Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Do you believe the Earth is really going through a major climate change?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this record-breaking national drought going on, even the more skeptical people is starting to believe in the infamous climate change warnings.

What are you and your loved ones doing to preserve resources and/or prepare for what's to come (short and long term)?

Discuss.

Personally (and please, don't think of this as an attack) I am surprised on how much the American people waste all the natural and energetic resources they have. Do you really need to commute in that huge pickup truck, driving 100 miles every day all on your own? Do you really have to water your huge lawn everyday under the freaking burning sun? Do you really have to prepare that huge BBQ meal every time your friends come and then throw half of it away because nobody eat it? Do you really have to leave the water running while you are doing gosh knows what?

This morning I was awed to see a news article about the drought in the state of Utah... and right by it, there was another article showcasing the "Foam and Water" festival next week in one of the local cities, where people will gather to play with hoses and water balloons. SERIOUSLY!?

After having lived in several parts of the world, I have become more conscious of what we have and how difficult it is to obtain it. I'm specially referring to everything that nature has "lent" us and that is difficult and sometimes impossible to give back to mother Earth.

Food, water, energy... you name it. I really want my kids to grow resources-conscious and not spend and waste everything they have at hand just because they have it.

This is not about national or social pride, it's about opening your eyes and accept the reality. We are killing the planet and only us can do something about it.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I personally try to limit my footprint on our dear mother Earth and recycle, choose not to be wasteful in general, properly dispose of chemicals/electronics, try to use biodegradable chemicals (this is a big issue when all wastewater goes directly into the ocean here), blah blah blah, etc. I'm not a super treehugger but I try to do my part in the environment I live in.

However, the BIGGEST THING I'm doing to preserve resources is to NOT HAVE ANY KIDS.

:)

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
We are all just a virus on the earth and someday floods, hurricanes, drought, tornadoes, fires and all those "antibodies" will start to heal the earth.

but be sure

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
This years record breaking heat has already been linked to global climate change.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...limate-change/2012/07/10/gJQAdv9waW_blog.html

“. . . [Presently] we’re breaking high temperature records much more frequently than by chance. And, by some estimates, the ratio of that exceedance of breaking highs compared to what you would expect by chance would lead to us say to that there’s about an 80 percent chance that the record high you experienced was due to climate change.”

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
I believe it comes down to education. Most Americans alive at this point have never been without potable water, electricity, gasoline, etc. They're essentially a constant in our lives that we expect and so we don't appreciate them. The minds of this country seem to be largely numb and shortsighted. People toss their used containers in the street in my neighborhood nearly every day. At the university I work at, people always leave the lights on. There are even little signs suggesting turning lights out to save energy by the switches. Computers left on all the time as well. People don't think/know about the incremental consequences of their every action and all the things that take place to make those actions so effortless.

I recycle. I try to keep the temperature of my apartment at the very limits of what I can stand, walk to the grocery a lot, drink tap water, put power strips on most electrics to stop the standby usage, and I would cycle if it weren't so terrifying.

I do think that humans will be their own demise. I'm also not adding to the population. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the climate is constantly changing

instead of adapting, too many people believe it's caused by man and there is something we can do about it, to much time is wasted

accept it and adapt, species will go extinct, its the way nature has always worked and always will regardless of how powerful man thinks he is to cause what is occurring naturally

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
the climate is constantly changing

instead of adapting, too many people believe it's caused by man and there is something we can do about it, to much time is wasted

accept it and adapt, species will go extinct, its the way nature has always worked and always will regardless of how powerful man thinks he is to cause what is occurring naturally
That's probably because we can do something about it.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If mother nature wants to flick us off like a booger, that's what's going to happen.

The earth is constantly changing. The effect humans create is absolutely there, but the things we can (or are willing) to do will not prevent the climate from changing.

However, being mindful of our resources is incredibly important, and the U.S. has many large issues with such. Unfortunately I'm of the opinion that most of the U.S. population is effed anyway. Just watch "reality" tv and see how we are portrayed. Granted that isn't what all of the U.S. of America is like, but when I look around at this place I can't help but wonder how things got so messed up.

On the other hand, there is the mentality of "When I'm dead, how many fks can I give?"

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
If mother nature wants to flick us off like a booger, that's what's going to happen.

The earth is constantly changing. The effect humans create is absolutely there, but the things we can (or are willing) to do will not prevent the climate from changing.

However, being mindful of our resources is incredibly important, and the U.S. has many large issues with such. Unfortunately I'm of the opinion that most of the U.S. population is effed anyway. Just watch "reality" tv and see how we are portrayed. Granted that isn't what all of the U.S. of America is like, but when I look around at this place I can't help but wonder how things got so messed up.

On the other hand, there is the mentality of "When I'm dead, how many fks can I give?"

Well, that's not really true.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
That's probably because we can do something about it.
your delusional

where do you get your information ? news media and politicians ?

or straight from the horses mouth and expert meterologist/climatologist

were in a solar flare cycle right now, automobiles and cow farts are not what's causing the global changes

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
automobiles and cow farts are not what's causing the global changes
No, it's all the hot air emanating from the InterWebNetZ, including SVRider.com

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Automobiles, cow farts, the INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION...that's what's doing it.

Solar flares? Really? Solar flares do not cause a warming of the earth. If that were so, we'd see an 11/12 year cycle of up and down.

Right now we're seeing a century long rise.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Automobiles, cow farts, the INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION...that's what's doing it.

Solar flares? Really? Solar flares do not cause a warming of the earth. If that were so, we'd see an 11/12 year cycle of up and down.

Right now we're seeing a century long rise.
get the fact straight, not the media or politician spin

I realize its hard to link to something on the internet to get someones spin

most of what I have learned on the subject has been from listening to the spoken word of a climatologist in seminars, not regurgitated twisted half truths and conveniently missing info

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/14/ice_age/

our climate changes today are mild compared to historical data derived from ice cores

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
That is true, the changes so far have been small compared to the past. But what was in the past doesn't matter. What matters is what is happening now and what will in the next century. In the past, there weren't cities built in littoral areas that will flood.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Well then overpopulation is a good thing as in survival by numbers. The species will continue because we have a large number of our species.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
That is true, the changes so far have been small compared to the past. But what was in the past doesn't matter. What matters is what is happening now and what will in the next century. In the past, there weren't cities built in littoral areas that will flood.
like I said in my first post, we need to adapt to change, that means moving for a lot of people, not my problem, I live above the 275' line that would be sea lever if the polar ice caps melted

you'da thought New Orleans would have move instead of building in already below sea level, especially on the next mountain range being slowly developed as the Mississippi River delta sinks into the earth's crust (prolly happen about when LA is an island off the coast of China and Japan is part of the continental US

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
like I said in my first post, we need to adapt to change, that means moving for a lot of people, not my problem, I live above the 275' line that would be sea lever if the polar ice caps melted

you'da thought New Orleans would have move instead of building in already below sea level, especially on the next mountain range being slowly developed as the Mississippi River delta sinks into the earth's crust (prolly happen about when LA is an island off the coast of China and Japan is part of the continental US

Ah, yes. Spoken like a true Republican. "Don't fix the root of the problem. Deal with it by other means when it gets so big that we can no longer ignore it."

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Ah, yes. Spoken like a true Republican. "Don't fix the root of the problem. Deal with it by other means when it gets so big that we can no longer ignore it."
Republican, Democrat, I'm neither they are both the same spinning the facts

adapt like any other species or go extinct

there is no problem, climate change is a fact of nature, we can prepare for predictions but we cannot change the fact that climate will change

if you believe otherwise, you are delusional too

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I have thumbs.......I WIN!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts