Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, aside from my latest post.. this is a new topic. I washed my bike today, And did some sanding to the cheap spray job the PO did to it. Well, I just was gonna ride to my girlfriends house. and my bike wouldn't start. well it started. Didn't stay going. so I started it up again. this time recording with my phone, cause I know something's wrong...

http://youtu.be/NXI50kbtmeg

I thought maybe battery, but It was running.. now It wont 0_0

Edit, this was on full choke too. Wasn't running up in RPM's like it normally does.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
For starters, the battery is dead.

Charge the battery, or get a new one if you think that one is kaput. If its the one from the PO that could be very likely.

You will have to charge a brand new battery too. Some people assume they come charged up.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Battery is definitely toast or you just ran it dead from trying to start it.
+1. I ran a Vulcan dead a few weeks ago because I forgot to turn the petcock to ON (not my bike). Had to roll start it down a hill after I realized the noob mistake.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'll give it a charge. I'm sure its stock battery. so I might go buy a new one.. maybe. if it don't charge. Ill post more once I know more. Thanks.

Edit: What about the bike being on full choke, and still not acting like it normally does? Is it possible that water got into the spark plug connectors and caused the front not to fire, then it started to fire? Wouldn't that be kinda a big problem? I know my GS could run on one cylinder. I don't know if that would be the same as the SV.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Okay, I'll give it a charge. I'm sure its stock battery. so I might go buy a new one.. maybe. if it don't charge. Ill post more once I know more. Thanks.
If you have a stock battery on a Gen 1 it's probably time for a change sir.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You will have to charge a brand new battery too. Some people assume they come charged up.
They do if you ask the shop nicely the day before you want to pick it up. ;)

I'm going with the prevailing opinion, get a new battery and you should be all set. Look at the drain hole in the spark plug boot and clean it out if plugged, but any water from washing it today will be evaporated soon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
clearly, the problem is that its a 4 stroke and one of the cylinders is missing
well one of the cylinders aren't missing, it would of been a lot silent-er. But it is a 4 stroke. Thanks for playing.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
well one of the cylinders aren't missing, it would of been a lot silent-er. But it is a 4 stroke. Thanks for playing.
No, usually if one of the cylinders goes out on the 650 it gets a lot louder, and just sounds really weird all together...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, usually if one of the cylinders goes out on the 650 it gets a lot louder, and just sounds really weird all together...
I unplugged 1 cylinder when I got the bike to make sure both we're firing. it sounded less noisy. Maybe its my hearing. one to many explosives have went off near it.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I unplugged 1 cylinder when I got the bike to make sure both we're firing. it sounded less noisy. Maybe its my hearing. one to many explosives have went off near it.
When you're riding it, it is different. The bike needs more RPMs to run at the same speed, so if you're used to the speed and RPM noise ratio you'll think the bike is running a lot louder.

It obviously doesn't actually run any louder overall, you're just hearing higher RPMs with half the combustion than you're used to at a given speed.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I think Gel batteries come charged, don't they?

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you're riding it, it is different. The bike needs more RPMs to run at the same speed, so if you're used to the speed and RPM noise ratio you'll think the bike is running a lot louder.

It obviously doesn't actually run any louder overall, you're just hearing higher RPMs with half the combustion than you're used to at a given speed.
rpm depends on the gear, not the power.

If in neutral, then yes, this would be true.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
8,916 Posts
As everyone has said, you got battery trouble; need to fix that before going further. The battery could be failed, or simply discharged. Charge it up and see what happens. This bike is new to you?

Once the battery is charged, measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine is at 5k rpm. 13.5 to 15v means the charging system is good, outside that range means fail. It is common for the gen1 SV, to have charging system problems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As everyone has said, you got battery trouble; need to fix that before going further. The battery could be failed, or simply discharged. Charge it up and see what happens. This bike is new to you?

Once the battery is charged, measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine is at 5k rpm. 13.5 to 15v means the charging system is good, outside that range means fail. It is common for the gen1 SV, to have charging system problems.
Involving the charging coils? Or What exactly, so if the charged battery is fine. what else should I look at? Hopfully its the battery.. last time, I kinda had the same problem. a nice chunk was blown out of an beat exhaust valve.. Really don't wanna pull out that god forsaken valve compression tool.. Ironic, I have a valve compression tool, but no pressure check gauge.

·
Super Moderator
8,916 Posts
Involving the charging coils? Or What exactly, so if the charged battery is fine. what else should I look at?
The common failure is the R/R (Regulator/Rectifier). The stator coils rarely fail, but it does happen. First thing to do though is charge the battery, then check the charging voltage. :)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
rpm depends on the gear, not the power.

If in neutral, then yes, this would be true.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App
But the speed you're traveling depends on the power, and to achieve the same amount of power with one cylinder you'll need a higher RPM.... It's similar to, but not quite as simple as this:

It takes me 3000RPM in 2nd gear to travel 20mph on an SV650. It will therefore take me 6000RPM in 2nd gear to travel 20mph on an SV325.

Obviously those numbers are made up and more complicated, but that is exactly what happens when one cylinder goes out on the SV. and 6000RPM is louder than 3000RPM, which was the point of my original post.

·
Registered
608 Posts
But the speed you're traveling depends on the power, and to achieve the same amount of power with one cylinder you'll need a higher RPM.... It's similar to, but not quite as simple as this:

It takes me 3000RPM in 2nd gear to travel 20mph on an SV650. It will therefore take me 6000RPM in 2nd gear to travel 20mph on an SV325.

Obviously those numbers are made up and more complicated, but that is exactly what happens when one cylinder goes out on the SV. and 6000RPM is louder than 3000RPM, which was the point of my original post.
I agree with all the theory there, mostly since it happened about 6 hrs ago to me, but I don't think it was really all that much louder, just a weirder sound.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay charged it. So its not electrical, cause it won't turn over unless on full choke. It sits at proper idle on full choke. Turn it down to no choke it sits at like 800 rpm before it sputtered out and died. Soooo.. carbs??? I can get a video if you all need it.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 38 Posts