8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discussion thread:
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=103422

Gonna be pulling posts from other boards...try and put all in here:

some changes for the Sv1K this year...
Decided to build a bobber........

NOT.......

Merging on a 06/07 GSXR 600/750 tail.....

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I made some progress this weekend on getting further along on this project. I designed and redesinged 4 different ways to make the seat/cowl latch mount and be strong enough..this weekend, I finally came up with a way that I would be happy with.....here are some further pics:

Its not the prettiest mount, but since its all gonna be up in tail, I am not too worried about it. Just as long as its functional.

The excess angle will be cut off...for now they just server as the perfect size spacer I needed.

Looks even better when I have the tank on there.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The initial concept:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Made some more progress this week/weekend.....since I was not out riding in the sunny weather....LOL

I got my custom brake lines in from cyclebrakes......went with Galfers like I had on there, but went with gold fittings and banjos..except for the master.....to which I wanted a bleeder master...and they only had that in silver. I installed and bled those....decided while I was at it, may as well bleed the rear system, since I got rid of my res delete kit and got one of those Vandriver units..pretty nice. I did forget until after that I wanted to install a pressure brake switch...since I did away with the stock switch over a year ago. Always can bleed again.

These are also the first pics showing the bars I put on there..Tag's. Thus why I needed longer brakes lines and throttle cables. I am gonna have to extend some wires too....just too tight when turned lock to lock. Since this bike will mostly be used for commuting and longer rides now, and my ass getting old, the clip ons had to go. I loved them for the twisties, but the ride there and back always killed me.

I also made a plate to move the fairings out 1" forward. Before I did that, with my test fittings, lock to lock had a lot of issues...damper issues, as well as controls hitting the upper edges of the fairing. I did not want to mess with cutting down my fairing, so I solved it my moving it one inch.

The front fender is off since I am either gonna get a new one, or put a new gel coat on the one I got...its needs a little touching up. We'll see where the bank account is after some other stuff.

I am also a little way through fabbing a battery tray for inside the tail.

Oh yeah..did it a while ago..but again, first pics showing it...swapped out the 03 750 forks for a crazy deal I got on some 02 1000 forks....just had to replace the seals.

Onto the pics:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have not touched the bike in a week or so..since my last posting. I have been toiling with what I wanted to do........as far as the look of the front end. The bars being high at first did bother me a bit, but in the end, they are going to stay right where they are. I considered milling down the risers, but there is only about 3/4" under where the bars are above the top triple as it is, and if they came down any further, I'd lose the ability to adjust the suspension with out taking the bars off....not something I wanna do. Not to mention I do not wanna put a bunch more work into that top triple, or mess with the strength of the risers by shortening the cap bolts.

I also still like, even though I moved it out an inch, that the line of the body..the front clip...still follows the line of the body on the frame of the bike..and in my opinion, still flows nicely. It will probably look even better once I get the chin fairing back on the bike...hopefully tie the new tail and front end together well.

I did have a brief thought about going full naked and getting rid of the whole front clip, and going to an aftermarket headlight set up, or Vrod headlight..but they are either way too pricey, or already done on many bikes, I decided best way to be different is just to keep the stock front end on there.

Also, this is gonna be more commuter usage than anything else....so keeping the wind resistance and comfort is important to me...thus why I took off the clip ons and replaced with a bar set up. I keep all my spare parts for this bike, so I can always go back..front end or tail, at any time.

So, for now, imagine this pic below with a chin fairing on and the tail in silver....and hopefully I can make that vision become reality here in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was in shop tonight finishing up some front axle sliders for some people..so I also made some support brackets for the exhaust hangers I am using.......for the tail swap competition..I am pretty happy with how they came out:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so back to my build....I finally got to do some work on my own bike today. I worked on mounting up my passenger peg mounts. I ended up going with some 08 GSXR 1000's ones, since they had exhaust mounts on both sides. I had tried messing with mounting them reverse, since in their normal mounting position, would have the exhaust hanger face forwards, which did not seem natural to me. If I had done that, I would have cut off cargo net hooks, or what ever you wanna call them. I ended up mounting them the way they were normally, since they just worked better that way...even with the exhaust mounts on the front side.

Now I'll just have to fab up some mounts to connect the hanger mount to the actual exhaust can hanger strap.

It will still show a good amount of negative space, and yet still be functional..ie, a place for the wife to put her feet and not hit the back of mine.

Onto the pics:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made some links up in shop tonight....I think once painted with rest of subframe stuff, they will work just fine.

And yes, I clean up cans again so you will not see where clamps used to be

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...was replying to some talking about moving the cans up....

The exhaust cans are staying exactly as they are..they match the angle of the tail exactly...by design.

Maybe it will show better once I get it outside, but here is the pic again....check out the angle. I am not worried about the angle of the seat..just the angle of the cans to the angle of the bottom of the tail itself.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, not completely done, but did make some headway....got new throttle cables on**, with the proper snap back..which too way longer than you would think it would, installed the airbox, new filter, got al, wasl connectors back where they should be..got all stainless bolts properly antisneezed, topped off coolant, and loctited all the exhaust hanger bolts...bunch of small stuff each night. Got the template made for making my new side covers too...they will be molded up over the next week.

** what should have been easy, was not, I had to pop off the throttle bodies to get the new cables on and properly adjust everything....that was easy......got the throttle back on and had a 45 minute delay getting the **** right side bar weight on...the freekin nut/rubber thing sunk 6" into the Tag bar and I had to jury rig another one....complete time killer.

For the most part, its ready to hook up the fuel line and wires on tank and take it outside to start up. needs an oil change and side covers still, but its just about ready to ride. need to make a plate hold too.....at least to ride it legally.

How it sits now:

And my fat ass sitting on the bike....with the ergos way better than they were with the clip ons.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am again, not 100% done...I'd say 99%...never ending 99%..LOL. BUT, I was able to get enough stuff done between yesterday and today to get it able to ride. I got the tank on and wired up again, a plate holder made so I could throw on the plate, and ghetto'd the TO sensor with a ziptie just to be able to take it out today.

Really all that is left is to complete the fabrication of some larger side panels...just a little longer on the back side and come up a little higher to the seat bottom. I need to clean my junk room to find the rubber mounts for the belly pan, and do an oil change..and it will be where I want it to be. So then I will just ride it for a while.

I can then get back onto buttoning up the fighter...then, dare I say, take a break and just enjoy the **** things. I have three CB's in the wings..but they can wait. Although I do look forward to going in a new direction and working on a different style bike.

What I learned today:
- I forgot how fun this thing is to ride and how great the torque is.
- the bars are awesome...no buzzing, no sore wrists, no more aching back..the ergo's are working.
- I do not know how much light I made the whole thing..I stopped counting at 12 lbs saved...but the front wheel comes up really easy now...even easier than before. My guess is the bars are responsible for a good part of that.
- The seat needs some serious fixing. I need to repad the **** thing with twice as much..and boost it in the front so it does not crush the nuts on every bump and push me into the tank. I also need to refigure the support of it..the rear pads of the seat are resting on the newly made subframe rails...which is perfect..the front pads( little black rubber things on seat bottom) are resting on the rear of the rear tank mount. I thought it was gonna be fine, but it almost feels like the seat is flexing in middle..something else to fix...no biggie.
- I still love riding and hearing that big Vtwin....it rocks.

Onto some outside pics, instead of all these low light inside pics:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And outside with the fighter......wearing the belly pan again. has a different front fender now too.

And the new little Brembo resi I installed today.

Don't mind the milky condensation on the CCC...its what happens when you run it for 5 minutes and not let the moisture cook off. I have a fix for that though.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is all for now.

Mags/Dack...who ever else..thanks for getting the build board up and going. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
List of upgrades/changes from stock:

03 RC51 front brake master
02 GSXR 1000 USD front end(rebuilt)
08 GSXR 600 fender( not in pics yet)
03 GSXR 1000 6 pot front calipers and discs
Vesrah pads for GSXR 1000 calipers
02 GSXR 750 trees, modified with risers for TAG bars, MX risers
Gold Pazzo levers
03 GSXR 1000 rear shock
04 GSXR 1000 rear caliper, hanger, and Galfer SS line
Pro grips gel grips, and LP bar ends
Tinted windscreen( I forget brand)
Removed clear clutch window kit
VanDriver gold billet rear res set up
DZC custom frame sliders and axle sliders
New MotionPro extended Throttle cables
New Galfer SS brake lines..extended( cyclebrakes.com rocks)
DougZ Custom built subframe
06/07 GSXR 600-750 tail section
08 GSXR 1000 pass peg mounts/exhaust hangers....custom can mount extenders
DZC custom plate holder
LP LED blinker relay

Already existing upgrades at time of this change:
Yosh RS 3 cans
Vortex rearsets
DID Chain

...some of the other stuff listed above too...like the brake swaps.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, so far, from this stock:

To this now:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts