Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not looking for direct comparisons, but a friend of mine (yes a new rider) is looking at the Ducati Supersport 800 as a first bike.

I'm generally strictly against beginner riders buying even 600cc bikes, but I've also read that the Ducati Supersport 800 is Ducati's best intro bike (for beginners). Is this correct? It has 77hp and weighs about the same as the SV650S. How different is it otherwise? Faster/slower acceleration? Is it a rpm bike or torque bike?

Does anyone have any good info on that bike?

I own a 2005 Suzuki SV650S (moved up from a 2004 Ninja 250 which I put 7k miles on before upgrading). He's going to take the MSF before buying the bike, which is good.

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Landshark said:
.. but I've also read that the Ducati Supersport 800 is Ducati's best intro bike (for beginners). Is this correct?
No, Ducati's best intro bike for beginners would be the Monster 620.
Ideally, your friend should follow your example and start on a Ninja.

If the SS800 has the same motor as the Monster 800, then it has the same performance as the SV650. One of those Brit bike mags got almost identical numbers between tests of the SV and tbe M800.

·
Registered
13 Posts
asp125 said:
Landshark said:
.. but I've also read that the Ducati Supersport 800 is Ducati's best intro bike (for beginners). Is this correct?
No, Ducati's best intro bike for beginners would be the Monster 620.
Ideally, your friend should follow your example and start on a Ninja.

If the SS800 has the same motor as the Monster 800, then it has the same performance as the SV650. One of those Brit bike mags got almost identical numbers between tests of the SV and tbe M800.
It's the same motor as the Monster 800.

+1 on getting a Ninja 250 then moving up--the 800 is a bit much to be starting on. It also *may* not be what he would want to stay with, considering the valve adjustment cost...hence a used one would be advisable if he must have the Duc. It's also a bad idea to have a new bike as your first one, unless you're rich enough to not care when you drop it. I don't know how much SS tanks/fairings cost, but Monster tanks run $1200. Duc parts can be hard to get a hold of in a timely manner as well. You should tell him to check out www.ducatimonster.org and http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com for more advice if he wishes to pursue the SS. www.beginnerandbeyond.com has some good bike choices if not.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just worry that a Ducati, with its eccentricities, will be a bit much for a new rider. Ducatis are notoriously tempermental. That makes them endearing... to people who really love motorcycles, and know that they love motorcycles. Someone who is dedicated to the sport/hobby/lifestyle is a lot more likley to put up with a Ducati's wierdness and general quirky reliability.

That said, if one was going to get a ducati as a first bike, I'd reccomend the Multistrada 620i. Funky bike, kinda cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts