Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an experience last night that i'll never forget.

dropping your motorcycle when its not running and theres no key in it is something that can be completely avoided if you just pay closer attention to the situation at hand.

yesterday night i had to move my bike a couple inches forward to squeeze my car into a parking spot due to the very tight parking in my complex. i moved it onto the street a little bit and went to hop off to park the car quickly when a car came barreling around the corner and startled me and i acted more swiftly and hopped off the bike not noticing my kickstand was not down the whole way, by the time i noticed that was the case i was laying on the ground and so was the bike.

ended up having some scraps on my shoulder, bump on my face and head from a 0 mile an hour drop.

only damage to report is some scraps to the fairings, a broken turn-signal and a broken clutch end. my fieldsheer saddlebags took alot of the weight of the bike and acted almost as a frame slider.

So lesson for everyone who may be reading this is to double check your kickstand before dismounting and having the bike running may have helped the situation as well since i would of had the neutral indicator and saftey switch knowing the stand was down properly.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If it makes you feel better I had two 0mph (well the one might have been a 1mph) drops in one week on my last trip. Different circumstances (took my bike where it didn't belong), but I still had my bike taking naps twice.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I sometimes make bad decisions. :roflmao:
SV = Adventure bike. Just keep telling yourself (and everyone) that it loves it.

Because it does...

:) Took mine on some Jeep trails a couple weeks back... lucky I had a passenger to hold the backend down haha turned out to be a bunch of muddy steep hills :)

Its more dirtbike that people realize lol.

Droping your bike isn't so bad... that's why I bought a wrecked SV for 1800 hehe- took the fairings off it- added sliders... slapped a bunch of dumb stickers on the scratches and just ride it :)

I don't understand "super shiny new" when its so easy to things to go wrong and turn it into a pile of scrap metal- id much rather be worried about the ride, this corner etc... than thinking about what Ill have to fix and pay for if its dropped.

Sorry ranting- at least your okay! :)

EDIT: Max- did you skin a bear for that seat cover/cushion? I kinda want one :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
SV = Adventure bike. Just keep telling yourself (and everyone) that it loves it.

Because it does...

:) Took mine on some Jeep trails a couple weeks back... lucky I had a passenger to hold the backend down haha turned out to be a bunch of muddy steep hills :)

Its more dirtbike that people realize lol.

Droping your bike isn't so bad... that's why I bought a wrecked SV for 1800 hehe- took the fairings off it- added sliders... slapped a bunch of dumb stickers on the scratches and just ride it :)

I don't understand "super shiny new" when its so easy to things to go wrong and turn it into a pile of scrap metal- id much rather be worried about the ride, this corner etc... than thinking about what Ill have to fix and pay for if its dropped.

Sorry ranting- at least your okay! :)

EDIT: Max- did you skin a bear for that seat cover/cushion? I kinda want one :)
The seat pad is a sheepskin one. It's nice for long mile touring days. However, this is just a piece of sheepskin. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten on the sheepskin ones with a gel or foam insert under it.

... Oh and I bought my SV with an R title. It had only minor damage at the point, was two years old, and only $2600. I promptly wrecked it on the highway less than 500 miles after buying and was happy I didn't spring for an immaculate one!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've had some close-calls for that,
P.S. Never wear dress shoes, that's how I sadly dropped mine.
Thank god for deadlifts if you lift

·
Registered
337 Posts
another side stand tip...
the PO i got my bike from told me to check that the stand is tight occasionally. he had just gotten the bike back from service and at about 60 it was fully cutting off, would start again just to cut out...
long story short a loose stand can trigger the saftey kill switch while riding.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts