXR front will likely cost you $600, which I believe is without the wheel, which you might need to buy separately. Then you'll probably have a lot of d1cking around with fitting headlight brackets, etc, so you'd add to that considerable labor costs.

So these aren't cost comparable operations. A seal is what, $20? They aren't hard to change.
Surprisingly, with oem parts, it's over $100 to swap. More if the local HD dealer gives you the wrong ******* oil cause they're morons!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bike was quickly diagnosed with 2 leaking seals. The previous owner did a lot of freeway, so he told me. Maybe high speed pot holes could have accelerated the life of the seals.

I got the seals and oil replaced, as well as the stanchions polised, the front end degreased including brake pads, and a new front tire installed all for just under $450(parts,labor,tax).

I'm content with the outcome because I'm experiencing better steering braking and shock absorption all for a relatively modest price. My cornering comfort is vastly improved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts