Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'03

I just got done draining my tank and putting new gas in; I think I got some bad gas. After finishing the work and putting up my tools, I decided to put a little fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

When I unscrewed the top, the little stryofoam/plastic thing that is pressed into the top of caps popped out (about the size of a dime). I watched in horror as it fell directly towards my gas tank and dissappeared inside.

I don't think that draining the tank again would do any good. The way the inlet to the tank is shaped i could get almost all of the gas out, but the cap would stay inside.

I tried topping off the tank and hoped that it would float to the top, but it didn't work.

Two questions:

1.) Do you think that the cap will cause problems if it is just floating around in the tank? If it dissolves in the tank will it clog up my fuel injectors?

2.) Any other ideas how to get it out? If I remove the fuel pump will I have complete access to the inside of the tank?

· Registered
4,885 Posts
I did the exact same thing last year, somehow the stupid thing came off and literally fluttered into the tank in front of my eyes. I drained the gas and managed to shake it out by holding the gas tank upside down. I dont think it would clog your injectors persay, but it might block the intake of the fuel pump.

· Registered
5,388 Posts
I did the same and left it in the tank for a year before retrieving it. as long as it doesn't fall apart, there's no way it will obstruct the inlet. I had to remove the tank and remove the fuel pump and use tweezers to pull it out of the pump assembly. it floated by a couple times before it took residenct in the pump and if I had one of those 5 dollar grabber things, I probably colud have retrieved it.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the same and left it in the tank for a year before retrieving it. as long as it doesn't fall apart, there's no way it will obstruct the inlet. I had to remove the tank and remove the fuel pump and use tweezers to pull it out of the pump assembly. it floated by a couple times before it took residenct in the pump and if I had one of those 5 dollar grabber things, I probably colud have retrieved it.
I am surprised that so many people have done this.

Was it easy to take apart the pump? When I run this tank out, I will probably try to take out the pump to get to it.

Did you see it float when you put in new gas, or could you actually see it when you looked into the tank? I put a light in there, and I couldn't see it at all.

· Premium Member
13,325 Posts
I am surprised that so many people have done this.

I'm not surprised, years ago, I had an air cooled VW Vanagon, when I first bought it, the firt time I changes the oil, and cleaned the oil strainer, I found a dozen or so caught in the strainer , not many brands use them anymore same with fuel injector cleaner, most brands now have a tin foil seal that you poke a hole in rather than the styrofoam waifer

· Registered
6,557 Posts
If it really was styrofoam it would have dissolved almost immediately. However, since it's on a fuel system cleaner it's more likely to be a fuel-resistant plastic (most fuel system cleaners have a fair amount of toluene). Unfortunately, given the relatively small size of the mesh intake screen you should probably try to get it out. As mentioned above, maybe wash out with isopropyl alcohol. That would be relatively safe, any alcohol left behind would evaporate quickly, any that stayed in the tank would be safely handled by the system.

· Registered
758 Posts
If it really was styrofoam it would have dissolved almost immediately. However, since it's on a fuel system cleaner it's more likely to be a fuel-resistant plastic (most fuel system cleaners have a fair amount of toluene). Unfortunately, given the relatively small size of the mesh intake screen you should probably try to get it out. As mentioned above, maybe wash out with isopropyl alcohol. That would be relatively safe, any alcohol left behind would evaporate quickly, any that stayed in the tank would be safely handled by the system.
I would agree with this except that if it floats, you are probably OK. I wouldn't plug the outlet of tank unless you ran it almost completely out.

I mean, I would try to get it out, but I might wait to burn that tank of gas, wait for warmer weather, etc.

· Registered
5,388 Posts
I would agree with this except that if it floats, you are probably OK. I wouldn't plug the outlet of tank unless you ran it almost completely out.

I mean, I would try to get it out, but I might wait to burn that tank of gas, wait for warmer weather, etc.
Trust me, if it stays intact, it will not plug anything- a physical impossibility. Though if it slowly deteriorates on the other hand, you could have a problem. The one I dropped had a foil seal and also a liner to the cap. I was a little concerned that it wasn't necessarily fuel proof but it seems to hav survived a year in the tank. Now, some of these things still come with cardboard liners and that would be a mess, I imagine.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The injector cleaner was Techron concentrate plus. It had both the aluminum seal and the plastic piece in the top. I am going to call Chevron customer service tomorrow and see if I can get an answer as to what this thing is made of.

If I take out the fuel pump will I be able to put my hand inside of the gas tank and have access to everything?

· Registered
5,388 Posts
If I take out the fuel pump will I be able to put my hand inside of the gas tank and have access to everything?
The pump comes out as a big assembly that you can further take apart to, for example, clean the mesh strainer. The fuel pickup is in a cup of sorts that is at the lowest point of the assembly (when installed). If you've run the tank near empty, there's a good chance that the cap liner will wind up in this cup and you can pull it out with tweezers. Otherwise, it will likely be on the bottom of the tank somewhere near the pump and you'' be able to reach it with your fingers. Worst case, have some 95% isopropanol ready in case you need to wash it out.

If the tank is nearly full, I'd go buy one of these:

and fill it some more and see if you can't get it to float by. Mine was only buoyant for a little while (gas is not so dense to begin with).

If the tank's near empty anyway, go ahead and take it apart- it's really not as difficult as you might think- the fuel connections are quick-connect, and there's just one bolt through the hinge for the tank. Also, your bike is 5-6 years old- the strainer thing on the tank could probably use a cleaning anyway.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pump comes out as a big assembly that you can further take apart to, for example, clean the mesh strainer. The fuel pickup is in a cup of sorts that is at the lowest point of the assembly (when installed). If you've run the tank near empty, there's a good chance that the cap liner will wind up in this cup and you can pull it out with tweezers. Otherwise, it will likely be on the bottom of the tank somewhere near the pump and you'' be able to reach it with your fingers. Worst case, have some 95% isopropanol ready in case you need to wash it out.

If the tank is nearly full, I'd go buy one of these:

and fill it some more and see if you can't get it to float by. Mine was only buoyant for a little while (gas is not so dense to begin with).

If the tank's near empty anyway, go ahead and take it apart- it's really not as difficult as you might think- the fuel connections are quick-connect, and there's just one bolt through the hinge for the tank. Also, your bike is 5-6 years old- the strainer thing on the tank could probably use a cleaning anyway.

Thanks for the answer. I have taken the tank off a few times, I have just never taken the gas pump out of the tank. It looks pretty easy as long as you don't take the rest of the pump assembly apart.

The little grabber thing would work if I could see the plastic piece. I have tried topping it off and sloshing it around and haven't seen it. I also can't see it down in the bottom of the tank. I will probably run this tank out and then take the pump out of the tank.

· Registered
108 Posts
we all do it, apparently. it's easy to remove the tank and take the pump off:
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=82679
"why would you want to do this? because you're an idiot, that's why. Being an idiot, you thought that using a ****** old gas can was a good idea, and then this piece fell off, and landed straight in your tank, nothing but net."

"now you can pull out the crap that you never should have been stupid enough to throw in there in the first place.

is this photo helpful? not really
"

lol just the way a helpful writeup should be written. classic.

· Registered
795 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.