Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well.. I hate to say I saw this eventually happening but refused to believe it.

While working during the Gatorade Duel, I parked my bike in an illegal but thoughtful location. About midway through the morning, I get a call from my manager's manager telling me I had better move it or he is going to have it towed. So I move it over to the bike lot they had setup outside turn four.

They had not established a clear "lane 1, 2, 3, etc" in the lot so it was a tight squeeze going through without hitting other parked bikes. Some men in the lot motioned there was space a row over so I made a sharp left then right to cut over to the row. As I was coming out of the right, I don't know what the hell happened but the next thing I know, I am on the ground. Coming back into reality, I hit the kill switch and stand up.

I wanted to puke right then and there seeing my beloved bike on the ground. Thankfully, the guys who had witnessed this whole fiasco come over and assist me with picking her up. Giving her a quick once-over. The mirror and slider took most of the brunt, chewing up the plastic in addition to chewing up the front break lever. In addition to that, a small section of the lower faring and a small section of the exhaust got scratched up.

I didn't study the damage all that hard as I had to go back to work.

This brings me to today when I was cleaning / lubing the chain I noticed the right slider that the bike fell on was crooked. I removed the panel to find the bracket was cracked.

See the black loop thing? That's the bracket that was bent to ****.

Thankfully, when I purchased the bike, the previous owner included another set of sliders. The only downside is you can't install the lower faring without cutting a hole. So after removing the other side I inspected the mounting hardware from the side that took the impact. The entire panel had shifted when the bracket bent which caused the mounting bolt to bend in addition to ******* up the alignment of a motor mounting point.

So... Lots of swearing and about an hour later I had the 2nd set of sliders on and everything back in spec.

So.. ****** experience but it could have been worse. I was already able to find a replacement mirror for $15.00 from a forum and the other components such as the levers and the frame sliders were already on the list for replacement. (See http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=87160 for the sliders and http://www.pazzoracing.com/products.html for the levers)

All that's left is to figure out how to remove the scratches from the lower panel.

In other news, I was also able to finally add the reflective rim stripes I picked up from eBay. They're a dark blue during the day and as the last pic shows, they reflect a tealish hue.

Mirror

Exhaust

Brake Lever

Lower Faring

After I removed the lower faring and installed the sliders / rim tape.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear about the bike. If it makes you feel any better my bike got backed into by a pickup the other day and the damages seemed similar to yours. The kind of "C" shaped bracket that you cracked was cracked on mine too so I ordered a new one. It was 29 bones which sounds steep for 1 so i might have ordered a pair, in which case I'd have an extra. If thats the case you wanna buy the other one off me? Just to defray the cost a little. Let me know and good luck getting her back in shape.

Nick

·
Registered
178 Posts
That sucks man. Once I was parking at a "Stunt Show" back in 06, and parked next to a bunch of bikes by the gate where all the "Professional Stunters" were hanging out, anyways, I pulled right up, and right to the ground I went. SOOOOO embarrassed.

Hope you feel better. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey man, sorry to hear about the bike. If it makes you feel any better my bike got backed into by a pickup the other day and the damages seemed similar to yours. The kind of "C" shaped bracket that you cracked was cracked on mine too so I ordered a new one. It was 29 bones which sounds steep for 1 so i might have ordered a pair, in which case I'd have an extra. If thats the case you wanna buy the other one off me? Just to defray the cost a little. Let me know and good luck getting her back in shape.

Nick
I'm debating if i should go ahead and replace the bracket or wait until the custom sliders are released.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
I'd keep the lowers off.. it looks better with out the bottom section anyway... why hide the twin... sell the plastic and put the cash to more useful modifications... and the best part is you won't have to worry about sliders... motosliders work fine without the fairing in the way...

Oh and it is a Brake lever... the "break" lever would be if the end snapped off :nana:

as far as the mirror goes... a thin sharpie will hide most of it and you could do like I did on my 99... I wanted more visibility so I had a strip of black reflective tape on my mirrors... you couldn't really see it during the day, but at night they reflected well... and it would hide most of that bottom rash on the mirrors unless the mirror broke

as far as the pipe goes... it looks very minimal... you might even be able to clean it up with some steel wool and then some pipe polish

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would wait -- that's what I'm doing. Those bent pieces of tubing do nothing more than hold the fairing in place. The "no-cut" sliders for the lower fairings are going to be the ticket!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well, you know what they say.....

it's not really yours till you drop it. I'm not sure who they are but I think they set us up.

Either way dude it sucks but that really isn't so bad. Most of that damage you wouldn't even see unless you got right up on the bike. It sucks but at least that's all that happened.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Sgt, that's not much damage for a tip-over. At least it was a low speed.
Yeah no kidding! You'll get more damage from trying to park in close quarters at a bike event.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Well, you know what they say.....

it's not really yours till you drop it.

LOL, First day I was practicing in a parking lot with my best friend and brother in law coaching me through until my MSF course, I dropped the clutch and she went down on her right side. First thing out of my mouth, "Well, got that out of the way." They both laughed and helped me pick the bike up.

2 hours later I was feeling much better.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
LOL, First day I was practicing in a parking lot with my best friend and brother in law coaching me through until my MSF course, I dropped the clutch and she went down on her right side. First thing out of my mouth, "Well, got that out of the way." They both laughed and helped me pick the bike up.

Were you doing the tight U-Turn drill? I dropped the bike at the MSF course doing that. You learn really quickly when that happens. Don't let off the throttle!

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Nope, this was 4 weeks before the MSF, I was trying to get used to the friction zone on the clutch.

I did a 5mph lowside that claimed my shift peg 2 years ago. Rolled off the throttle at full left lean, wrong move. I stepped off, it was that slow.

U-turns are still a bit of a nemesis when she's fully loaded by I'm getting better.

·
Registered
683 Posts

LOL. exactly. It's gonna happen. We all know it. Brush it off and get on with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts