Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An SV with a pipe sounds more like which bike??? a Ducati or an RC51 with pipes??

:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd guess more like the RC51 because my 99 Ducati 996 sounded like my diesel.
The dry clutch was louder then the exhaust :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
With a Holeshot high mount on my '05 SVS, I have had it confused for a Duc, by a friend of mine who owns a Duc, but granted this was from a distance.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
The only way an SV would be confused for a piped RC (especially a dual piped RC ) would be if it were 2 SV's ripping it side by side at the same time. One of the best sounding bikes ever made, would be the RC-51.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only ask this question after hearing the Ducatis racing today on Speed. It just sounds so different then the I-4s. When I was at the Rolex 24 you could tell with your eyes closed when the Panos V10 hammering around the track in the mids of Flat 6s and other V combination engines.

I guess I need some to ride my bike past me at a decent clip so I can hear what she shoulds like at high RPMs under load.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nex, I can ride past you at a high rate of speed and you will say "Who's throughing the sewing machine past me!" (still have the stock pipe on mine) Then I can take your bike past you at speed so your answer will be presented to you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
An RC-51 sounds much louder, deeper and nasty.

The Ducati sounds much more melodic (che Italiano!) and mechanical.

The SV to me sounds more like a cross between a thumper and air cooled Duc, but even that is a stretch.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
RC51 sounds like sex.

Duc sounds like a nice V-twin, but with a 10 ft length of chain dragging behind it. :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Umm... you all know that the rattling sound from a Ducati's dry clutch goes away as soon as you release the clutch don't you? :?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
my buddie's ducati sounds nothing like my svs. he's got twin remus hi-mounts on it. it's so loud, it's borderline obnoxious.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
SVandST said:
Umm... you all know that the rattling sound from a Ducati's dry clutch goes away as soon as you release the clutch don't you? :?
ummm, yes I do, but thanks for asking. :)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
when I got my race slipon and 2wj fairings done with no decals... I had a few people ask if my bike was a Ducati.then would guess Buell. But my buddy with an ST-4 says he wishes his Ducati sounded like my SV :wink:

I think the SV sounds a little more like a Buell than either of the bikes listed in poll.... with my Yosh full race exhaust... it sounds like a less obnoxious Buell with pipes :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
To me, an SV sounds like neither. They all sound like twins, but that's where the similarities begin and end.

A '51 with a dual full system is just sick - and revs so freely it's silly.

A Ducati 99x has a whole different timbre. If money made a sound - it'd sound like a 999r.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nex, here's a vid of the SV "at a decent clip".

http://wah.midco.net/kjohns/video/Turn1_2004.mpg

This was taken in turn 1 at BIR, approx 10,000RPM in 6th gear, so there's definitely a load on it. The first pass isn't so great because I was chasing an I4 so there's a mix of sounds. The 3rd pass sounds pretty good. It was my cameraman's first time with a camcorder so the footage ain't that great.

I don't think the SV sounds real close to either the Duc or an RC, although if I had to choose I'd probably go with the Duc.[/url]

·
Registered
109 Posts
SVandST said:

Only if it's in gear :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts