Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's unreal, and I know this isn't a new topic, but damn...

I just got off the phone with a bike shop that I've done plenty of business with in the past (actually bought my SV there back in '02). My wife just got her permit, and I'm looking for a nice starter bike for her - Rebel, GZ250, etc...

So the kid that answers the phone doesn't know me from Adam, asks me what I'm looking for, and I tell him "a small, lightweight, starter bike for a wife to learn on". He tells me, "well, we've got a Marauder on the floor". I tell him that's not really a starter bike, I had an Intruder for years and it's basically the same thing. He said, and I quote:

"Naw, it's a great starter bike, it doesn't make a lot of power, it's only got two cylinders" :shock: :shock: :shock:

They really will try to sell you anything - no wonder there's so many noobies flying around on 600SS' I mean shit, they've only got 599 cc's - if you can touch your tip toes to the ground on one side, you're good to go!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Not all motorcycle sales folks are motorcycle riders or enthusiasts.

But you're right: they should know/care about what they are selling and the people they are selling to. And they surely should know better than to b.s. a potential customer who knows what he wants... :roll:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Six Chin Skinny said:
Not all motorcycle sales folks are motorcycle riders or enthusiasts.
You're right, I know it's just another sales job for a lot of people, which is unfortunate. But in this particular case it's worse than that - this shop that I called is not a dealer, he's a repair/performance shop that has a couple of used bikes on the floor. There are no sales staff at all. The guy that answered the phone was one of his mechanics - you would think (hope?) that he knows better.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I have been teaching the gf to ride on a 2002 GZ250 and she loves it. She got her license and has even begun going for rides on her own. I'd highly recommend it as a first bike. At 300lb you can't beat it for the weight. Nothing else comes close. The only issue I have w/ it is that it can only do about 60. That means it can't do highways at all and on big hills in the mountains sometimes she'll slow to 50 or so.

I am now looking for a Savage and move her to a slightly more powerful bike. Its a 650cc that is based on the GZ and only weights 50lbs more. I could have bought a Savage right away, but I think she wouldn't have progressed as fast. Currently on any road under 60 she is right there behind me taking corners and leaning damn good ....

If I find a Savage soon .... your welcome to buy my GZ250. Its a '02 w/ approx 4k miles. I'm thinking somewhere about $2,000 for it ..... I'm sure we could work something out ....

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regular_Joe said:
If I find a Savage soon .... your welcome to buy my GZ250. Its a '02 w/ approx 4k miles. I'm thinking somewhere about $2,000 for it ..... I'm sure we could work something out ....
Thanks - keep me updated

·
Registered
419 Posts
But in this particular case it's worse than that - this shop that I called is not a dealer, he's a repair/performance shop that has a couple of used bikes on the floor.
If he's a mechanic, the kid's probably not even being compensated for selling bikes, and you want him to care? Plus, you say he's only got two bikes to choose from. The other one's probably a gixxer, so what do you expect him to say? If he's got any sales sense at all, he isn't going to say "I don't have one". Instead he's going to recommend the tamer of the two he's got.

Personally, I've never gotten a good deal on a used bike from a dealer, and I would hate to start someone learning on a brand new bike. I find my used bikes in cycletrader or the local newspaper classified section. Do your own research on what's a good starter bike. I wouldn't trust the recommendation of any salesperson on that subject anyway.

From what I observe, many dealerships are selling mostly sportbikes, dirt bikes and cruisers. The first two categories seem mostly to be bought by kids. The dealerships seem to think that they can hire kids on the cheap and that kids can effectively sell bikes to other kids. And that may well be true. I notice the financial guy who approves the sales and financing is usually the most mature person in the place. One place near me actually hires cute young girls as salespeople and I bet they book more sportbike sales than anyone in that shop. I never see THEM just standing around.

It seems like everything is set up to encourage new street riders to buy a supersport. It's a cryin' shame.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy S said:
Personally, I've never gotten a good deal on a used bike from a dealer, and I would hate to start someone learning on a brand new bike. I find my used bikes in cycletrader or the local newspaper classified section. Do your own research on what's a good starter bike. I wouldn't trust the recommendation of any salesperson on that subject anyway.
Cycletrader is a great place to buy and sell bikes. And like I said, I knew what I wanted before I called him - I learned on a Rebel years ago, so I definitely wasn't asking him for a recommendation, I just wanted to know what he had available.

·
Registered
37 Posts
lame...but at least your wife has you to look out for bullshit statements like that...imagine some noobs who would actually believe that guy...

- alex

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
about the finance guy being the most mature. no shit, that fudger is one serious mofo. All he cares about is numbers and not much else.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I can understand why you're disagreeing w/the kid and can understand why it wouldn't be recommended as a starter but, I started on a Marauder- I think it was a great bike for me to learn on. I never dropped it, it was easy to work on, easy to ride and was reliable as hell. I also took the MSF course. But and even easier bike to learn on is the Yamaha V-Star 650- you should think about getting her one of those too.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
ride_naked said:
I can understand why you're disagreeing w/the kid and can understand why it wouldn't be recommended as a starter but, I started on a Marauder- I think it was a great bike for me to learn on. I never dropped it, it was easy to work on, easy to ride and was reliable as hell. I also took the MSF course. But and even easier bike to learn on is the Yamaha V-Star 650- you should think about getting her one of those too.
+1 on the V-Star 650. My buddy had one and it was a pussycat. Nice ride, balanced, low, and reliable. Great starter bike as it would be hard to get into trouble with it.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
You think that he was bad with you - you should have your wife call and see how they speak to her. I have been in dealerships where they looked at me like I wouldn't know a bike if I fell over it - just cos I have boobies! :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts