Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparing to install my new Galfer SS lines I purchased some DOT5 fluid.
On the bottle it says, "DOT5 silicone brake fluid should not be used in brake systems containing DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid".
Do they just mean don't mix them or are they saying that if your bike came with DOT4 only use DOT4?

Sorry if the answer is obvious.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think it warns against mixing. If you flush your system completely, you should be fine.

Also, make sure you got the right double banjo bolt from Galfer and that the threading is correct. Don't be an idiot like me and strip your MC because you didn't realize the thread was incorrect until too late.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Negative!

Do NOT use that fluid in your bike. Your braking performance will be compromised. You want DOT5.1 or DOT4, not the silicone stuff it has a lower boiling point than those.

It will also ruin any rubber that has previously come in contact with DOT3, DOT4 or DOT5.1 fluid. This includes vital braking components.

DOT3, DOT4 and DOT5.1 are all compatible with each other, but NOT DOT5.0 silicone based.

·
Registered
606 Posts
LMAO at TJ's remark ::) You could put nearly any liquid - from sprite, jet fuel, vinegar or 3in1 oil in and it would work without too much issue. LOL

Don't waste your money on DOT5, it's not the devil but it is old tech and does break down some types of rubber hoses & seals.

You might try one of the newer high grade race fluids from Motul, AP, Braking, Castrol etc. Or go with something well proven like ATe Superblue.

No matter what brand fluid you use you are far better off with well bleed clean fresh brake fluid than old dirty stuff regardless if it boils at 585 or 600 or 700 degrees. New, moisture free and fresh seems to be better everytime. Probably not a good idea to use cheap DOT3 that might boil if you use a lot of brakes often...

If you can flush all the old stuff out. Parts cleaner, solvent etc, a little compressed air. Clean is good, Dry is good. Remember air rises in fluid so a bleeder at the top helps a lot! if you don't have one crack the top banjo bolt and get the big stuff out there! ;)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nudist said:
Clayton, are most of the fluids you mentioned DOT4, and fairly comparable?
All of the fluids he mentioned are DOT4 or 5.1. Best bang for the buck IMO is Valvoline SYN Power, cheap and DOT4.

Clayton, I dont see what you saw in my reply as laughable, because you mentioned all the same things I did in your reply.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
DucOwner said:
NEGATIVE...  I found it humorous ;D  IMO you are correct, no debate!
Sorry, missread your post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts