Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought home my sv650 for the first time, and my driveway has a nasty dip at the curb. Dropped it right over there, and as my (nervous) wife and I picked it up and it dropped to the other side (d'oh!), we smelled fuel. The small puddle also had hints of green (anti-freeze?). Pick it back up with the kickstand, and this little hose was broken. What is it, and how do I fix it?

Next on practice list: figuring out how to navigate that nasty curb dip since it's my driveway and I'll be going over it ALL THE TIME, and proper bike pick-up procedure.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I bought my 03 svs new and have always had a slit in one of the hoses too. I've always wondered why it was there but it doesn't hurt anything. The fuel tank has an overflow drain hose from the cap for when you overfill. For the dip in the curb, traverse it as close to 90 degrees as you can until you are more comfortable. Technique for picking up your bike doesn't matter if it stays upright, ;-) . I think I've just grabbed it by the bars and seat, squatted and lifted but I've always done it while irritated and haven't reflected back on that much.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
You mean you think it's cut on the very bottom into two hoses? I have a first gen but I'm pretty use these are the gas tank overflow tubes. Nothing to worry about. You could pour a small bit of fuel on the tab above the fillup opening and see fuel come out of these.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i agree with fafa, i think all our bikes have two hoses like that. you probably just knocked them around a little and after dropping it paranoia kicked in and you think you broke it. mine sit behind a bracket next to my oil cover

·
Registered
30 Posts
i agree with fafa, i think all our bikes have two hoses like that. you probably just knocked them around a little and after dropping it paranoia kicked in and you think you broke it. mine sit behind a bracket next to my oil cover
I think just about all of my bikes have had these hoses. One might even be for emissions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome. Yeah, first bike, new rider. Good to learn these things sooner rather than later. Thank you all for the help.

I think part of the problem with the driveway curb is that I tried to take the curb like a speed bump/obstacle, stand on the pegs and give it some throttle, when I should have just taken my time with some friction zone. My street is rather quiet so no worries about getting t-boned.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Men + Manuals = fail

Wife was only one nervous about the drop = man card played.

Oooh you're good!

It really is in our genes.......:screwy:

:D

Sent from my right shoe phone.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
But in all seriousness.

1) Fuel overflow drain hose.
2) Fuel tank vent hose.
3) Coolant reservoir overflow hose (not in picture).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Manual? What's that? I'm supposed to read it?

So the bits of green were probably from the coolant overflow hose as well, from being on its side. Makes sense (now).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Men + Manuals = fail

Wife was only one nervous about the drop = man card played.

Oooh you're good!

It really is in our genes.......:screwy:

:D

You buy a bike with nervous wife, then you drop it on your way home, and then you say only nervous one about the drop is the wife who you say is the main card player........just bustin yer Balz but good luck with that situation.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tips on picking up. I haven't dropped my sv yet. I'd recommend you put your kick stand down get the other side put your back against the bike and have your hands on the handle bar and something else on the bike that cant be ripped off and slowly walk backwards.

Oh and the proper way to pick up the bike is to not drop it :D congrats on the bike and be safe. You should spend some time practicing navigating your bike in a empty lot. I can't flat foot my bike and I have been on some steep inclines with gravel (asking for something to go wrong). Pic your curb dip so we can give you better advice for this beast you must endure

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ha I actually just watched that video this morning.

I went down the driveway today and aced the dip. As said before, I think I just need to take it real slow, feet on the ground. Thankfully the parking lot at work is rather large, so I can continue practicing the things I learned in the MSF as I have time. That and my father-in-law just got back into motorcycling after many many years, so we can practice together on weekends and such.

Oh, and of course the first day I ride (besides taking it home), it's wet and rainy. Nothing like learning early! Same way when I learned to drive a car - rained almost every time I drove. Ah well, that's what rain gear is for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts