Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've got some bucks to spend on the bike and have decided to work over the suspension befor adding an exhaust and PCIII. So, springs and oil are on order, but now I'm wondering if there are any co's out there who offer a drop-in / bolt-on rear shock for the SV? Perferably something that is not going to cost over $500.00 if that is possible.

Thanks,

Jonesy

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just bolted up an 05 GSXR 750 rear shock.

Only thing that needs to be modified is the battery box, and if using the stock GSXR lower bolt, it needs about 7mm chopped off or it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i just installed a svraceshop.com budget sv shock this weekend on my 03 naked. cost approx $300. the only part i needed was a bolt and nut for the bottom shock mount, which we got at a hardware store and grinded down to make it fit.

battery box was the easy part. you can just set the battery on top of the shock and clear the seat.

hard part was making the bottom shock bolt and nut clear the dogbones. we had to grind down the bolt and nut both, but i'm sure you could find the correct parts at a hardware store.

no shock will be "drop-in" easy. it took 3 or 4 guys the better part of 3 hours on my bike to fit it up, start to finish.

i was very satisfied with the people at svraceshop. i just told them my weight and riding style and they sent me a shock that would work for me. i fooled around with compress and rebound settings this morning and the settings they put the shock at before sending it to me are working better than anything i could find.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Benda said:
i just installed a svraceshop.com budget sv shock this weekend on my 03 naked. cost approx $300. the only part i needed was a bolt and nut for the bottom shock mount, which we got at a hardware store and grinded down to make it fit.

i was very satisfied with the people at svraceshop. i just told them my weight and riding style and they sent me a shock that would work for me. i fooled around with compress and rebound settings this morning and the settings they put the shock at before sending it to me are working better than anything i could find.
+1

Else you buy a Penske/Ohlins/Elka, the SV Race Shop modified GSXR shock is the best route to go. It'll come sprung for your weight and valved specifically for the SV.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Benda said:
hard part was making the bottom shock bolt and nut clear the dogbones.  we had to grind down the bolt and nut both, but i'm sure you could find the correct parts at a hardware store. 
Did you try putting the bolt in from the other side? There is more room on one side of the linkage than the other. You want the nut on the big side.

·
Registered
476 Posts
NOsquid said:
Did you try putting the bolt in from the other side? There is more room on one side of the linkage than the other. You want the nut on the big side.
that idea came up, but no, we didn't.

good point though, for future reference for others. this is true.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I used a '04 gisxr 1000 lower bolt. No modifications and no binding problems either. Its a tight fit, but it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts