Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Ive got a copper pointy sporty from 2003.
Bike has been rarely ridden for the last 10 years. I bought it in july last year and done about 3000miles. 8000miles total now. Im in UK.

December 23rd i have left the bike at my workplace warehouse. Everything was working great. I MIGHT have left it in 1st gear.

January 6th i start it up and roll out. Immediately notice that I now have a PROBLEM:

The bike doesnt shift into 1st gear while in motion, or doesnt shift couple of gears down.
So if I go to 3rd gear, i can shift to second, but not 1st. If i go to 5th gear, i can downshift to 3rd, but no lower and will have to start from 3rd..
Atleast thats what it feels like.

- I press down on the lever, it goes all the way down but nothing happens. Just a free motion. Nothing engages. After some riding or shifting up and squeezing clutch on bitepoint, i finally manage to shift down.
- When it finally drops into 1st gear, the gear lever doesnt get blocked, like usually, from pressing down. (Thats when you know youre in 1st, you know what i mean?) It still has full motion just as if there was somewhere to shift into, except nothing happens.

I hope you guys can help me out with this... I suspect that the mechanism that blocks the lever from going down while youre on 1st gear is getting stuck? Lubrication needed? But then why would i have full motion of lever but no shifting? Like Ive said, befora storage everything was working great.

Oil change 10w40 was done 200 miles ago, its still pink inside... I doubt temp in the unit went below 0 degrees celsium much during those 2 weeks. Ive ridden the bike for 2 hrs+, on 2 separate days now.

QUESTION: Is it better to be left alone untill i figure whats wrong, or do i ride it to work and hope problem goes away as mechanisms get worked through/relube in process?

Thanks for reading.

·
Super Moderator
8,095 Posts
...Like Ive said, befora storage everything was working great.
Try shoot some penetrating lube on the external shift linkage and pivots. It everything was fine before sitting then fair chance that is all that is wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...Like Ive said, befora storage everything was working great.
Try shoot some penetrating lube on the external shift linkage and pivots. It everything was fine before sitting then fair chance that is all that is wrong. Good luck.
Thanks, Im trying it with wd40 and gt85.

Sound like the return spring on the shift mechanism could be out of place or broken.

Mad
I ll have a look for it if spraying externally wont help, appreciate the thought.

The sidestand is not in the way of the lever, Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts