Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you guys who have replaced the stock single headlight on their naked with duals....how has your night time visibility changed since the conversion? (if at all) Do you feel like you can see further ahead? Feel safer on the road? 'splain...

·
Registered
63 Posts
From what I have geard, you look vis when you put duels on. They are not as bright and have a smaller reflector.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
With lights it's all about diameter.  The bigger the diameter the better the pattern, the longer the throw.  Some lamps are better than others.  My favorites are the Sylvania Xtra Vsions.

V

·
0 Posts
As much as I love the look of the dual setup, I ride at night a lot in deer country and you just can't beat that big ole stock headlight. This time it's function over form in the interest of safety.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
For some reason my bates headlights seem brighter than the 2003 svs stock lights. The bates do have Sylvania Silverstars in them though. Even then, it seems like the headlights throw alot of light to the sides. Great for checking out peoples mailbox numbers while going fast, but thats about it.

Here I'll sum up the brightness with one sentence. I ride with high beams on all the time at night, cause no one flashes me so they must not be that bright :-[

·
Registered
498 Posts
The bates are brighter and look brighter, however, the pattern is pretty bad so the usable light is less.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
ronlarimer said:
The bates don't have any adjustment
You can...tilt them up and down! Or, you can have one tilted down and the other one up...that would be cool.

·
Registered
667 Posts
360? Holy crap! Just turn them aroud to face you, then people would REALLY see you! That would be totally awesome.

J

·
0 Posts
I could if I wanted to. But when we ride at night everyone makes me ride in front cuz they say my lights are too bright

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I had the bates on my bike and the stock is much better at night. At Andy's recommendation i tried the Sylvania Extra-visions (with the stock light housing) and they are excellent. The high beam illumination is amazing.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What is a headlight modulator? Does anyone know? Supposed to improve visibility. I just can't get over the fact that the dual lights look like Number Johnnie Five....or Johnnie Five from that classic movie of same name.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Headlight modulators rapidly modulate the brightness of your lamps. Or, more accurately (I think), the voltage going to the filaments. They don't improve your ability to see, they improve your visibility to cagers ("flickering" lights attract more attention than solid-on lights -- the same principle applies to within-lane swerving to improve your noticability.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Kevin said:
What is a headlight modulator? Does anyone know? Supposed to improve visibility. I just can't get over the fact that the dual lights look like Number Johnnie Five....or Johnnie Five from that classic movie of same name.
the movie is called short circuit... not "johnnie five"

i'm going to have to agree with most people here and say that the stock single is better than some of the aftermarket dual setups..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts