Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just want to ask a quick question. When installing emulators do you just drill out the holes in the bottom or do you add more holes like race tech says.

What size bit to use?

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
The instructions should be fairly clear about this. You drill out the 4 existing holes per damper rod, and add another pair of holes on each rod. You're drilling them out to 5/16" (8mm). You should end up with 6 such holes per rod.

The center of each hole should be about 10mm away from another (spaced axially, lengthwise) and be perpendicular to the last set so as not to weaken the rod.

If you're uncomfortable doing this, or want the option of going back to stock, the Traxxion kit comes with their own damper rods, but costs like $80 more.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yes, do not drill out the extra holes. They are too high and during full compression you'll loose all dampening, which you do not want to do.

Just enlarge the existing holes as already stated.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just quickly.

What size drill bit to use. I did a number of searches and it seems inconclusive.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
The only problem with the instructions that I've read about was about the tiny hole at the top of the rod and whether or not to plug it up.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I am trying to remember, but I think you up the drill bit to 10mm. BUt someone should chime in with the correct diameter.

Some leave the rebound hole open, so close it up. I closed mine up. I just used JB Weld and it's held up great.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drilled them with a 5/16 and then radiused the edges that they are smooth and rounded. They should flow oil well.

This is when SVrider shines.

Thanks all.

Adam

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The damper rod metal is comparatively soft, I actually thought it might be AL but I don't think it is. Use a sharp (new) drill bit high speed and light pressure and it will go right in. I didn't use a press and didn't need one.

I wound up drilling out to 7/16th and the hole is 10mm or slightly larger.

I spent a lot of time cleaning and deburring.

But you don't need a press.

Adam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts