Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm a convert from the Honda camp, and survivor of a few tumbles. I've been riding since January last year. I've ridden a few different bikes, from my ancient CB400, to an 05 Busa, 04 FatBoy, to my last bike, my CBR600. After putting 2K miles on the 600 in 5 months time (no long roadtrips. I'm a workaholic), I started to understand that a 14.5K rpm, 600cc Supersports bike was simply overkill for what I used the bike for... and that understanding was made into a forced bike change, when a deer decided to jump out in front of me, totalling the bike. I've liked the concept of a V-twin sportbike, and the SV650 seems like an optimal choice for what I use the bike for; corner carving, with alot of commuting, and the occasional track day. I hate stunting, squidly behavior, and lack of gear.

And the pic whoring... My last CBR600, with my dad's Germany-spec 99 BMW R1100S

Old school beginner bike. 1978 Honda Hawk CB400. Drum brakes suck hardcore.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome, farmboy. :D (I think I can name the brand of everything under your shed) Does your family collect antiques or do they love keeping the tractor around because it can still be fixed? I'd love to have one of those 69? Chevy shortbed pickups too.

You'll love an SV, it's a very fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the pics are from my grandfather's place, and he's one of those people that was born 100 years too late; cowboy hat, jean shirts, boots and all. He loves the old style of life, loves the farm lifestyle, working on old stuff, and tending his horse ranch. He taught me nearly everything I know in automotives (I'm now an ASE and Toyota Certified tech), and got me into riding bikes. I got the CB400 from him, shortly after he bought his pride and joy, an 86 CB450.

The C10 is a 63, and is another pride and joy project. My grandad bought it brand new in 1963 as a standard box-bed with a 283 and 3-on-the-tree. It was later converted to a 4spd Muncie, then a 4spd auto (what can I say? He got older.) He's already willed it to me when he passes. I will always love that truck. The other one is, I believe, an 85, maybe 86. It's a farm truch with no beauty. Built 383 stroker on a PowerGlyde 2spd, with a 12bolt dualie rear end. Bed's been ditched for a flatbed with a gooseneck hitch.

Farmboy... I like it.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
welcome! some cool bikes.

i definitely know what you're talking about. got drum brakes on my 81 yamaha 250. not that fun haha.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Welcome. I love BMWs. Had one for over 20 years. When its time to pass the SVS to the SO (when she gets her bike license and some confidence) I think a BMW 800ST might be just what the doctor ordered :) Not a boxer but I can live with it I reckon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The boxer is definitely a engine with character. Metric TONS of torque, smooth freeway cruising, and effortless acceleration.

Rev the Busa. Nothing but noise.
Rev the CB400. Nothing but noise.
Rev the F4i. Nothing but noise.
Rev the FatBoy. More obnoxious vibration, and alot more noise.
Rev the BMW.... and the bike wants to roll over off it's kickstand.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Welcome to SVR!
I dream of adding an R1100S to the stable someday. Not a big fan of the R1200S though ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts