Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently installed a dual headlight kit on my SV and while I think it looks great I have no idea what to do with all the wires. The kit came with a pice of large diameter conduit piping which I stuffed the wires and connectors in and put under the headlights, but it is hardly a durable solution. Does anyone have an suggestions as to where to put all these wires., I heard someone put them in an electronics box from radio shack, but I?m not sure where you would mount it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Cormac

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4508655799&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:MT:6

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Self fusing silicone tape would be the easiest, durable solution.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I might get some PVC tubing around 2" or however big it has to be, mount it somewhere (you could even zip tie it) and paint it black. Stuff all the wires in it and put an end cap on one (or both) side(s).

One of the larger RadioShack project boxes would work. RS also sells quite a few kinds of tubing, ties, etc... for "wire management".

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Yeah I have the same kit and I'm not very happy with the wire problem as well. I've basically just got everything stuffed in to the "loom" that comes with the kit, but it still looks pretty bad. I might actually try to shorten some of the wires and repack it. The lights themselves look great I think.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wires

I'm not sure if the naked just has a ton more wiring or what, but I converted my SVS to an SV and it doesn't seem like I had near as much wiring as you guys to deal with. I went with all aftermarket stuff, so some of the wiring was eliminated. The rest I shortened to a good length and used braided sleeving from here http://www.cableorganizer.com/fray-resistant/.

I think it turned out really well and I don't have any excess wiring.

Now I just need to find a windscreen that looks good (Buell-esque).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Very Nice

Looks Kick Ass! I scored a used Buell XB9S Lightning headlight assembly and the flyscreen. The screen is pretty scratched up. I think some sanding and a spray bomb will make it look pretty decent. Expect me to soon post the 1000 and one "I need help wiring up these headlights" post. Looks like the 02 headlight brackets will work with some spacers to make up for the narrow Buell part.

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey athflying79, where did you get your headlight conversion kit from?? that thing look badass dude!! how much was it too

TRICK

·
Registered
197 Posts

The headlights are from Buster's in the UK, I believe they are like $140 but that was for shipping to the US...I would assume a bit cheaper for you. The headlight brackets are from Lockhart Phillips. They were a little pricey ($50), but I think they look really good. If you already have an SV, I believe the lights will slip right into the stock bracket.

I wanted the headlights up maybe an inch so it filled the space in a little better, but the clutch cable was in the way. Other than that, I am very happy with the setup. I am still looking for a windscreen, so if anyone gets a buell to fit, let me know. Just haven't had the time or money to try and get it on there.

And thanks!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts

Ron

Do you have the lights from Busters?? If so, do you have any problems with condensation. My lights don't actually get water in them, but I have to clean them every so often otherwise they get hazy looking from the inside out.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: .

athflying79 said:
Ron

Do you have the lights from Busters?? If so, do you have any problems with condensation. My lights don't actually get water in them, but I have to clean them every so often otherwise they get hazy looking from the inside out.
Yes they are from busters, No water, They are hazy but I don't bother cleaning them. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah athflying79, i got an svs at the moment but am putting loads of trick streetfighter bits on it and those lights would look badass

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Very Nice

RobDog said:
Looks Kick Ass! I scored a used Buell XB9S Lightning headlight assembly and the flyscreen. The screen is pretty scratched up. I think some sanding and a spray bomb will make it look pretty decent. Expect me to soon post the 1000 and one "I need help wiring up these headlights" post. Looks like the 02 headlight brackets will work with some spacers to make up for the narrow Buell part.

Rob
Rob,

The right light is the low beam and the left is the hi beam (with the mounting bolts to the top). I cut both connectors off and soldered the sv harness to the Buell harness. The Buell harness has connectors for the H7 bulbs (at least mine did) so you can remove the bulbs, etc... For the h/l brackets, I used 1/2" diameter poly tubing for spacers. 1 1/2" wide. The bolts were 1/4 -20 x 2 1/4" . I made longer mounts for the h/l assy. The stock sv brackets were too short for me and made the fly screen sit too vertical. I'm working on making some shields for the sides to cover the open space between the h/l and the tach, and to mount the flyscreen. As soon as I get done I'll post some pics.

FYI: the Buell h/l assy is $59 from the dealer and it includes wiring and bulbs. The flyscreen is also $59 but does not include brackets or anything.

Nyle

·
Registered
137 Posts
So

Here's mine mocked up. Nasty Wires! :D

The Buell HL assembly I got has the connectors at the bulbs and the wires were cut from the Buell harness. Just showing from out of the HL assembly. So you hard wired the SV wiring to the Buell headlight? No connectors?

What color SV wire to the left and what color SV wire to the right?

59 bucks for the complete assembly with wires coming out the back? Deal of the year than.

I would have just bought new knowing that. Oh well.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
From the dealer they came with a harness that had a white plastic connector on one end and then 2 connectors for each bulb. If I ever need to remove the assy, I can remove the connectors from the bulbs and the h/l assy is free to be removed. The SV has a yellow wire for the high beam, white for the low beam and black for ground. The Buell harness had the same color wires so I made them match. I switched the yellow wire connector to the proper lens and the white also. Heat shrinked the connections and then wrapped them in waterproof rubber tape. Then I tied wrapped them to the frame to keep everything neat. Oh yeah, I have an '03. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Nyle

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sano

Clean. Good idea for the brackets.

I have a Buell flyscreen just like that. Well mine has these Gigoundous scratches on it! It doesn't fit too good with the first gen guages though.

Warning Will Robinson! I may be sending more PMs with multiple questions!

Rob

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
nparker said:
From the dealer they came with a harness that had a white plastic connector on one end and then 2 connectors for each bulb. If I ever need to remove the assy, I can remove the connectors from the bulbs and the h/l assy is free to be removed. The SV has a yellow wire for the high beam, white for the low beam and black for ground. The Buell harness had the same color wires so I made them match. I switched the yellow wire connector to the proper lens and the white also. Heat shrinked the connections and then wrapped them in waterproof rubber tape. Then I tied wrapped them to the frame to keep everything neat. Oh yeah, I have an '03. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Nyle
Nyle, What does this mean exactly?Are the H/L lenses different on the Buell?.. and are both lights on all the time? Have you had any battery drain issues or alternator wattage overdraw? thanks, I PMed u as well...

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I wouldn't mind the one light on for low beam.... but I would like both on for high beams. Just seems crazy having dual lights and they only work one at a time.

Anyway this is possible without going to a shop where they charge me a gazillion dollars to do something I can do.

Also, does anyone have any info on the lil euro light thats in between the two bulbs. It's missing a bulb. Any info on that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did this on another bike - might work for you.
You can get project boxes from any electronics store - Fry's, radio shlock, wherever. They have a screw on cover with a lip or even a sealing ring sometimes to keep out the elements. Or just find something plastic that you like. Metal may be an issue if you have a bare wire floating around, but if you're careful with your wiring it should be OK. Plastic is also easier to cut and repair if you make a mistake.

Depending on how crazy you want to get, you can put this box anywhere. It can serve as your 'patch bay' if you want to take it that far (I did - very convenient in the long term - PITA to do though).
Drill holes in it, fit rubber grommets, and feed your wiring through. All the connectors go on the inside.
Metal bxes give you a little better option for wiring in. You can use a strain relief connector that provides a good environmental seal. Strain relief on plastic = no-no; the plastic will fatigue eventually.

Since it's a box, you have a good # of options to make a solid mount. Drill tiny holes in it for twist ties. Elstic bands (bungee!)to moutn to a frame tube. Bolt angle brackets or tabs to it to make sold mounts. Anything goes. The point is that it will support the wiring, instead of just covering it up.

For watertightness you can silicone the grommets. Drill drain holes in the bottom too just in case.

In your case, it may be possible to mount a smallish box right onto the front of the frame at the bolt hole for the fairing stay - directly behind the headlamps. Or even screw it onto the headlamp assembly itself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts