Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was awesome.

We were doing an exercise where we go thru a 90 degree right hander, down a straightaway, up to about 15-18mph, then into a 135 degree righthand sweeper. Slowing slightly before entering the sweeper. Then, accelerate all the way thru the sweeper, using an outside-inside-outside path of travel. Of course, while leaning it all the way thru the curve. I had the little Suzuki GZ250 leaned so far over to the right, I dragged footpeg once I got thru the curve. Never bobbled luckily, was able to maintain my acceleration thru the curve even when the peg dragged.

I thought it was pretty cool.

My instructor pulled me aside after I came to a stop and asked me "Did the peg hit?" I told him, "Sure did!" He kinda chuckled and told me to get back in line.

Then, on lunch break, he proceeded to hop on his HD Ultra Classic and bust off figure 8's and drag floorboards while doing it. Dude has some serious skills on that big ass bike he rides.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
i remember the first time my toe touched the ground it suprised me a little...it was on th dragon :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
wow, deja vu
I could have been the OP!

Where'd you take the class?
it's amazing how easy they make it look slinging them fat pigs around. never thought he'd be able to keep it in the box!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Did that on a Honda Rebel in MSF too.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
lol, I had to take a redepoyment refresher on thursday. I hated those 250's I dragged pegs at every turn. The instructer was laughing so hardf at us sport riders because we kept missing the pegs. Then when I got on the SV I was missing the other way

·
Registered
114 Posts
I understand the importance of slow speed maneuvers for parking lots and such. However, what benefit does being able to do minimum radius turns offer aside form that? I'm taking intermediate instruction here in Colorado and sure enough, the instructor insists I must master these slow speed extremely tight turns before he'll work with me on more advanced street riding. He's got me doing circles with my handle bars turned as far as they'll go the whole time.

Msurk

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Nice job. I got to take the MSF on my SV since it was on base and they were limited on bikes. I had been riding for a few months at the time so I was comfortable on my bike. During all the turning drills I wouldn't hit the brakes before taking turns, I would just sling the bike around. The instructors started saying I had to at least make the brake light come on so the exercise would count.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I understand the importance of slow speed maneuvers for parking lots and such. However, what benefit does being able to do minimum radius turns offer aside form that? I'm taking intermediate instruction here in Colorado and sure enough, the instructor insists I must master these slow speed extremely tight turns before he'll work with me on more advanced street riding. He's got me doing circles with my handle bars turned as far as they'll go the whole time.

Msurk
I'm with you. I've probably just not been explained the importance of these slow tight turns but upon first glance they seem pointless.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The slow,tight turns aren't a necessity in everyday riding, but the first time you have a make a u-turn on a narrow street you'll appreciate having the ability to do it in one smooth action.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Wow, you guys are a lot more badass then I was in the MSF. They kept telling me "speed up!" I don't know how far I leaned the bike, but I KNOW I was nowhere near dragging peg!

·
Registered
667 Posts
The slow,tight turns aren't a necessity in everyday riding, but the first time you have a make a u-turn on a narrow street you'll appreciate having the ability to do it in one smooth action.
That was the biggest thing I learned in MSF, Every chance I get I practice Full lock turns.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I remember I cracked my instructor up. Doing the swerve around a stopped vehicle exercise, I did it flawlessly came to a stop and flipped the bird to the imaginary driver of the imaginary stopped vehicle.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I remember, on the first day, we got to do some Nascar style laps... We went around maybe 20 times. I was riding a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (**** that thing is tiny, but i'm really short too). Our instructor was riding a GZ250, and said "If you can, keep enough speed to drag the footpeg, I want you guys to realize that you won't instantly crash when it hits the ground." By the end, I could drag the left peg almost the whole turn.

The pegs on his Harley were half way ground down to nothing.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Msurk
The slow speed exercises teach you throttle control, clutch control, balance and vision.

Any time you make a right hand turn out of a parking lot or from a stop sign, that's a slow speed exercise. Same for slow moving traffic, or yes, parking lots.

What to you mean by "advanced street riding". Pointing a motorcycle down the road doesn't really require much. Slow-speed control, accident avoidance, and decision making are the main components of most street-oriented training.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts