Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put some dualsport tires on my '01 SV to better enjoy the many dirt roads in my area. So far, my searching has led to a few dualsport or supermotard tires: Avon Distanzia, Pirelli MT60r, Pirelli Sync, Contiforce Supermotard. Some of you must have some experience with one or more of these tires and I'd appreciate any reviews you could offer.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
richski48 said:
I'd like to put some dualsport tires on my '01 SV to better enjoy the many dirt roads in my area. So far, my searching has led to a few dualsport or supermotard tires: Avon Distanzia, Pirelli MT60r, Pirelli Sync, Contiforce Supermotard. Some of you must have some experience with one or more of these tires and I'd appreciate any reviews you could offer.
I've runt the Pirelli MTR60s and Avon Distanzias, I have also met another SVer who runs Avon Extreme Wet tires

MTR60s are awsome in gravel/dirt roads , but melt like butter on dry pavement, they are also awesome on wet pavement

Distanzas are medeocre on dirt and wet in comparison to the MTR60s, but last much longer on dry pavment

my understanding is that the Avon wets are similar to the MTR60s

my milage with MTR60s has varried from 1200 miles in warm 65-70° temps to 4000 miles in winter

the front tire scallops badly towart the end, and the rear will get flat spots on the edges, yup their soft

and noisier on pavemnt than big mudder tires on a SUV

I have only run one set of distanzia's they lasted about 3500 miles, I liked them better on the pavement , but not as well on gravel, snow & ice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is an interest I have.
the SV650 is a terrific project to turn into a dualsport. is there anyone on this forum that has done some mods toward that end? threads?
z

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm already looking ahead to the fall and early winter... and I want to know if there are dual sport tires that will fit an SV1000?

front 120/70
rear 180/55

I know Avon makes the Distanzia, but I'm not sure how big they get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
the SV650 is a terrific project to turn into a dualsport.
How do you figure?

It's too heavy. The suspension is completely inadequate for off-road. The best you could do is turn it into a DL650, and even then, that's not what I call a dual sport. If you've ever ridden a true dual sport, one that is competent off-road, not just gravel and dirt roads, you wouldn't make a statement like that. Maybe to some people dirt roads are dual sport. But that's not what the term means to the "dual sport" crowd.

·
Registered
419 Posts
BTW, to the original poster, the Continental TKC 80 is a very good tire for the uses you speak of, though it's a little pricey and I don't know if it's available in SV sizes, you'd have to check it out. But it's used by a lot of BMW GS riders and I have a set on my KLR.

Some of the best dual sport tires are tube types. Some others are not available in SV sizes. I have friends who like the Distanzias, but I prefer the TKC 80.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Randy S said:
How do you figure?

It's too heavy.  The suspension is completely inadequate for off-road.  The best you could do is turn it into a DL650, and even then, that's not what I call a dual sport.  If you've ever ridden a true dual sport, one that is competent off-road, not just gravel and dirt roads, you wouldn't make a statement like that.  Maybe to some people dirt roads are dual sport.  But that's not what the term means to the "dual sport" crowd.
follow me sometime on my SV, heavy is realative, if you a big guy like me, the 400lb wet SV is like a 200lb dirtbike to the average rider, I admit, suspension travel is limited, you have to be carefull when you get off the beaten path

·
Registered
419 Posts
I hear you Randy, but off-road, it's not just the weight of the bike relative to the rider, it can also be the total weight of the bike.  Depends on the conditions.  Absolute weight is a negative in sand and mud, period.

The original poster is looking for better tires for gravel and dirt roads.  That makes a lot of sense to me.  But notice how folks subsequently make the leap to modifying the SV to a dual sport, reinforced, no doubt, by the marketing of various manufacturers who like to classify their multi-cylinder behemoths as dual sport bikes.  At least those bikes have better suspensions.  But you are still left with too much weight, exposed vitals like oil filters sticking out low on the front of the engine (that's too funny off road), low exhausts, and on and on.

People ride the wrong bikes to many amazing places.  And I am a champion of use what you've got.  I read an article about some journalist that rode an italian street bike across the Sahara recently.  Made for amusing reading.  But he seemed to be fighting that bike and complaining about it thew whole way.  It's just not a good idea to try to mod an SV into a dual sport, IMO.  Suzuki already went about as far down that road as they could.  Not a bad bike, that DL.  For the conditions to which it is suited.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Randy & Randy,

You've both made some good pionts here, yes the SV is heavy even by dual sport standards. An SV is 26lbs (dry weight) heavier than my already porkly KLR650 and 39lbs heavier than a DR650 and in the dirt half-tank and full-tank can make the difference of getting through a trail.

Now if you throw on a set of supermotard tires and compare it to the BMW FS650 (non-Dakar) then your comparisons will get a lot closer all around. But, if you ask the true dual-sport guys this is an Enduro or a SUM (sport utility motorcycle).

In a nutshell:
If you want a "dual-sport" from an SV your going to spend $5000 to build the one in the pic above. In which case you'd be better off spend $5000 on buying a KLR, DR or XR.

If you want an "Enduro" for gravel roads, you might be ok with some supermotard tires but, you have to remeber things like rake (fork angle) are different between an Enduro and a Sport bike.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Some of it is semantics also. For instance, you referred to the European SV in the pic as a dual sport, as did the person posting that pic. Yet that bike is not street legal. It's not "dual" anything. There's no headlight, no turn signals, and I can't btell if there are any guages. Those things add even more weight.

And, as far as off-road goes, I don't see much of a bash plate, if any, but that may be my poor eyes or fuzzy pic. And little things like no gaitors. How long will those forks seals last when gravel chews up that fork? Frankly, I don't know any of my dual sport buddies who'd ride a bike like the one in that pic on any sort of "dual sport" activity that we ride.

All these things add weight. Spec on the DL650 dry is about 417 lbs, isn't it? Not the 370 something of a street SV. Granted, some of that is in the longer frame, but I'd be adding to that weight before I'd take it off road and you still don't have a real dual sport in my opinion.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Randy S said:
Some of it is semantics also.  For instance, you referred to the European SV in the pic as a dual sport, as did the person posting that pic.  Yet that bike is not street legal.  It's not "dual" anything.  There's no headlight, no turn signals, and I can't btell if there are any guages.  Those things add even more weight.
Yes I did (I posted the pic), my bad I didn't even think about that.

Randy S said:
And, as far as off-road goes, I don't see much of a bash plate, if any, but that may be my poor eyes or fuzzy pic.  And little things like no gaitors.  How long will those forks seals last when gravel chews up that fork?  Frankly, I don't know any of my dual sport buddies who'd ride a bike like the one in that pic on any sort of "dual sport" activity that we ride.
There is a bash plate on it however, I don't know what it's made of or how thick it is. And yah, he does need fork boots.
Sidenote: The above pictured bike has been competed and complete a few mini-dakars.

Randy S said:
All these things add weight.  Spec on the DL650 dry is about 417 lbs, isn't it?  Not the 370 something of a street SV.  Granted, some of that is in the longer frame, but I'd be adding to that weight before I'd take it off road and you still don't have a real dual sport in my opinion.
Your right you don't have dual-sport, you have an enduro. If you want to get technical the KLR is a endro as well and possibly even the DR & XR.
It's all a big semantics thing. I believe that the original post was about making the SV an SUM or light-duty Enduro not a true dual-sport, we've all taken it down that road in our post.... shame on us. :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree. That was the gist of my original post as well. Original poster was asking about better tires for dirt/gravel roads. That's smart. It was just the "dual sport your SV" suggestions that I was taking issue with.

I think it's a real testament to the SV, and particularly that sweet twin, that people can do so much moding to the basic platform and it all works so well. I have a feeling that this bike is going to be seen as a classic in ten or twenty years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts