Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install the motosliders on my 02svs with oem lower. What size drill bit do I need or is there a write up somewhere on here to show me how to drill it out. like the play-do one?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I talked to the motoslider ppl about this and they said to use a drum sander to open up the hole a little bit...do you have 1st gen full fairings? I have that and I'm eventually going to need to do it too. If you have AIM, add MotoSliders into your buddy list and ask the guy to send you the word document that has step by step instruction on how to install it and stuff like that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have that doc avail now? Dude isn't online

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Drilling '02 OEM plastic to fit motosliders. Search eats it. Drill bit size

Not 100% sure if this works for the '02 as well.. but I used a door knob cutting drill bit when I made the modification for my '03 OEM body work. Works like a charm... just don't put too much pressure when drilling it or you "might" warp/melt the body work surrounding it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I used a flap drill bit, worked a charm (they're basically flaps of sandpaper on a hub- instead of cutting you're actually sanding the plastic away, gives a very good edge and you can tweak it if you need to (remember, don't make the panels flush to the mushroom, if you do that and you ever tough them down in a crash you're probably going to crack the panels around the bung)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Northwind said:
I used a flap drill bit, worked a charm (they're basically flaps of sandpaper on a hub- instead of cutting you're actually sanding the plastic away, gives a very good edge and you can tweak it if you need to (remember, don't make the panels flush to the mushroom, if you do that and you ever tough them down in a crash you're probably going to crack the panels around the bung)
I kind of see what you are talking about. I was looking at the faring last night and no 'hole' is needed to be cut (where the red circle is)

Rather, it needs to be grinded down a bit to make room. Like a semi-circle needs to be cut. Is this consistent with what you are saying?

·
Registered
397 Posts
:-D I need to do that eventually when the bank account is happier...is that your bike? If so, then you basically have the same exact one i have :-D except your's is uber stock...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shekshishekki said:
:-D I need to do that eventually when the bank account is happier...is that your bike? If so, then you basically have the same exact one i have :-D except your's is uber stock...
That's my bike 2 years ago before I bought it. Got all sorts of crap on order and in my condo that I still need to install ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts

i have full fairings on my 1st gen and just installed motosliders 2 weeks ago... it wasnt so hard, i used a dremel and just cut away where the slider was touching the fairing... trial and error until it fit, it was easier doing the opposite side b/c i already knew how much to cut... i got sum pics... lemme look for them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did mine exactly the same as above. Used a dremel, mostly the sandpaper fitting and kept testing. I did it with the lowers on the bike though, dremel works great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mmmattc said:
I did mine exactly the same as above. Used a dremel, mostly the sandpaper fitting and kept testing. I did it with the lowers on the bike though, dremel works great.
Pix speak 1,000 words. Now which dremel grinder did you use? Just one of those round & rough sandpaper thingy's?

·
Registered
73 Posts

-yz- said:
Pix speak 1,000 words. Now which dremel grinder did you use? Just one of those round & rough sandpaper thingy's?
thats what i used

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imdbui said:
thats what i used
Damn, had to stop installing and put everything back on. Didn't have my torque wrench and couldn't get that bolt out. It must have lock tite on it or something, wouldn't budge and I actually broke a wrench trying to get it off! Time for some Husky tools.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most framesliders are a shade less than 2" in diameter.  Usually 1 7/8". So you usually use a 2" hole cutting bit in your drill (do pilot hole first!)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sv ray said:
Most framesliders are a shade less than 2" in diameter. Usually 1 7/8". So you usually use a 2" hole cutting bit in your drill (do pilot hole first!)
Well with the guys that have stock farings, there is no hole required, just a bit of shaving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts