Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be installing a holeshot fender elim on my bike in the very near future... No one i know has a dremel tool. but my best friend has a rotozip. will this work for trimming the stock fender and rounding out hole for the rear flushmounts?

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I got both, Dremel tool is underpowered and very controllable.
RotoZip on the other hand can do a lot of damage real quick if you are not used to it.
It is one of the fastest tools I ever used to get "strange shaped" cuts done.
I have never cut plastic with it so I cannot tell you how that works... take your time and brace your hands and you should be all set.

Dremel is great for delicate and precise cutting and shaping.
You get it in your head that it takes the time that it will take to do it, don't rush.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I used a rotozip when cutting the stock fairing on my bike. As was said by currently hold onto it as it can get away quickly. I tried a couple of different bits I believe I actually ended up using one for ceramic. The plastic bit obviously worked but I just felt for no real reason the ceramic bit was working better. Just keep a good hold of it and take your time.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
i used a rotozip on my fender, it is easy and controled one way and out of control the other way, that is if you cut toward you or away from you, i forget which direction is better

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know that the rotozip is mostly made for drywall...so i was just a Lil concerned...thanks guys

N

·
0 Posts
I'm usually a big fan of power tools, but in this case a plain ol' hacksaw works quite well. BTW, if you choose the Dremel with the cutting disks definitely wear safety glasses as those little buggers shatter easily (always a good idea to wear safety glasses, but particularly important in this case).

:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used a new serrated paring knife to cut the stock fender to fit my undertail. Worked great. A carpet knife would work just fine as well. Box cutters and other razors too flimsy. Living in an apartment, I don't have a garage or a friend with a garage so I did all my mods with the bike parked on the street with hand tools; had to improvise.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
You would be AMAZED at how well a serrated kitchen knife and some lube (engine oil for example) works on cutting plastic. I've literally cut through 6in of ABS in about 20 seconds with this method. Of course, it's very precise, too.

If you choose to use any high speed power tool on the plastic, turn it to a lower speed so the plastic doesn't melt.

Josh

·
Registered
270 Posts
i like dremels... i got the cordless dremel...the new one that has almost as much power as the corded one...like 35,000 rpm or something...worked great on my old ninjas plastics, and sometimes melting can be fun...i welded my plastics on my ninja with a lighter and some pliers :p...god im ghetto.... i cant wait to get my bike so i can hack my fairing all up ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts