Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

The above post was a while ago, but do you have one available. I've bought a tracked 2005 SV650 to race and the STV's been fooled with. Don't trust it and would rather not have to worry about it.

Cheers
Malcolm

·
Registered
2009 Suzuki SV650S Gen2
11 Posts
I did this mod a few hundred miles ago....6 3/8" (well, actually 27/64th's) holes in each. Figured it would make it more responsive at partial throttle...yes! MUCH more power per degree of throttle turned. Passing is now easier and the throttle doesn't need to be cranked nearly as far to get adequate power to blast past traffic.

The only down-side would be the stock ECU tuning wasn't able to fuel it properly with the plates opened up. Really lean at WOT and mid-range revs. One way to tell is when you let off from WOT and it speeds up/pulls harder for a bit until you get the throttle closed down. Proper fueling should have the power reducing a linear amount as you close the throttle.

I have a Wiesco FI tuner box so I plugged it in. Added a bit of fuel in the midrange until the lean symptoms went away. NICE! Man does this bike run good now. They would have sold more of them if they had been set up like this.

So....just wanted to document the change and give it a big YES! If you have been thinking about doing the STV's.....and have a PC or some other way to compensate for the additional airflow, you'll like the results.
Is there any video instructional on how to do this? Did you record by chance? Mines doing same it’s gen 2 FI…. 6000-7000rpms it’s Deady McDeaderson. SMH I need power!!!!

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Is there any video instructional on how to do this? Did you record by chance? Mines doing same it’s gen 2 FI…. 6000-7000rpms it’s Deady McDeaderson. SMH I need power!!!!
Boy...that was a long time ago! Best thing to do with the STV's is to just remove the plates. The screws are JIS and have a locking compound on them so heat them up with a soldering iron to break the sealant and they'll come right out. Doing it cold might break the screws...which doesn't matter unless for some reason you think you might want to put them back in. I don't see a need for STV's at all and have them removed along with the shafts, motor, linkage and sensor. Removing all of this does require you to install an emulator to fool the ECU into thinking they're still there or you'll get a CE light.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well that didn’t turn out so good…think I heated up the cheese screw head with sold gun….now head is starting to strip

·
Registered
2009 Suzuki SV650S Gen2
11 Posts
Boy...that was a long time ago! Best thing to do with the STV's is to just remove the plates. The screws are JIS and have a locking compound on them so heat them up with a soldering iron to break the sealant and they'll come right out. Doing it cold might break the screws...which doesn't matter unless for some reason you think you might want to put them back in. I don't see a need for STV's at all and have them removed along with the shafts, motor, linkage and sensor. Removing all of this does require you to install an emulator to fool the ECU into thinking they're still there or you'll get a CE light.
Bro 😂 I don’t even know what an STV is. But I’m about to tag you in my other thread on here. Any insight would be mucho appreciated!

·
Registered
2009 Suzuki SV650S Gen2
11 Posts

Hey recoilRob here is my thread I wanna pick your brain I’m getting no attention on it and I am itching to get her back on the asphalt!

·
Registered
2009 Suzuki SV650S Gen2
11 Posts
rob I’ve educated myself and now am familiarized with the STV’s so we’re good now lol.

so, what if I just remove the plates and leave everything else there? Will I need to I stall emulator in this case? How do I adjust the fuel? Will I need to do that to even have it run?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've done the STV plate removal on my 03 650. No other things need to be done after removing the plates.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
rob I’ve educated myself and now am familiarized with the STV’s so we’re good now lol.

so, what if I just remove the plates and leave everything else there? Will I need to I stall emulator in this case? How do I adjust the fuel? Will I need to do that to even have it run?
Jeff762 is correct....with plates removed the bike will run just fine and the ECU won't know the difference. The STV motor will still be working so your Fast Idle will still be functional and no Check Engine light will illuminate. You do have a slight restriction present from the shafts...but that's really minor and for most something not worth worrying about.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts