Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

A friend of mine is thinking about getting his first bike. He wants a dual sport. Im gonna get him his M license so he knows how to operate it but i highly doubt he's going to want to get a street bike like a ninja 250/500 to learn on i figure he'll want to go straight for the dual sport since thats what he wants.

I remember a thread popping up here several months ago about a guy getting a certain brand of dual sport thats damn near bullet proof and been around forever. in fact the one he got was like a 1988 version or a 1992 or something "older" and he mentioned that it was still in great condition. He's on this board, i know it.

Anyways, i think the brand bike he got was a KLR650 although I may be mistaken, I was wondering if anyone remembered the thread im talking about and if im correct or incorrect on the brand/model of the bike, if i am actually incorrect if someone would correct me i'd appreciate it as that particular bike looked perfect for my friend and its the brand i want to start looking for, for him.

Thanks,
exh

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I dunno which thread you're referring to, but there are a few DS's that are pretty close to indestructable when properly maintained. Suzuki's DRZ400 and DR350/650's, Honda's XR line (250/400/650), and Kawasaki KLX/KLR line all come to mind.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
A KLR would make an excellent starter bike. The only real downside, as far as making a good starter bike is concerned, is the seat height. Though, this would depend a lot on how tall your friend is.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the DR650 if im not mistaken, I confused KLR650 with the DR650 and since dan, you mentioned they make them in 400cc and other sizes he would be more inclined to ride something a bit smaller.

He's a fairly tall guy, much taller than me, so seat height wont be a problem for him.

Double checking but im 98% certain that the DR650 is the one.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Probably be worth his time to head over to ADVRider and do some research. There's a big range in focus in DS bikes, from the "dirt bike with lights" up to 550 lb. street bikes that have some DS styling cues. Matching his needs/wants to the right type of bike is important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.