Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

A new member of the website as of today.  Just looking around it looks like an awesome website.

I'm looking for advice from owners of the SV650S.  I currently ride a 2001 Yamaha YZF-R1.  Love the looks and style, however I'm not in love with the power. 

A little history of my riding.  I've been riding for about 3 and a half years.  My first bike was a 88' Suzuki Katana 600, sold it and bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic.  Loved the looks of the Vulcan... looked like an Indian with the swept back fenders.  Anyway, I sold the Vulcan because the lazy riding wasn't my style.  Sold the Vulcan, and bought a 94' Yamaha FZR1000.  Great bike!  Nice power but way too heavy.  Sold the FZR1000 when I came across ONE HELL OF A DEAL on a 2001 Yamaha R1 with low miles and was in new condition.  Still with me?  So, now I have my R1 for sale.

The reason...  I'm not having fun.  I know what you're thinking... how can you NOT have fun on a bike that has 130 horsepower?  Well, I think it's too much power for the street.  I don't do track days, and I don't ride 100 + mph.  When I ride I usually go out for a 60-70 mile ride on twisting county roads... at a sane speed.  I don't commute with it, it's just a toy.  The R1 has awesome power but I find myself worrying about SCREWING UP and hurting myself.  I have a wife and two children to worry about.  One thing I did notice about my Vulcan was that I could enjoy the ride, look around, and relax.  I'm a bundle of nerves on the R1 and I can't relax.  Riding should be fun right?

So, the question is this.  Would I be satisfied with the SV650S after owning a R1? Like I mentioned, I love the style of the R1, just not the power delivery.

Every article, and every review that I've read says that the SV650 is a great bike and I've yet to read ONE bad thing about it.  I want a light weight bike similar to the R1 and thought the SV650S might be a good choice.  Hell, it's even a V-TWIN!  The sound... oh ya!  It's a light bike, sporty, good all around bike, but would downsizing from a 130 horsepower bike to a 70 horsepower bike be TOO much of a downsize?  Maybe the SV1000S would be better?  At age 33 I'm just not ready to ga back to the SLOW, LAZY ride of a cruiser.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Go with the 1000 it's heaver then the 650 but it has great power that is not intimidating.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
neutom72-- Welcome to the site. Your question is a rare but excellent one... There are an awful lot of additional factors that add up to what your ideal bike might be, so I'll get the ball rolling:

Twin or I4?

Faired or naked?

Long trips, commuting, twisty blasts?

The SV650 is indeed a very cabable and fun bike. I guess my concern would be dropping your available horsepower in half going from an R1 to the 650. My first instinct was to reply that the SV1K or a supersport (current race rep or CBRF4i/YZF600R/ZZR600) might be more to your liking as the power hit would not be as substantial. Also, have you considered the VFR?

Hang tight, you'll likely get a flood of responses from posters who have ridden a ton more bikes than I. Best wishes, and ride well...

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I say go for it. If you want a sane mount for the twisties, with enough power to still have fun, then the SV650 would be a perfect fit. I know there are a ton of 'seasoned' riders on here (like myself) that have a ball on our SVs. If you sold your R1, I'm sure you could buy a lightly used (or even new) SV, and then proceed to mod it out reasonably well. You may even have money leftover.

The way the V-twin makes power sounds like it would be a great fit for your riding style and tastes. Where are you? Maybe there's someone on here that will let you take their bike out for a spin to see how you like it.

BTW, I've been riding 13 years....

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
I have similar story to yours, I had a CBR900RR. I loed the look and style of the bike but it had mre power than I really needed and to be honest, than I was really prepared to handle. Sure I could cruise around town on it without any problem but when it came to getting down and dirty, I just wasn't ready for everything it had. We started looking for a bike for my wife and I haerd about the SV650, read a couple articles in a magazine, did some research online, found this website and started checking it out. We decided it was the perfect bike for her so we picked one up in april. We both love it, I've taken it to the track once and it was great. A little slower than alot of the bikes in the straights but it really makes up for it in the turns. Still, I felt it was a little short on power, I had, after all, been riding the RR for five years and was used to having alot more power ready to be tapped. Last week I picked up my SV, an '05 1000. So far only 165 miles on it but I cant wait to be done with the break in so I can open it up. You should check one out, ride one if you have the chance, it is heavier than the 650 but there is certainly weight to trim and it has the power to make up for the weight.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
No offense to those in love with the SV1000 - but compared to an R1, it might feel as if it handles like a truck. That's not a dig - just darn near reality. Read the head-to-head SV1 vs. SV650 that was out a year or two ago. I don't know that moving from one liter bike (known for a lack of low-end torque compared to its rivals) to a liter bike known for lots of low-end. That low end is what's going to break the back end loose exiting corners.

Either bike will likely feel a bit loosy-goosy compared to the ultra-taught R1. The 650 lets you grab big handfuls of throttle without worrying too much about outrunning traction. In that regard - it'll likely feel underpowered, at least initially until you learn how to get the most out of it.

It's a very different ride. The suspension will feel a bit 'less than' compared to the R1, but numerous remedies exist. The SV (either one), above all else, is about laugh-out-loud fun.

You're not the first person to have this issue with 'Too Much'. But -

Ride either like you would the R1 and you'll hate it. Ride it to accentuate the positives (low end, snappy handling, groovy engine note) and I think you'll find you'll enjoy yourself more and scare yourself less.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome, it's great to see a post like this. Most people deny that they can't use every drop of hp out of a 130hp bike on the street. Nice to hear from someone honest. I think the 650 is exactly what you are looking for. As long as you are under 185lbs or so you won't miss the hp that much. If you are a heaver rider then I would consider the 1000. Even with the 650 you will not believe the low end grunt it has. I tried my buddy's zrex 1200 and it felt a little soft down low for me, of course like the R1 once you hit that upper rpm range you are blasted to outerspace. But for normal riding and the usual weekend racerboy antics the 650 rules. Like a member said on the board a while back, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. If you go with the 650 you will be a bit upset with the primative suspension compared to the top of the line the R1 came with but it's nothing that can't be worked on. Good luck, join us ;D

Under200

·
Registered
90 Posts
While most seem to be saying that the power drop from the One to the SVS 650 would be too much, I disagree, based on what you've told us about your riding style.

The SV, with it's vtwin, has lots of low end torque, which make it feel more powerful from low revs. Also, you say that you don't ride 100+. The SVS will top out at around 125 mph, and I find it is happiest cruising at around 90 mph. Also, if you drop the gearing, you'll find the bike feel even quicker, albiet at a loss of top speed. Wasn't a problem for me, as I find it just slowed me down to a more officer friendly 80 mph average cruise.

That said, I'll trade you my nicely modded 04 SVS for your One. right now. Okay? ;D

·
Registered
132 Posts
What amazes me the most about the power thing is that the power the SV makes is comparable to racebikes of the 60's and seventies. That may not seem like a big deal but guys like Mike Hailwood were beating Jap bikes with 100 horsepower compared to his 77 on the Ducati 900. The beauty of the SV is that you can wring it out and have a blast. I have no desire to do 160 on the street, that is pure stupidity. I have been riding 25 years and the SV is the smallest bike I have owned but it is the most fun. A lot of people on this board have downsized, you are the perfect candidate for the SV.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just sold my 02 954RR for my 2004 SV650. I haven't owned a 600 in years (other than an F4i a year ago for about 3 months). So I was pretty nervous I'd be "boorred" with the SV in a few weeks. Nothing but the opposite. I'm having a blast! The SV has a lot of character, it's hard to explain but the SV has a lot of soul. My best friend has a 04 R1 and we've switched back and forth a few times. Each time we do he can't wait to get back to his R1 and I can't wait to get back to the SV. So it's not for everyone, but for those who get it really like it! If that makes sense.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Try to ride both if you can. They can both handle very well. Both should respond to suspension tweaks very well.
I nail the 1k pretty hard out of corners and never have problems with it... can feel it squirm a little but not breaking loose.

Being on the short side I felt like the 1k was a bit too tall and heavy feeling coming from a 600 SS. After I got used to it and raised the fork tubes up through the triples a bit I find that I ride it much harder/faster than I ever did my 600.

Random things I remember most from riding both is again the height/weight difference... The power difference is quite drastic, yet the 1k is still very managable because of it's extremely wide power band. The 650 I found myself winding out extremely quick and running much higher revs. The 650 felt smoother when on the power. The 1000 can be ridden like a docile machine or can tug at your arms pretty good.

Both are fun... I'd love to have an SV650 but would probably keep the 1k for the street and run the piss out of the 650 at the track.

Another member here recently sold his R1 for a 1st gen sv650. I remember him stating... half the power, twice the fun. ;D

Tough decision you have ahead of you. Good luck.

·
Registered
899 Posts
GO WITH THE SV650S! I LOVE THE HECK OUT OF MINE. I JUST WENT FROM A 2003 CBR600RR WITH OVER 100 HP TO THE SV. I WAS ALWAYS PUSHING THE 10000+ RPM RANGE TO THE 15500 RED LINE. NICE TO JUST POLL ON THE THROTTLE OF THE V-TWIN. A FEW MODS (EXHAUST AND POWER COMMANDER) WILL BOST THE GRUNT OF THE 650. MY SV650 IS FUN WITH PLENTY OF POWER FOR MY 180 LBS! WECOME TO THE SITE!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts