Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting some sort of dual sport. I was mainly looking at DRZ supermotos but I'm not seeing a lot of them on the used market in my price range. I am seeing a lot of DR650s though. I would probably be 80/20 street/trail. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think they are solid bikes but I personally don't care for the look. I would consider KLR. HUUUUGE aftermarket.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm... I have seen newer KLRs in my range too but they look off to me. Maybe it's the fairings.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
368 Posts
That's weird - around here there seems to be more DRZ than DR650 for sale. Last year I narrowed missing buying a DR650, couldn't find another decent one, and ended up getting a DRZ400sm. The DRZ turned out awesome in the hills, and we don't have much dual-sport opportunities in the Bay Area anyway.

For the longest time I kept looking at DR650s on CL but I have never ridden one. People always say the DRZ is lighter (about 318 lbs wet) and revvier, while the DR650 is a little heavier (about 30 lbs more than the DRZ) and gruntier down low. From that I gathered the DRZ is more playful, whiel the DR650 is more of a long distance workhorse.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I came from an XR650 before i bought my SV. If you want a dirtbike that is street legal, get a dual sport. if you want a street bike that can go offroad, forget it. (unless you get a GS or something along those lines) Although the KLRs are more street than dirt one of those may not be too bad. I had to get something quicker (xr hated 60mph+). If you plan on getting it as a second bike go for it. Kinda wish i kept the XR for some around town fun.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm planning on keeping the SV. I would just like something to take with me to the U.P. when I go up there in the summer. My plan is to put street tires on it for most of the year and just put knobbies on when I take it up North. I think I am leaning back toward the DRZ400SM.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
don't get a KLR. people lvoe the huge aftermarket support. after having rode a big honda 650 and been on KLRs quite a bit, the honda's are lightyears ahead of the KLR. i hate the tall seat height of the KLR, and the top heaviness, and the very wide feel of the fairings and oversizedness.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Thoughts?
I own the direct predecessor, a 23-year old DR600 which I actually took to work today. :) I got it for commuting when there are other ways to go the same day and the bicycle won´t cut it timewise - and for some short touring and offroad errands (for which are not a lot of oppotunities in germany anyway). It does all that quite reasonably.

The DR650 is said to be improved in some parts that the DR600 is lacking - notably the front brake. Geometry is the same more or less. So here are my comments:

- Seat height is huge, but you probably expected that. For communting, I put on a Dakar seat which is several cm lower.
- Even with knobbies (not ultra-hardcore ones, though) street performance is surprisingly decent
- It goes up to about 140 - 150 km/h, but 90 is the way to go for relaxed street cruising
- Commuting and negotiating traffic - when the ol flatslide carbs are actually working - are a snap
- Brakes are weak - but the DR650 should be improved, as I said
- It´s a bit top heavy (you should´ve guessed so), but still very manageable
- Not a hardcore trail enduro, but gravel roads and just crossing the coutryside as a reaction to a "look at this beautifull small village over there" comment by the wife are no-brainers :)
- 6000 km service interval which is rather involved compared to say the SV
- It´s different enough to be a good companion to my SVS

Ultimately, I´d have liked to buy a DR 350 as they are lighter and not that much down on power, but these are quite expensive and I got the DR600 for a very good price from a friend who hadn´t time to ride it anymore and hated to see it sit around.

DR400 was out of the question pricewise - otherwise I´d gladly take one for the more modern engine and suspension and lower weight.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Loved my DR650, sold it with 53,000 miles. Wish I had another one. I'd definitely take it over a KLR, the DRZ is a little lighter and about the same power but the DR650 has more torque.

If I run across a good enough deal on a DR650 I WILL BE BUYING ANOTHER ONE.

·
Registered
304 Posts
As an owner of a DRZ I can tell you that it's quite the toy to bomb around town on and go on a trail within 100 miles.

But if you're ever looking to do a long term adventure somewhere there are by far many other better bikes out there for that specifically (not that DRZ won't do it, it will and many do, highways arent fun due to 5 gears, tank is small and needs to be changed to bigger and seat is a 2x4)

Good luck! I primary ride the DRZ now and 2 sv's are missing being used!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Dual sports are hard, because there's such a wide range of uses, with associated compromises and tradeoffs. No bike is good at everything, so more of one capability usually means less of another.
The DR650 is a really good all-around bike, and if I could have only one bike it would be on the short list. If you have a street bike though, maybe something a little better in the dirt would be good? It depends on what sort of dirt capability you want/need.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am just going to keep an eye on craigslist and get whatever the best deal I find is. I would still prefer a DRZ SM but people seem to think those are made of gold. I had been thinking I would just ride whatever I get to the UP when I go but maybe trailering it or putting it on one of those dirt bike carriers would be the best way to go.

Here is an example of a local DRZ. Just because you put on a bunch of aftermarket stuff and uglied it up with some skins does not make it worth 1K over retail.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2335828308.html

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm interested in this one but I think the seller wants a little too much for it. 3600 w/ the rack, handguards, and sliders or 3400 without. Probably not terrible but looking at some of the closeups, It looks like it has been left out and abused. I can see rust all over the bike - the barends, the rack, several bolts, the header, the handlebars, rotors, and valve stems plus it was dropped on the right side. Maybe I am being overly critical. If it were pristine I would probably do it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I guess so but for an SM pulling street duty, I would assume it would be washed and cleaned so you wouldnt get any rust. What would a good offer be, 3000?

·
Super Moderator
6,845 Posts
^ I think you (nucular) are spot-on about that one. Chances are not much regular maintenance has been done as well.

I'd personally pass on it. There are enough good ones out there.

Then there's this one from the "worst Craigslist motorcycle FS listing" thread -

ULTIMATE DRZ 400 SM - $9400 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you build the ultimate DRZ Super Moto? First you start with a low mileage 2007 DRZ. Then you spend over $5,000 on engine, suspension, carburetor, exhaust, tires and 100 other misc parts. The $5,000 is at dealer cost for parts!
What do you get when your finished?? YOU get a 464 CC, 285 pound, 60 horse power at the rear wheel, ultimate street slaying machine. What can this bike do? I have had every kind of bike you can imagine, and this super moto is the fasted bike off the line I have ever driven!! In the corners it will embarrass your friend's sport bikes. The tighter the corners the more you will slay them. Just broke in with 155 miles on a bullet proof and proven engine mod. If you had someone build your DRZ this way , you would have over $10,000 in time and materials. Plus the cost your DRZ!

Jay

1 - 20 of 51 Posts