Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you do it?? A wire on my fuel tank sensor is nearly broken off so I need to preplace it but how do I drain the tank to do the job?? Replaceing teh sensor it pretty straight forward but getting the fuel low enough is the real question.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Siphon into a seperate gas can.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't drain the tank while raised up but pulling a fuel hose or something???

Anyway this is why I ran out of gas a few weeks back. Got to figure out how much one of those sensor thingys is gonna set me back now.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nexus242 said:
Can't drain the tank while raised up but pulling a fuel hose or something???

Anyway this is why I ran out of gas a few weeks back. Got to figure out how much one of those sensor thingys is gonna set me back now.
You can drain it while it is raised up. Will actually make it easier. The thing I am talking about is a little rubber bulb, with a hose off each end. One side longer and one side shorter. You stick it in the tank, cover the other end with your thumb,squeeze the bulb, and let the siphon do the rest.

This is like the one I have.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
holy shit that little sensor runs $103 from the local dealer. wonder how much cheaper I can get one on line or from a wrecked SV..... This sucks balls. :(

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Better than siphoning

Pull the fuel hose (the larger one) and the vacuum hose (the smaller one) off the petcock. Put on a piece of fuel hose long enough to reach from the petcock fuel port (larger one) to a 5 gallon gas can. Put on a piece of vinyl tubing. Set the tank back down and pull vacuum (you can just suck on it) on the vinyl tubing to open the petcock. Fold the tubing over and clip it to keep the vacuum. If it stops flowing pull vacuum again.

This will completely drain the tank.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Nexus242 said:
holy s**t that little sensor runs $103 from the local dealer. wonder how much cheaper I can get one on line or from a wrecked SV..... This sucks balls. :(
That's a lot of $$. :shock: Maybe Ronayers www.ronayers.com or Oneida www.oneida.com would be cheaper?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nexus242 said:
holy s**t that little sensor runs $103 from the local dealer. wonder how much cheaper I can get one on line or from a wrecked SV..... This sucks balls. :(
Contact the Cyclezoo Racing guys http://www.cyclezoo.com/
They may have one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you shouldn't need to do any of that stuff.....I ran my tank to pretty much empty but there was a little left. It wont spill out when you take off the hoses as vacuum is needed. If you stand the gastank on it's side when you take it off (with the side that has the fuel gauge pointing up..duh)
you'll be able to change the guage without spilling the fuel.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SVbunny said:
you shouldn't need to do any of that stuff.....I ran my tank to pretty much empty but there was a little left. It wont spill out when you take off the hoses as vacuum is needed. If you stand the gastank on it's side when you take it off (with the side that has the fuel gauge pointing up..duh)
Yeah I know how to run the tank to nearly empty, hell I can do it till it IS empty but then who's gonna help me push it to the gas station to refill it afterwards. Well I guess I could buy a small 1gal gas can to do this. I'm gonna see If I can fix the wire before buying another unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nexus242 said:
SVbunny said:
Yeah I know how to run the tank to nearly empty, hell I can do it till it IS empty but then who's gonna help me push it to the gas station to refill it afterwards. Well I guess I could buy a small 1gal gas can to do this. I'm gonna see If I can fix the wire before buying another unit.
Dude..what I'm saying is....you dont need to run the tank until it's completely empty (allowing you to ride and fill up with gas aftewards..unless you live in the middle of f'ing nowhere)..and you can still change your fuel gauge thing-a-ma-bobber

so what is the problem?

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SVbunny said:
Nexus242 said:
SVbunny said:
Dude..what I'm saying is....you dont need to run the tank until it's completely empty (allowing you to ride and fill up with gas aftewards..unless you live in the middle of f'ing nowhere)..and you can still change your fuel gauge thing-a-ma-bobber

so what is the problem?
well nothing I guess I just like to hear myself bitch and complain alot and then be put down by others on the interweb. Thanks for your help!!!
:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nexus242 said:
SVbunny said:
Nexus242 said:
SVbunny said:

so what is the problem?
well nothing I guess I just like to hear myself B**** and complain alot and then be put down by others on the interweb. Thanks for your help!!!
right then.

you're welcome,
Bunny

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SVbunny said:
Nexus242 said:
SVbunny said:
Nexus242 said:
SVbunny said:

so what is the problem?
well nothing I guess I just like to hear myself B**** and complain alot and then be put down by others on the interweb. Thanks for your help!!!
right then.

you're welcome,
Bunny

1 - 14 of 14 Posts