Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave-- Thanks to your posts about your experience with the stock SV pegs during the Rally at the Dragon I was able to avoid a similar situation with my own riding. I was getting closer and closer to dragging pegs or boot parts even with relatively clean technique, and I realized that dragging pegs could indeed easily contribute to a 'levering' low side. Due to your experience, I am now the proud owner of a Woodcraft rearset (2" up and back) shod SV, and I feel much better about my safety margin while leaned over.

Just wanted to give a shout-out and let you know I appreciate your candor and honesty in evaluating the circumstances involved in your situation and the potential danger of the low stock SV rearsets.

Ride well...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is it just that I haven't been observant, or does Dave have the highest karma on the board? 8)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DrummerDaveB has lama-like karma!!! ;D

Dave-- It took a little while for the Woodcrafts, but e-bay was my friend...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not to threadjack the DrummerDaveB lovefest ;), but I've been wondering about the Woodcraft rearsets. My housemate (yellow650) has a set on his, and they do look awfully sharp. However, they're solid pegs bolted to the rearset, which is bolted to the frame, whereas stock pegs are on a spring. It seems to me that pegs which bend upwards when they recieve force from below, like the stockers, would be less likely to contribute to a levering-upwards lowside than solid pegs, which couldn't go anywhere when they hit tarmac. No doubt that moving the pegs up and back will help with the clearance issue, but once the Woodcrafters hit the tarmac, wouldn't that be game over? Just curious.

P.S. DDB, I do like Sloth, but I think the guy in full leathers hanging knee off the kiddie ride was absolutely hilarious. Was that you, or did the pic come from the Internets?

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
e lo said:
Not to threadjack the DrummerDaveB lovefest  ;), but I've been wondering about the Woodcraft rearsets. My housemate (yellow650) has a set on his, and they do look awfully sharp. However, they're solid pegs bolted to the rearset, which is bolted to the frame, whereas stock pegs are on a spring. It seems to me that pegs which bend upwards when they recieve force from below, like the stockers, would be less likely to contribute to a levering-upwards lowside than solid pegs, which couldn't go anywhere when they hit tarmac. No doubt that moving the pegs up and back will help with the clearance issue, but once the Woodcrafters hit the tarmac, wouldn't that be game over? Just curious.

P.S. DDB, I do like Sloth, but I think the guy in full leathers hanging knee off the kiddie ride was absolutely hilarious. Was that you, or did the pic come from the Internets?
I've wondered the same about the woodcrafts. I suppose they're high enough if you get low enough to drag them you've got bigger problems anyway.

I've had the panda avatar for a couple years now. I thought I'd try something else out for a while. No its not me. I saw the pic, chopped it up, and made it my av. I think one day I'll make my own, so I can actually say it is me.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
e lo-- You are correct in that the Woodcraft pegs are solid as opposed to the spring loaded (bend upwards) stock peg. I believe that pegs are largely interchangable. I kept the WC pegs because I liked the grip of the deeply knurled pegs, and they are a little shorter as well. I figure if I drag these, I gotta be trying too hard to do something wrong...

On the plus side, under a lowside (regardless of cause), the solid pegs may act as a slider. I'm not sure and I'd rather not find out! :eek:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
I figure if I drag these, I gotta be trying too hard to do something wrong...
DrummerDaveB said:
I've wondered the same about the woodcrafts. I suppose they're high enough if you get low enough to drag them you've got bigger problems anyway.
Works for me! Thanks for the info, as always.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts