Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BToday I went to a Ducati BBQ at a local dealership, and they we're doing demo rides. So I decided to ride the panigale... Holy effin sh!t... I was blown away by it.

First: the ergonomics were pretty awesome, speedometer was clear as day even in the sun. It was like an iPhone screen (not touch screen).

The bike is beautiful, and the concept behind it, and the way it was engineered makes it that more special. Even tough it's a whopping 1198cc engine, it felt very light, and perfectly balanced.

They explained me how the mapping selection worked. Very simple, you select the different modes with the tin signal switch. Choose race, sport, or wet.

The guys said to start with wet and then I could change it.

So the ride began. Immediately noticed that the wet mapping cuts A LOT of power, I gave a bit of gas and it felt kinda dead at low rpms. It picked up a bit at higher.

The quick shift is rough at lower rpms, you feel the clutch re-engaging. But it becomes smooth as butter once you crank it up.

So enough of this crap, let's switch to race... It's like two different bikes. The race setting allows you to use all 195hp and turns off the traction control. This thing pulls like a bull and it's stupid fast. There were some long straight wide open road so I was able to push it a bit, and found out that this thing wheelies pretty easily... That was unintentional...

Agility is phenomenal, due to its low center of gravity this thing is rock solid in turns. Grant it, I did not drag knees, but there were a couple of fast turns back to back, and it took no effort to flip it from side to side, and I felt incredibly confident.

Now the bad.

Even though the exhaust is at the bottom, one of the headers loops right below the seat, and the heat shield protects a bit, but it still gets hot. Also the clutch cover bulges out a bit and while you're still, it's pretty close to your leg, and heats up quite a bit. Also the rear shock is on te left side of the bike, and when you're still it digs a bit into your thigh.

The drive by wire throttle is veeeery sensitive, but I guess it takes a bit to get used to.

So in a few words, this bike is amazing when you keep it happy, it does not like to go slow, it's a very poor commuter (duh), and I think everybody should test ride it and witness a truly amazing bike.

I'll post pictures later :)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
yeah ive got my roomates older 999R to ride and damn what a thrill. Amazing they let your ride a panigale without leaving a first born and your house as a deposit lol

yeah there not meant for commuting. Even sitting in traffic for a few mins on the 999 and its temp climbs well over 220 degrees. Believe me it gets flippin hot.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Also the clutch cover bulges out a bit and while you're still, it's pretty close to your leg, and heats up quite a bit.
Just more proof that having a wet clutch on a Duc is silly.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
They actually let you test ride it?
That's pretty amazing my local dealer had the unveiling on 4/28 and it was on a pedestal in the middle of the show room. Maybe it was just too new for test rides.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
i got a dealer to get me SUPER close to ride out on a 1098 but as i talked to the sales guy and got the ok and went to get the keys, only to find someone was about to buy it so i couldnt take it... lol

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I knew they had it there, but I thought it was only for the showroom. Needless to say, I got giddy like a boy on Christmas, when I found out that they were letting people ride it...

I'll try to post some pictures between tonight and tomorrow I also did a walk around of the tricolore version, which has the Italian flag motif, electronic suspensions, termignoni full exhaust, some carbon fiber. I asked and they said that out the door the tricolore is around 30k. The one I rode was the base model and the suspensions were not electronic.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
You've got to watch doing test rides on such things....you are on a road to ruin! Those guys are like the local Pusher giving you a hit for 'free'. They KNOW you'll be hooked and come back for more. Run, run away!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Thanks for your take Prodigy. :)

I've read that the ergos are pretty good on this bike (other than the shock at a standstill) and I was wondering how tall you are and how much you weigh. If you don't mind sharing of course.

You've never had a chance to sit on or ride an rsv4 have you? I know they (the duc and ape) are both very small, but I'd like to know how they compare.

Oh yeah and doesn't the standard panigale come with non-led lighting?

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
They don't have any Panigale demos yet at my local dealer. Will definitely give one a ride when they do.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The quick shift is rough at lower rpms, you feel the clutch re-engaging.
The DQS doesn't use the clutch. All it does is momentarily cut the ignition. What you're feeling is the ignition kicking back on.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Plain and simple: Ducati Superbikes are not meant for the street. That being said, they are still a blast :) I have only sat on a Panigale, but it felt lighter and substantially smaller than my 1098. It's probably best I don't know what the extra 25 hp feels like...

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
You've got to watch doing test rides on such things....you are on a road to ruin! Those guys are like the local Pusher giving you a hit for 'free'. They KNOW you'll be hooked and come back for more. Run, run away!
I don't have 20k for a motorcycle, or much of anything else. They can't try and snake me out of something I don't have. :p

SO I would gladly rape as many motorcycles as they'd let me.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some pictures, I'll post a few more in addition to a wal-around video of the tricolore.

More to come :)

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While you wait for the rest of the picters, enjoy this video, I posted it a while back (I'm not the author), but I think it's a cool video :)

And to answer some of the questions, I am 5'7" 160lb and I am italian, so this bike just fits my DNA :p I felt pretty comfortable on it, although my wrists started to annoy me after 20 min, but it was also because I was pretty tense, its not every day that you have a 20+ thousand bike under your butt, which you do not own :/. I've never sat on an RSV4, not many Aprilia dealerships around here for some reason, but in a review I read, the RSV4 is almost head to head with the panigale, and it costs less. But IMO it's not like you're paying more money for same performance, the panigale has a bunch of other amazing features that the aprilia does not offer. I think it's a bit overpriced, true, you're paying more for the name, but it's not by much. The tricolore model is out the door all included, around 30k, if it would be around 26k I think it would be fair.

Also I realized I said something stupid about the clutch re-engaging, it's true, it's just the gas beign cut off

·
Banned
686 Posts
I have a couple good friends/customers who have purchased the 1199 (S model). My friend Andrew was nice enough to let me take his out one morning on the start of our ride (in exchange for a gentle flogging of my Sport).

The main thing that struck me is that it's a Ducati, strait through. It still growls, vibrates, and shakes. You feel the engine in your chest, not in your legs.

The second thing that struck me is the size of the machine. It's tiny. Put it in line next to it's predecessor, the 1198, and the old superbike looks like a pig.

I won't get into the electronics. We all know they're there, and we all know they work well. Suspension is tunable to your liking, as is the DTC (which works extremely well, keeping the front wheel on the ground even when dumping the clutch in first gear with WOT).

The heat is the biggest complaint we hear, not that most people do. The carbon heat shield cuts down a bit on it, but not much. The suspension/leg problem is only on the S model, as the interference only comes with the electronic adjustment module sticking out.

Installation of the mirrors can be used as torture in some countries. Do not break them off. ;D

Most dealers don't do demos purely on insurance reasons alone. Our shop choses not to do a demo on the 1199, for that reason mainly. There are also other reasons I won't get into. Currently, we only have the Ducati 848SF, MV Agusta Brutale R, Ducati Diavel, and Aprilia Tuono up for demo. If we happen to sell one of those demo bikes, we'll replace it with something else. But 4 motorbikes open for the public to ride, abuse, scratch, and abuse, is plenty. ;D

If anyone is in the SE Virginia area, and would like to see one of these in person, sit on it, fondle it, and learn all there is about it, simply PM me and we'll make it happen. While it is the flagship model for Ducati at this time, it's still a motorbike, and we try not to restrict people's access to learn all they can about the bike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I can't believe that their demo is a tri-colore "S"... simply stunning bike... I've demoed a 1098 and I've got a 998 now but I'd love to throw a leg over the 1199... supposed to be 399lbs without gas... crazy light...
FWIW the 1199 was dynoed at 158HP at the rear in this months sportrider. The 195 was Ducati's claimed HP at the crank. It will still make your SV feel like a dog after riding one. When I took the Tuono V4 out a few weeks back my older Tuono felt so slow... weird but it does...

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
From what I gather, the European manufacturers tend to encourage demo rides. It still is up to the shop and liability, as BKS mentioned, but all of the metro Atlanta shops that have European bikes usually outright offer you a demo of something when you walk in the door. The shops that sell the Big 4 on the other hand flat out refuse a demo. They tell you to buy it, ride it for three hours, then come back and tell them what's wrong.

That's one reason I'm leaning toward a Sprint 1050 instead of the VFR800 as my next bike. I got to demo a Sprint by myself for about an hour, and when I brought it back the sales guy was actually surprised I came back so soon. Sure, I know both bikes will never be sold new anymore, but I still can't find a used dealer who will let me demo a viffer.

I'm glad you like the 1199 though Prodigy! It seems every time I visit BMW Motorrad of Atlanta (also a Duc dealer), they never have a Multistrada 1200 on the floor :( Sure, it's not in my top 2 and it's way out of my price range, but I'd still like a dang ride!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts