Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I just dropped my SV, motoslider saved a lot of damage, gear shift lever broke, the clutch lever end broke off and i have some scrapes outside my headlight & on turn signals.

It happened at a shopping complex, I was coming straight and did not have a stop sign, other guy in a car was stopped at a stop sign intersection in front of me to the right and he just checked his right and did not see me coming on his left, and spurted out to cross in front of me...in a fraction of a second to avoid hitting him i stopped tried to break and stop and dropped my baby.

The guy in the car did not even stop to see if i was okay...another lady behind him in a pickup asked if i was okay. I'm glad nothing happened other than a few bruises in my knees and ankle.

Good learning experience and I had to drive it to a bike shop without the gear shift lever's end knob.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Install a Stebel Nautilus Horn.. Then next time just lay on the horn. I bet they will look that time. Glad you are ok...

S

·
0 Posts
Although you didn't collide, it sounds like the other driver caused the accident and fled. Did you get the license plate number?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes I totally forgot the horn...I thought of it later...it might have just saved me from falling...

·
Registered
88 Posts
glad your ok, but suck you dropped the bike to begin with. i

have had this happen to me a few times, the first time i tried to stop and dumped the bike, but since then i have been more prepared and have learned to not panic and just ride around the situation.

the worst thing you can do when you panic is grab the brake, which is what everybody does, fight the urge!

·
Registered
61 Posts

notice how you can see anything written above... it's invisible - like you should act when you ride. glad you're ok bro. the other guys should have his ass kicked by the invisible guy on a bike.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I did not get his plate number...I was trying to pick up my bike and move to the side of the road...i was stuck as it was on gear and I couldnt move it without shifting it to neutral & the d*mn knob was broken...

but even if i had got his plate number i dont know what i could have done with it?

Although you didn't collide, it sounds like the other driver caused the accident and fled. Did you get the license plate number?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, it could have been a lot worse.
Its no longer fun when you are down on the asphalt :(

I'm back on the road again, my mantra now: RIDE LIKE YOU ARE INVISIBLE!
Thanks for reinforcing it on my mind guys.

Plenty of instances when I ride beside a car, I keep thinking what if the car changes lane into me. What do you do, slow down...speed up...honk???

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Don't stay beside another vehicle. Either pass or slow down. Be where you can be seen in their side mirror. Keep your thumb on the horn button.

Practice swerving & hard braking where it's safe to do so.

I always keep 2 fingers on the brake lever.

Glad you're back on the road again!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no luckily my turn signal did not break...it does have a few scratches though...
motosliders paid of itself!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Happened to me Sunday for the first time in my 3 years of riding. Dude facing me at a stop sign signals me to go (I was turning right). So I start my turn, then he steps on his gas while talking to his passenger. I instinctively grabbed my brakes and just couldn't get my foot down in time. Fortuntately I was able to hang on to the bar and keep it resting on the peg (no damage). Burnt the living sheet outta my leg getting it up though. He gave me the obligatory "sorry" wave. I resisted the urge to flip, and was content to curse excessively into my helmet....

Glad you're ok. Effing cages.....:angry1:

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Maybe brush up on your low-speed maneuvering skills? :dontknow:

Yes, ride like you're invisible, but it helps to have the skills and control over your bike to avoid situations. Depending on the size of the parking lot, you shouldn't have been going much over 15mph anyway. Not being able to stop without dumping the bike while going that slow... hmm... brush up on your skills.

I'm not saying you suck at riding. I have no idea what the area looked like, and hind sight is 20-20. But treating every "cager" as if they don't see you isn't practical. Riding loses its enjoyment quickly. Practice emergency stops, quick turns, and low-speed maneuvering. All too often, people take the test, get their license, then assume that once they know what they're supposed to do, they won't forget or get rusty.

Glad it wasn't worse. Pick it up and keep riding. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Glad you're okay.

Now, head to an EMPTY parking lot and practice emergency braking skills.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts